WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Johnson Draft Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: David Johnson Draft Status

Originally posted by 1988 View Post
    How much money can we give you to stop posting on Panther Nation? I will do a kickstarter to get you to leave.
    Give it a rest, your posts are more annoying than anything 9YR does. You're approaching the likes of JBB and Lakes. We get it, you don't like him. You don't like the Hawks. Post about something else for a change, you're just banging the same ol' rusty drum over and over again. It's stupid.

Comment

How much money can we give you to stop posting on Panther Nation? I will do a kickstarter to get you to leave.
      Does this mean that from an NFL standpoint, you think DJ is all positives, no negatives, and will be a greater player than Adrian Peterson? Can we meet later today? I have a ton of stuff I'd like to sell you

Comment

Originally posted by panther-state View Post
        Give it a rest, your posts are more annoying than anything 9YR does. You're approaching the likes of JBB and Lakes. We get it, you don't like him. You don't like the Hawks. Post about something else for a change, you're just banging the same ol' rusty drum over and over again. It's stupid.

Agreed. There is too much bashing of each other. This site needs to improve its tone in order to not repel people new to the site. Disagreement and arguing is fine. Pettiness and personal attacks are not.

Comment

1988 has issues. Just put him on ignore. That way he will hopefully focus his time on pretending to be a beat writer for a big ten school online and harassing college kids. You know, normal grown up stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN View Post
            1988 has issues. Just put him on ignore. That way he will hopefully focus his time on pretending to be a beat writer for a big ten school online and harassing college kids. You know, normal grown up stuff.
            I am flattered.
            "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

I am flattered.
              Of course, but you and I still need to engage in a few transactions regarding waterfront land in New Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                Of course, but you and I still need to engage in a few transactions regarding waterfront land in New Mexico.
                We all know when you buy land location, location, location is the key. Which ocean is your property located on?

You obviously wanted me to acknowledge your David Johnson being perfect comment...My answer is no. But do you think there has ever been an athlete at UNI more prepared for the NFL? I am talking athlete not offensive linemen. He will be the best to ever come out of UNI including Kurt.
                Last edited by 1988; 07-13-2014, 10:03 PM.
                "Another six or seven years and 1988 will be made to feel slightly unwelcome, I'm sure."

Quote from Newsbreaker, mark the time 10:47pm, August 31, 2014.

Comment

We all know when you buy land location, location, location is the key. Which ocean is your property located on?

You obviously wanted me to acknowledge your David Johnson being perfect comment...My answer is no. But do you think there has ever been an athlete at UNI more prepared for the NFL? I am talking athlete not offensive linemen. He will be the best to ever come out of UNI including Kurt.
                  I can agree with your comment about David being NFL ready as a skill player but that still doesn't even guarantee he will make an NFL roster let a lone put him the same conversation as a possible NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback.

Comment

I am flattered.
                    I'm sure you are. You probably think the ladies you stalk on twitter are flattered as well.

Comment

All kidding aside, I hope you're correct. I approach this a little differently. There are lots of good college RBs coming out every year, with guys who will have similar or better measurables. That's a lot of competition. I'm not saying he won't stand out, but guard your optimism a bit (if you choose to). In hindsight, the UNI skill player best prepped for the NFL was Dedric Ward, but that's a debate for a different thread. It would be an awesome selling point for the program if he has success at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                        All kidding aside, I hope you're correct. I approach this a little differently. There are lots of good college RBs coming out every year, with guys who will have similar or better measurables. That's a lot of competition. I'm not saying he won't stand out, but guard your optimism a bit (if you choose to). In hindsight, the UNI skill player best prepped for the NFL was Dedric Ward, but that's a debate for a different thread. It would be an awesome selling point for the program if he has success at the next level.

You will be hard pressed to find RBs with measurables that will stack up to DJ.
                        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Really good article and video from Bryce Miller of the Register, on DJ. Here's the link if you have a subscription with the DMR. If not I can at least provide a transcript of the article.

At 6 a.m. each weekday during the summer, David Johnson joins a Northern Iowa maintenance crew in dormitory hallways and starts fixing things.

Johnson mends broken desks, cleans abused sinks, returns roughed-up doors and drawers to working order. He pops batteries into smoke detectors and replaces sagging window blinds.

His head swivels on broad, muscular shoulders, hunting for anything that demands attention and care.

"You'd be surprised how much hair fits into a drain," said Johnson, pulling out one from an old sink to illustrate. "It's horrible."

Then Johnson smiles. He's always smiling. His face seems perpetually locked in that position.

Johnson is much more than a good-natured handyman for Northern Iowa. He's one of the best football players in the state — and the best all-purpose running back in Iowa.

Mark Weisman? Iowa's guy sometimes produces more pain for tacklers, but he lacks Johnson's hands and open-field speed after catching a pass.

Aaron Wimberly or DeVondrick Nealy? The speedy Iowa State backs fall short of the physical size of Johnson, who can pound away at defensive fronts with his 6-foot-3, 225-pound frame.

Johnson has recorded a vertical jump of 40 inches — second-best on the team — and a broad jump of 10 feet, 9 inches, and he can squat 610 pounds. The vertical and broad jump would have cracked the top six for running backs at the most recent NFL Combine.

