WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tank this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank this season?

Should we just tank this season and play for the number one draft pick in NCAA football?? lol

Re: Tank this season?

If only it were that easy. I just hope this season doesn't turn away a lot of the fair weather fans who decided to buy season tickets after the IA State win.

Comment

I'd rather tank the fanbase.
      at least the ones who are fairweather only,
      and the ones that act like the team is absolute crap when there is the slightest bit of a downturn.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
        and the ones that act like the team is absolute crap when there is the slightest bit of a downturn.
        Originally posted by dragon View Post
        If only it were that easy. I just hope this season doesn't turn away a lot of the fair weather fans who decided to buy season tickets after the IA State win.
        I completely agree with you two....I cant begin to explain how many times I've seen one or two losses (let alone 4) leave our dome nearly completely empty on game day. If you're gonna call yourself a real fan, ride with us even after the wheels fall off!!

Comment

Suck for Luck?.....Addison Luck (however old he is)

Comment

Originally posted by truepanther View Post
            I completely agree with you two....I cant begin to explain how many times I've seen one or two losses (let alone 4) leave our dome nearly completely empty on game day. If you're gonna call yourself a real fan, ride with us even after the wheels fall off!!
            We need to build a diehard fan base, like the Cubs and Hawkeyes have. Fans that show up ten years straight not just that one year we are good.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79 View Post
              I don't know if I would call the season at this point the slightest bit of downturn. 4- 0 to 4-4 is a pretty big downturn.
              "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

Uni will likely never have a large die hard fanbase. You couldnt get a ticket at the end of Sanders career. Where did all those people go? You cant say uni wasnt fun to watch that year.

Uni basketball sells tickets for $5 just a few years after the sweet 16.

Two bcs conference schools in a state this size makes for a very steep hill to climb.

Having gone to games the last 20+ years i can say with confidence this season sucks. Looking forward to next year.
                Last edited by run&blade; 10-29-2013, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                  Having gone to games the last 20+ years i can say with confidence this season sucks. Looking forward to next year.
                  Of course this year sucks.

If it didn't, you would be nowhere to be found.
                  Originally posted by TH1974
                  This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                    Of course this year sucks.

If it didn't, you would be nowhere to be found.
                    I am damned forever for sayong controversial things on the basketball board like....

You are what your record says it is
                    Blame the coach or the talent or both. Nothing else to blame.
                    Uni will goes as far as Olivier takes them. (He did nothing and uni was a repeat of the prior season)

Boy these were sure major attacks. I should have just said i love this team and next year things will be better.

People want to act like uni is bigtime but if you dare criticize them a certain segment of the fan base acts like you just beat up a girl scout.
                    Last edited by run&blade; 10-29-2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

What did you say when we were 4-0 and ranked #4?
                      Originally posted by TH1974
                      This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

Originally posted by truepanther View Post
                        I agree with you. In the end it is student athletes we are talking about, and we should support, regardless where a season is headed. Does a recruit want to come to a place where the fan base abandons you with a loss or two??

Now on the professional level, I think it is different. As a fan you can vote with your dollar. For instance, what incentive does Cubs ownership have to put a contender on the field? Not much, because they make hands over fist cash regardless of how bad the Cubs are. If Cub fans quit showing up, they would have a champion contender in 5 years. Even Lamar Hunt one time when asked, if he would rather have an 8-8 team that made money, or a Super Bowl team that lost money, choose the team that made money.
                        The best revenge is massive success. -Frank Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                          Uni will likely never have a large die hard fanbase. You couldnt get a ticket at the end of Sanders career. Where did all those people go? You cant say uni wasnt fun to watch that year.

Uni basketball sells tickets for $5 just a few years after the sweet 16.

Two bcs conference schools in a state this size makes for a very steep hill to climb.

This is an issue facing a lot of schools. UD has the same problem. I don't know what the people who live in that hole of state do on the weekends besides go to UD games, but their commitment isn't there at all. They claim to be mad at the Mandatory Athletic Fund...a whopping seven extra dollars a game...but the truth is that aside from road games in Maine and URI, pretty much every game is either on tv or on the web stream which is fantastic. Delaware has done everything they can to get the fans back. They sell craft beers (for season ticket and UDAF supporters only), increased the tailgate time before and after games, lowered ticket prices, etc; but it still hasn't worked. Football translates well on TV and people are content to sit at home and watch. The NY Giants are facing the same problem. At one time there was a 65 year waiting list for season tickets, now there is no wait. In their case the PSL's and ticket prices went through the roof and people decided to spend the money on their man caves and not on the Gmen....I don't blame them.

Winning does help and having super strong teams like the UNI '07 team does fill seats. KC has always said, including some recent interviews, that the '07 UNI team was the best team he has ever coached against. That they were significantly better than the Navy, Maryland, and Appy State teams we faced during his coaching days in Newark. He said that team had more talent and the Dome was so hard to play in, that if UD had played UNI 100 times we would have lost 99 of them. I think that speaks volumes considering the fact that he usually follows this by stating how much he hates Farley and how he challenged him to a fist fight in an Abby's parking lot.

I hope you guys go 4-0...It will be interesting to see how this attendance issue plays out on all levels of football. Just know, it's everywhere.
                          The Dude Abides

Comment

Thanks, again for your rational perspectives, Dude.

Can't wait for the Super Bowl in Jersey in the middle of the Winter!

Comment

Working...
                            X