WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Schedules

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Hawaii in 2024

The Hawaii Rainbow Warriors have added the Northern Iowa Panthers to their 2024 football schedule, FBSchedules.com has learned.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIpanther99 View Post
      $165k and all travel paid for. I can live with it.

2024 is a 12 game year and we've got two left to find.

2024 so far:

Aug 31 OPEN
      Sept 7 at St Thomas
      Sept 14 OPEN
      Sept 21 at Hawaii
      Sept 28 BYE
      Oct 5 at Western Illinois
      Oct 12 South Dakota State (Homecoming)
      Oct 19 at North Dakota
      Oct 26 Illinois State
      Nov 2 at South Dakota
      Nov 9 North Dakota State
      Nov 16 at Youngstown State
      Nov 23 Indiana State

Do not play Southern Illinois and Missouri State

#MACtion

Comment

• Might be time to see if Drake would be willing to play another game. Several of the players involved have changed over there.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

$165k and all travel paid for. I can live with it.

2024 is a 12 game year and we've got two left to find.

2024 so far:

Aug 31 OPEN
          Sept 7 at St Thomas
          Sept 14 OPEN
          Sept 21 at Hawaii
          Sept 28 BYE
          Oct 5 at Western Illinois
          Oct 12 South Dakota State (Homecoming)
          Oct 19 at North Dakota
          Oct 26 Illinois State
          Nov 2 at South Dakota
          Nov 9 North Dakota State
          Nov 16 at Youngstown State
          Nov 23 Indiana State

Do not play Southern Illinois and Missouri State
          Not that we would but 2014 could be a 13 game season if we wanted it to be at this point. Though I wouldn't see a reason too

Also, both games left better be home games. If we can't do better than 5 home games in a 12 game season we need to shut it down.
          Last edited by clenz; 12-28-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
            Not that we would but 2014 could be a 13 game season if we wanted it to be at this point. Though I wouldn't see a reason too
            13 consecutive weeks of football games (plus possibly playoffs) without a bye week. doesn't sound wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

Also, both games left better be home games. If we can't do better than 5 home games in a 12 game season we need to shut it down.
              We don't have a Big Sky team on there so we're definitely going to need a trip to Bozeman or Flagstaff or Davis. Just have to figure out who's going to win that league that year.
              #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                13 consecutive weeks of football games (plus possibly playoffs) without a bye week. doesn't sound wise.
                We have the right people on the job to be able to EASILY handle that schedule for us.

Comment

Might be time to see if Drake would be willing to play another game. Several of the players involved have changed over there.
                  I hate to say it, but there really is no reason they should ever pick up our phone call for that. From our perspective, of course it's a "win-win," from theirs, it's just a bad idea all around.

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

I hate to say it, but there really is no reason they should ever pick up our phone call for that. From our perspective, of course it's a "win-win," from theirs, it's just a bad idea all around.
                    Gotta keep that illusion that we play at the same level. The team that is going to be dominating that league in two years rolled in and got beat 44-3 here in a game that wasn't that close.
                    #MACtion

Comment

• Ugh we just scheduled Hawaii again. Why do we do these things? Why do we do the dumbest possible scheduling I dont get it.

I guess this was old news. Oops
                      Last edited by DownGoesKansas; 12-29-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• Are we now allergic to B1G money? Take a look at MVFC schools on future Big Ten West Schedules:

Future Nebraska schedules include: North Dakota (x2) and SDSU (x2)
                        Future Iowa schedules include: SDSU and Illinois State
                        Future Illinois schedules include: Illinois State
                        Future Minnesota schedules include: Western Illinois and North Dakota (x2)
                        Future Wisconsin schedules include: Illinois State, South Dakota, Southern Illinois and Western Illinois
                        Future Northwestern schedules include: Indiana State, Southern Illinois, and SDSU
                        Future Purdue schedules include: Indiana State (x3), Western Illinois

And in the Big Ten East... Indiana, Michigan State, and Maryland are all playing MVFC schools in future years.

