WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Schedules

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
    I'm not sure I'm understanding the paranoia of playing 5 compared to 6 compared to 7 home games. This year we have 5 home dates plus a game at Iowa. We play 6 in state games. Next year we play 7 games in state followed by 7 again the following year. The fan base that truly cares, season ticket holders, PSC members, Rally in the Valley participants that raised near $200,000 in one evening, will make the trips to Ames and Iowa City to tail gate, soak in the atmosphere and appreciate the fact that the Athletic Department will take home $400,000 to $500,000 from each of those games. And who knows if we play well at I.C. and Ames we may even win.

We'll...I'm certainly a proponent of getting as many home games as possible. For entertainment value and to improve our chances of winning and getting a high playoff seed.

And in regards to winning in Iowa City...it's noteworthy that the last 3 times we've played there...from 2009 to 2014...the average margin of victory for Iowa is 7 points.

That includes a 8 point Iowa win where the penalty flags were 16-4. (cough cough)
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

I don’t know a reason other than knocking two seasons of games out at once.

But let’s math here as I look deeper at numbers. A large cabin flights chartered averages 7800 per hour and almost every company requires at least 10 hours paid - used or not. ALso have to pay for the fuel. Looking at 80k just to get to Idaho. Multiple charter buses at 150-200 and hour plus day rents fees for 2 or 3 days plus gratuity and there is another 5k pretty easy if not more. Let’s call it 60 hotel rooms for the traveling party and pretend we get some kind of discount and it’s 100 per room per night plus renting areas for team and position meetings. Bam another 12-15k gone. Now we have to feed 53 football players enough to fuel them for a game and replenish them after a game. Let’s say $10 a person per meal (super cheap guess) for say 6 total meals. Looking at another 5k+. Honestly a trip to Idaho could easily run 120k+.

Its why UND is leaving then Big Sky. Travel costs literally crippled their budget to the point they cut like 5 sports including women’s hockey - the second biggest program at UND behind only men’s hockey.

Put that 120 towards a buy game and it won’t take all that much more to get there. Oh and then you can start recouping that with ticket sales. Let’s say we sell 10,000 paid tickets at an average price of 15 a head. There is 150k. Let’s say we bring another 5k in on parking fees. Concessions. Sponsorships for another game.

Let’s pretned a game cost 200k - which you can easily get based on information i have gotten. Let’s pretend we break even. Guess what? Breaking even is better than spending 120k to go to Pencileraser, Idaho. We have the ability to lose 120k on a home game and still come out a head of flying a tram to Idaho or Washington or California or Utah or Louisiana for a road game.
      OK here's how I'd estimate the math...

A home & home vs Big Sky team...
      - I think we can make that trip for 90k.
      - The return game we pocket about 200k in revenue so we're up 110k.

Two buy games in the Dome...
      - Assume each game costs us 90k for a total of 180k.
      - For the first home game we pocket 200k. But for the 2nd (assuming it's the 6th home game of the year) our incremental revenue is only about 1/2 that UNLESS we increase the cost of season tix for a 6 game season. Assume we don't then incremental revenue is $100k.
      - So the net is $120k...about break even to the home and home.

Now perhaps you'd argue we'd charge more for season tix for a 6 game. If so...does the higher price reduce the number sold? If so you have to reduce the revenue numbers.

If the two scenarios are breakeven, then I'd still take the 6 home games.

But I am not sure enough in the true numbers to believe we're passing up a 6th game unless there's a financial reason.
      Last edited by Blue42; 04-18-2018, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
        I'm not sure I'm understanding the paranoia of playing 5 compared to 6 compared to 7 home games. This year we have 5 home dates plus a game at Iowa. We play 6 in state games. Next year we play 7 games in state followed by 7 again the following year. The fan base that truly cares, season ticket holders, PSC members, Rally in the Valley participants that raised near $200,000 in one evening, will make the trips to Ames and Iowa City to tail gate, soak in the atmosphere and appreciate the fact that the Athletic Department will take home $400,000 to $500,000 from each of those games. And who knows if we play well at I.C. and Ames we may even win.

