WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any know anything about Monmouth??
    peace

igo4uni

Comment

I like their draw. They know SDSU is beatable and they avoid NDSU.

Comment

Sdsu is 3-1 against teams in the tournament. BUT we need to find out about Monmouth first.
        Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

On paper, Monmouth is one of the worst teams in the tournament. Their 9-2 is filled with Patriot League teams (a conference whose champion finished 5-6), a MEAC team, and Big South teams. They lost to Albany (4-7) by two TDs, and Big South Champ Kennesaw State (10-1) yesterday by 31 points. Their best win is probably Liberty, who was 6-5 and beat Indiana State by 1 point.

If UNI loses the first round game, I would say it would be a pretty big upset.

Comment

Massey Ratings - with a bit of context

UNI hosting Monmouth (NJ) - 94% probability win
            UNI hosting Indiana State - 99% probability win

Comment

ESPN gives us a 91% chance to win, but we have to take every game 1 at a time. Looks like they are pretty balanced offensively #9 is there go to receiver, and #25 is a 1000 yard rusher.

Comment

Watched a few minutes of film on Monmouth. They have game highlights on YouTube.

Look like they have some speed and athleticism at skill positions but a bit undersized. Kinda what I expected. QB has 15 TDs and 9 picks.

Good rushing team. Guessing they haven't seen MVFC type physical defense.

Pass defense stats are not strong.

Rush D numbers were OK...but gave up 400 rush yards to Kennesaw yesterday.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

What is the likelihood of having four Valley teams in the quarters, and then in the semis? I figure it's a given with us, SDSU and NDSU in the bottom half, but what do you make of Western Illinois and SD chances to advance?

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                    What is the likelihood of having four Valley teams in the quarters, and then in the semis? I figure it's a given with us, SDSU and NDSU in the bottom half, but what do you make of Western Illinois and SD chances to advance?
                    NDSU will be in the semifinals for sure. I think the winner of SDSU/UNI has a great shot at the semifinals.

I dont think WIU is good enough to beat JMU, and I don't think USD has a shot at making any run.

I think 2 teams in the semis is best case, and we are one of the teams with a shot IMO.

I absolutely hate that we have to go to SDSU again, but Im sure they arent exactly thrilled withhaving to play a team that smashed them once already this year in their first playoff game either.

Last edited by 06panther10; 11-19-2017, 12:16 PM.
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by igo4uni View Post
                      any know anything about Monmouth??
                      Looks like the NCAA disregarded the 400 mile rule in that Monmouth U. is in New Jersey. They are a private university of 4,400 students. Their stadium has seating for around 4,000 with all seats on one side. You can buy individual game tickets for under $25 and premium season tickets for $100 which includes 5 home games.
                      They averaged less than 4,000 for all their games home and away except for their last game at Kennesaw State which drew 6,200. If we attract our usual first round game attendance of between 8,000 to 10,000, they'll play in front of a crowd more than twice what they normally see. Most of their players are from the New York, New Jersey states with a smattering of players from Maryland, PA, Virginia and states further south along the east coast. They play in the Big South and finished second to Kennesaw St.. The Big South has 6 members with Monmouth and Kennesaw both qualifying (33%) for the FCS playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by pantherclaw View Post
                        Sdsu is 3-1 against teams in the tournament. BUT we need to find out about Monmouth first.
                        If we hadn't let the games against WIU and Southern Utah slip away. we would be 4-1 against teams in the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post
                          Looks like the NCAA disregarded the 400 mile rule in that Monmouth U. is in New Jersey.
                          There are no teams in the playoff field (or even on the bubble) within 400 miles of UNI that aren't in the MVFC, and thus there weren't any "bus trip" opponents for UNI (Illinois State would have been a viable candidate, since UNI didn't play them this year, but they weren't going to make it in at 6-5)

Comment

Despite having four losses, we had a pretty good regular season this year. We lost to Western Illinois, a playoff team, by letting one slip away. We lost to North Dakota State and Southern Utah, both top 8 seeds in the playoffs. We lost to Iowa State, an FBS team that'll be playing for their eighth win and a pretty good bowl game next week. We had a lot of very solid top 10 wins also. Looking forward to these playoffs. Who knows where we could go?
                            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                            Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                            - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post

Looks like the NCAA disregarded the 400 mile rule in that Monmouth U. is in New Jersey. They are a private university of 4,400 students. Their stadium has seating for around 4,000 with all seats on one side. You can buy individual game tickets for under $25 and premium season tickets for $100 which includes 5 home games.
                              They averaged less than 4,000 for all their games home and away except for their last game at Kennesaw State which drew 6,200. If we attract our usual first round game attendance of between 8,000 to 10,000, they'll play in front of a crowd more than twice what they normally see. Most of their players are from the New York, New Jersey states with a smattering of players from Maryland, PA, Virginia and states further south along the east coast. They play in the Big South and finished second to Kennesaw St.. The Big South has 6 members with Monmouth and Kennesaw both qualifying (33%) for the FCS playoffs.
                              How in the h@ll is a school in New Jersey in the Big South Conference?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIChippewa View Post

How in the h@ll is a school in New Jersey in the Big South Conference?
                                The same way Missouri is in the Southeastern Conference and South Bend, Indiana is on the Atlantic Coast.
                                #MACtion

Comment

Working...
                                X