Only us and North Dakota State don't have future B1G games and the Bison are at least going to Arizona, Colorado and Oregon in future years. We go to Iowa State a million times and play on the Mediacom Connections Channel.

Comment

Are we now allergic to B1G money?
                          How do you know those schools have offered buy games to UNI?

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                            How do you know those schools have offered buy games to UNI?
                            I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the whole process is a little bit of a two-way conversation. But if it works the way you suggest, it seems odd that we would be the only one not getting those calls.

If the Big Ten goes back to an 8 game schedule, hopefully the phone will ring more often.

Comment

• The rest of the MVFC is scheduling 6-7 years out. For the last decade, if not more, it has been rare for UNI to announce a final schedule before spring ball - or even after.

To get those games you have to be willing to talk about those games.

Also, we have to make sure we can get at least 7 Iowa State games a decade on the schedule, and at least one Iowa game a decade. That leaves like 1, maybe 2, other FBS games per decade to schedule

Seriously, look at the modern history of FBS games at UNI. Since 2000 UNI has played 23 FBS games - and lost one in 2020 due to COVID. Here is a list of every FBS game since 2000. Notice a pattern?

Iowa State – ’21 ’19 ’17 ’16 ’15 ’13 ’11 ’10 ’07 ’06 ’04 ’03 ‘01
                              Iowa – ’18 ’14 ’12 ’09 ‘05
                              Hawaii – ‘14
                              Wisconsin – ‘12
                              BYU – ‘08
                              Oklahoma State – ‘02
                              Boise State – ‘00

We've had to watch as many games in Iowa City as we've played anyone from outside the state of Iowa since 2000.

Iowa and Iowa State combine for 18 of the 23 FBS games since 2000 - and really it is 19 of 24 because we lost a game in Iowa City - which would make it MORE games in Iowa City alone than anywhere else in the country since 2000.

UNI has traditionally been willing to schedule years in advance for only Iowa/Iowa State. Locking up those two for a decade out so there are no other options to look at. No other relationships to build. Schools don't call UNI, not because they don't want to lose (NDSU) but because they've never had too/needed too. We are now in a spot where we are behind on scheduling and we have no connections anywhere else in the country for games so scheduling them is tougher

I'm not a fan of flying the team to Hawaii - I've been VERY clear about dumb travel OOC. However, for the experience of the players, it's a great move. Hawaii pays for EVERYTHING and they kick a little extra in for a buy game. It's a far better set up than going to damn Cedar City, Utah, Pocatello, Idaho, Sacramento, California, Cheney, Washington, etc. At least the players get rewarded for a long ass trip with a day on a beach and seeing something completely new/awesome. The reward for going to Cheney? A ****tier version of Cedar Falls.

We've already hit our quota for the 20s with Air Force this fall and Hawaii in 2024. I'd LOVE to see more Air Force style games. They might not pay as much as Iowa/Iowa State but damn it would be nice to get some MAC/CUSA schools on the schedule like others in the Valley do. Go **** kick a G5 and add it to the resume. Do that a few times over a handful of years the program starts to raise simply because you're showing recruits "We're better than them. Couple that with how easily we will get guys into the league and you have all the reason to come here"

Madison is a great place to visit. Most all B10 cities would be, but it would be REAL nice to get the lower en B10 teams - Illinois, Indiana, etc. on the schedule or get into a few MAC teams. Something in our athletic department needs to change. There needs to be new air in the dome, in the stands, in the athletic department. As fans it would be fantastic to look at a game and go "I'm making that my vacation this year", like I think we could see with Air Force. I remember the BYU game on this site. That was great because leading up to the game for weeks/months was fans talking about how they are getting there, what to do out there, creating meet ups, etc. You don't get that at Iowa, Iowa State, or even Wisconsin. It's a place we all know. It's a place we all already have contacts. It's not "destination" so to speak.
                              Last edited by clenz; 12-29-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• I hate to say it, does anyone have a concern we might look to get an extra paycheck in 2024 and schedule another MAC/FBS team? Not saying it’d be wise.

Just imagine, two early open dates leave space for both a paycheck and another flight West. Yippee!

Comment

Working...
                                X