Last year, we had 30 to 40 UNI fans tailgate in Ames with UNIdad! I just put out a donation bucket.

Comment

• How likely do you think it is we actually had these deals for 2019 and 2020 done before we had 2018 finalized...and had to hold the announcement til we got the Hampton deal done?

Not that it really matters...glad they got them all done. But would be a bit awkward to announce 2019 and 2020 before you had 2018 on the streets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
            How likely do you think it is we actually had these deals for 2019 and 2020 done before we had 2018 finalized...and had to hold the announcement til we got the Hampton deal done?

Not that it really matters...glad they got them all done. But would be a bit awkward to announce 2019 and 2020 before you had 2018 on the streets.

Pretty likely that 2019 and 2020 were already done. Gives more strength to the idea that Harris did actually have a "deal in the bag" that fell through at the last minute for 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

And in regards to winning in Iowa City...it's noteworthy that the last 3 times we've played there...from 2009 to 2014...the average margin of victory for Iowa is 7 points.

That includes a 8 point Iowa win where the penalty flags were 16-4. (cough cough)
              My recollection is it was worse than that. Does that count only accepted penalties? I recall the refs flagging UNI 22 times before the first one on Iowa, some of which were declined. Believe it amounted to a 17 point swing in the first half.

GO PANTHERS!

Comment

• A few of our posters have been commenting that some of our opponents have been scheduling cup cakes for home non conference games. So here’s what I’ve come up with. My looking only involved NDSU, U. of South Dakota, SDSU, Montana U., Weber St., Southern Utah, Idaho St.

Below is my general takes and this only involves home non conference games these schools have listed (if only one game is shown for a year that is the only game they have contracted for that year and for individual schools they may add other home dates if their schedule allows).

Most schedules of FCS teams only go out for the 2020 season for scheduled home non conference games. The exception is Montana which shows home non con games through 2025. The reason of Montana having some games scheduled that far is because of announced home and home with U. of North Dakota that’s leaving the Big Sky. Many have FBS schools scheduled through the mid 2020’s but none of those are home games.

There is a big spender for buying home non conference games and you’ve probably already guessed NDSU. They have home games for 2018 with Cal Poly, North Alabama and Delaware. Cal Poly will be paid $250,000 and No. Alabama $230,000. Delaware will get a return game next year. North Alabama is transitioning to FCS and had to guarantee the Bison that they will be fully funded for scholarships so the game will count for NDSU. For 2019 NDSU has home non conference games with University of North Dakota (a return game) and UC Davis a $240,000 buy game. The newspaper article showing the difficulties for the Bison scheduling is (www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4337156-ndsu-completes-2018-football-schedule-addition-cal-poly). For 2020 they have only Drake scheduled at home at this time and (if you’re wondering why we are not scheduling Drake) they are buying the Bulldogs for $230,000.

U. of South Dakota has Northern Colorado at home this year and Montana and Houston Baptist for 2019. Montana is a return game and there are no details for HB. They have no games as of now beyond 2019.

SDSU only shows at home for 2018 a return game with Montana St. and a game with Arkansas Pine Bluff. They are at Iowa St. this year.

Montana is the winner for scheduling out and has a propensity of scheduling MVC schools. 2018 they have UNI at home and the Drake Bulldogs (I wonder how much the Dogs sold themselves to the Grizzlies for). 2019 North Alabama continues their journey through the FBS and in a bit of a surprise Monmouth ventures to Montana. In 2020 they have Morehead from the OVC. In 2021 our conference members Western Illinois and Missouri State go to Montana. In 2022 they have U. of South Dakota at home and 2025 U. of North Dakota which will have transitioned into our conference. As with the other schools on this list other than NDSU the Grizzlies are good with return games.

Though we do know that Southern Utah will come to Cedar Falls next year they only show the 2018 schedule on their website. On their 2018 schedule is North Alabama. Interestingly SUU is at FBS Oregon State and FBS U. of Arizona this year.

Weber St. has only single home non conference games in the coming years with U. of South Dakota and UNI. In 2019 they are scheduled at FBS San Diego State and FBS Nevada. Oddly this year they are playing at Big Sky member Cal Poly in a non conference game in California.