The senior-to-be is strong, fast, agile — and a guy who could give Bob Vila a run for his money at Home Depot.

Johnson has worked 40 hours per week the past three summers at Northern Iowa, allowing him the financial flexibility to stay on campus and attack a weight room waiting just a short stroll away.

Last week, Johnson hustled from room to room in Noehren Hall, a facility built in 1967 that houses more than 600 students. The whack-whack-whack of an air-powered gun that fired staples to stabilize wobbly furniture developed a rhythm, much like his game last season at Iowa State.

The smiling Johnson became a monster rampaging through a Cyclone nightmare, with the evidence splattered all over the postgame stat sheet.

Johnson, who played at Clinton High School but received only one other scholarship offer (Illinois State), decided to prove he was the best player on the field that day — and did.

He scored the game's first touchdown on a 37-yard burst in the first quarter. He followed with a 9-yard scoring reception and a 27-yard touchdown run just a little more than a quarter and a half into the game.

When Johnson added a 29-yard run to the end zone in the fourth, he tied a Panther single-game record and left Iowa State staggered. He finished with 240 all-purpose yards and a stunning 8.7 yards per carry in a 28-20 victory on Big 12 turf.

In the end, Johnson finished with 199 yards rushing, or 31 more than the Cyclones managed as a team.

Each carry — whack, whack, whack — a relentless, again-and-again run at Iowa State defenders, just like the rhythm of the staple gun.

"I was ready to play," Johnson said. "I just felt like I needed to come out and prove a statement to D-I schools that didn't offer me or looked past me."

Johnson wants to impress any and all major-college opponents in the way. He caught touchdown passes of 55 and 31 yards two seasons ago in a near-upset of Wisconsin and scored a touchdown while piling up a game-high 154 all-purpose yards two weeks later at Iowa.

As a freshman, Johnson scored twice, including an 80-yard pass play in a hold-your-breath, 20-19 loss at Iowa State.

Johnson plans to make a run at the NFL. Why not? After all, there are plenty of other people out there to convert into believers.

"That's definitely my main goal," he said. "It would be hard to leave a sport you love."

If Johnson has an ego, those closest to him still are hunting for it.

At Clinton, he joined Students Against Destructive Decisions. He has participated in blood drives. He displays a dash of mock disappointment that his Northern Iowa grade-point average sits at 3.4, just under the 3.5 he pieced together in high school.

"If he doesn't make it as a football player, he'll be fine in life," said Phil Chien, Johnson's crew supervisor. "He's just that type of kid. You hang around with him a while, and you realize that."

Johnson, is chasing down Northern Iowa's career record for touchdowns, fills the small corners of time outside of football and work with bowling, movies and a new-found interest in fishing.

The focus, however, always drifts back to football — where he's flirting with the Panther career mark for rushing yards. He sits at 3,129, on pace to top leader Corey Lewis' total of 4,003.

Johnson, a triplet along with sisters Darnecia and Danielle, finds himself in another group of three on the field. Just two other Northern Iowa players, Lewis and Carl Boyd, recorded 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 receiving in their careers.

For now, though, there are more desks to fix and weights to lift.

The college football season looms, with the season opener Aug. 30 at Iowa. Johnson, the handiest ball-carrier in the state, plans to keep hammering away at perceptions.

"I can't wait," Johnson said.

==========

UNI'S BIG-GAME WEAPON

Northern Iowa senior running David Johnson has shined brightest on the biggest stages. Last season, he rushed for 199 yards and tied a school record with four touchdowns in a 28-20 win at Iowa State.

Some more of Johnson's big games against big programs:

At Iowa State (W, 28-20): 23 carries, 199 yards, 8.7 per carry, 240 all-purpose yards.

At Wisconsin (L, 26-21): Touchdown receptions of 55 and 31 yards (four catches, 107 yards total).

At Iowa (L, 27-16): Touchdown run, most all-purpose yards of any player in game (154).

At Iowa State (L, 20-19): Two touchdowns, including an 80-yard scoring reception.

THE RECORD-BREAKER?

Johnson is on pace to set Northern Iowa records for career rushing yards, career rushing touchdowns and career total touchdowns. Here is where Johnson stands on the all-time charts heading into his senior season:<EL,3>

Tied school record for touchdowns in a single game with four last season in a victory at Iowa State.

Rushing yards (4th): 3,129

Touchdowns (3rd): 44

Rushing TDs (T-4th): 32

All-purpose yards (10th): 4,327

CAREER RUSHING LEADERS

1. Corey Lewis: 4,003 yards

2. Jeff Stovall: 3,835 yards

3. Adam Benge: 3,721 yards

4. David Johnson: 3,129 yards

Comment

I hear his weightlifting numbers are amazing. However, i hope he is focused enough on the skills of running the ball well, not just being an athletic beast.

Comment

460 lb power clean.
                              Originally posted by TH1974
                              This guy was all-UNI, and wanted to show it by pretending to play a non-existant musical instrument in public.

Comment

585 squat. 3 reps.

Ridiculous
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X