WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff Thread

UNI sits ranked #25 heading into the final polls being released Monday before the playoffs (not that that means a whole lot). They are 6-4 with only winless Indiana State left on the schedule.

What do the playoff projections look like heading into the last game of the season? I used to love putting this together in earlier years on PN, but alas, it's not something I've delved into much in recent years.
    The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

UNI is tied for second in mvfc with tie breaker over SDSU. Although I don't hold out much hope for getting a first round bye, we'd have to be considered in the top half.

Comment

Is the assumption that NDSU gets a bye and then the winner of SDSU/USD gets another bye? What about WIU?

it seems to me that UNI will probably have 1 FBS loss (maybe top 25?) and 3 FCS losses to teams all in the top 10!
      The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Without doing any reaearch, I'd assume we will get the usual first round home game against a team we should stomp (EIU 2 years ago) followed by a road trip to a MVFC school in round 2.

What will make things really interesting is if Ill St can beat NDSU at home next week. Not only would that give us a share of our first comference title since 2011, but it would put six MVFC schools at 7 wins or more, all of which would be more than deserving of getting a playoff bid.
        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

I think you could argue that (assuming we win easily over ISUb) we're a team deserving of a bye but i think the selection committee will have a hard time looking past our 4 losses even though they are all against high quality teams.

I hope that the selection committee splits the valley teams up to some degree and depending on how this next weekend plays out it will be very interesting to see how many MVFC teams end up in the playoffs. There are 6 deserving teams but i'm not sure we get 6 in...most likely 5.

Comment

Illinois State is out with a loss. Don't see them getting in with so many 3 and 4 loss CAA and Big Sky teams. If Northern Arizona has 4 losses they get in by virtue of beating the Redbirds down head to head.

Comment

I would hope the selection committee splits up the valley teams as well, evenly mixed in opposite sides of the brackets. Unfortunately I believe they will load it on the one side and place 1-2 teams on the other. It would be nice to see an all valley semi-finals.

Comment

Is there a rule that conference opponents (or even teams that played each other in regular season...like SUU/UNI this yr) can't be in the same bracket until the Quarters (or is it semis)?

Comment

Home after thanksgiving and then back to NDSU.

Anything besides Fargo would seem winnable.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                    Is there a rule that conference opponents (or even teams that played each other in regular season...like SUU/UNI this yr) can't be in the same bracket until the Quarters (or is it semis)?
                    Not sure but I'm not in the mood to go to NDSU or SUU or SDSU again this year early in the playoffs. Give us Wofford/UCA in 2nd round.

Comment

They do try to avoid conference rematches in the first round (thanksgiving weekend), but if those conference teams haven't played each other, I'm pretty sure they are fair game to be paired up. And I don't know if they really go out of their way to avoid rematches of non-conference opponents.

Bottom line is that the NCAA will always try to minimize expenses by creating as many bus trips as possible, pairing up teams within 400 miles of each other.
                      Most of the MVFC teams that make the playoffs will likely stand the chance of having to face another MVFC team in the first couple rounds.

Comment

"If two teams from the same conference are seeded, the selection committee is charged with placing them on opposite sides of the bracket, even if it means changing seed lines. The new rankings reflected that policy, although it could have been coincidence for the three conferences that had two teams among the top eight - CAA Football, Missouri Valley and Southland."

Some fan from the team up North has McNeese visiting the UNI Dome and the winner going to Sam Houston. Purely speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                          "If two teams from the same conference are seeded, the selection committee is charged with placing them on opposite sides of the bracket, even if it means changing seed lines. The new rankings reflected that policy, although it could have been coincidence for the three conferences that had two teams among the top eight - CAA Football, Missouri Valley and Southland."

Some fan from the team up North has McNeese visiting the UNI Dome and the winner going to Sam Houston. Purely speculation.
                          Off-topic but related - wish they would seed all 24. That and make the Ivies play.
                          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

NDSU will get the 2 seed
                            A SDSU win gives them the 7 or 8 seed
                            A SDSU loss and a WIU win gives them the 7 or 8 seed

There are still too many scenarios to really start to waste real effort guessing. If ISUr beats NDSU then UNI/ISUr will be the first round game with the winner of that being sent to the WIU/SDSU seed.

NDSU, SDSU and WIU are locks.
                            UNI, ISUr, and USD are locks with a win
                            USD is a bubble with a loss
                            UNI and ISUr are out with a loss.

It depends on how the committee weighs SOS. The Southland will have 4 9+ win teams, but they all have just garbage SOS. It's like they played MSU, SIU and Indian State every single week and those would be the tough games.

Montana and EWU are win and in.

There's enough SLC and Big Sky teams that UNI could end up getting sent east/south to the OVC (who will only get JSU) and Southland early on.

The PFL champ is San Diego so they'll get a Big Sky team so that takes a western feed of NDSU down a bit.

UNI's best odds to avoid SUU, SDSU or NDSU is for USD to get in. USD becomes that bus trip for SDSU or NDSU.

I think the way it plays out is

2 seed NDSU vs San Diego/Big Sky at-large (probably Montana)
                            7 seed SDSU vs USD/SLC or Big Sky at-large
                            UNI/SLC at large getting fed into Jacksonville State or Sam Houston State

MVFC could have 6 playoff teams but I doubt that happens. I think we end up with 4. 5 if USD can manage to play SDSU close.

Comment

Any chance we get screwed over with a win over Indiana State?

The NCAA selection committee hasn't been know for giving UNI any favors.

Comment

Working...
                              X