Idaho State for 2018 plays Western State Colorado U. and U. North Dakota. They have a return home date with UNI in 2020.

Looks to me that everyone and I say everyone is in the same boat in FCS. Scheduling non conference games is an absolute headache. And unfortunately the big bully on the playground is willing to pay almost a million dollars to fill their schedule. Won’t it be ironic in a few years if their own forecast is correct about the FCS schools not wanting to come to Fargo and they will end up playing D II schools at home and heaven fore bid they’ll have to go on the road before October. I said earlier that the schools listed had FBS games with the exception of NDSU. They were shut out again this year and do not have a FBS opponent on the schedule until 2020 when they go U. of Oregon.

Comment

• Wow....I would have never guessed NDSU was paying out $230k for home games. Not in my wildest dreams.

Based on that info, perhaps the only options for FCS teams are...

1. Play home and homes
                  2. Play D2 schools for a lower cost (not good)
                  3. Play 2 FBS games to fund your buy in games
                  4. Put 16k+ fans with loose wallets in your stadium for EVERY home game to pay the tab.

Option 4 would be great...but pretty damn hard with 13 Power 5 games played within 90 minutes of your stadium every fall.

Including an inter-state P5 match up that falls on same Saturday as one of your non-con home games damn near every year.
                  ​​​
                  Last edited by Blue42; 04-19-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• So safe to say that there's a significant amount more money to be made in going on the road than with buy games. Not unless we start selling out games against Weber State and everyone buys three hotdogs and two popcorns.

Comment

• And yet some NDSU fans are still griping about the quality of their OOC for next season.

In future years, they also play at Oregon, Arizona, and Colorado which helps on the balance sheet (as well as in their own self-perception as a big-time team).

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

So what exactly did I say that was incorrect? You tell me I'm wrong and then site two examples of them having 7 home games in the next two years (the Target Field game DEFINITELY counts) and then go to incomplete schedules and playoffs. I'm confused. Help me out here...
                        Regarding the NDSU-Butler game at Target Field ...

It is not part of the season ticket package for NDSU, but season ticket holders were to get advance purchase opportunity (according to a 2016 article) and students a discounted ticket rate.

When St. John's and St. Thomas played there last year, they drew nearly 38k fans. Living up here, I have no doubt at all that an NDSU game there will sell out. I see NDSU stuff daily here - hats, car stickers, shirts, the school itself buying billboards - and they have a lot of alumni here. And only a few hours from Fargo and those folks travel well for games. Aside from finances - any ideas of how the schools fare financially from the game? - it will be a home game for NDSU, except with even more of their fanbase in attendance.

After Saturday's game drew an NCAA Division III record crowd of 37,355, more than doubling the old mark, it's logical to wonder when the encore will take place.

FARGO, N.D. – North Dakota State University and the Minnesota Twins today announced that the NDSU football team will host Butler University at Target Field in Minneapolis on August 31, 2019.  It will be the first meeting between the two schools.
                        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• The inference I get from the article telling of NDSU finalizing their 2018 schedule is that they don't think there will be a lot of FCS teams wanting to come to Fargo. They appear to be their own worst enemy that in the future possible non conference opponents will tell them "show me the money." They have set the precedent on how much it will cost. Thank you Bison.

Another side note on the Bison: they will play 9 dome games this year.
                          Last edited by northwest iowa panther; 04-20-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• They're literally pissing millions of dollars away for an afternoon on ESPN in January and no monetary gain. Sound decision.
                            #MACtion

Comment

• As per an older article posted on Land of 10 by Scott Dochterman, Iowa U. will pay UNI $600,000 this year and increase the payout to $650,000 in 2020. FBS non conference opponents scheduled to play Iowa in IC in the next three years other than ISU will be paid $1 million plus. He acquired this info according to contracts obtained by Land of 10 through state open-records laws.

Comment

• BUMP

Updates as of 9/11/18

9/5- at Iowa
                                9/12- at Idaho State
                                9/19- Weber State
                                10/24- at South Dakota
                                11/7- South Dakota State

9/4- at Iowa State
                                10/16- South Dakota
                                10/23- at South Dakota State

11/19- at South Dakota