WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Playoff Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to say this.. UNI will goto SDSU and beat them in front of about 5200 fans, on a snowy, sloppy field in the elements. you heard it here first.
    UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Congrats on making the playoffs. You will be the best team that Monmouth has faced this year, don't let them Lehigh you. I think the physicality of Panther and MVFC football will show up as soon as the second quarter. Good luck. Not sure who I would cheer for in a Panthers/Jacks matchup.

Comment

On paper Monmouth looks really balanced with a good back but it seems their strength of schedule is soft so we'll see how that translates coming on the road and playing what has evolved into a very good D. I think we we come out and defend like we have been we should get out to an early lead and hopefully put this one away.

I always hate that these games hit on Thanksgiving break...with a light student crowd it will meat 8000-10000 in the dome, but that can get loud if the game warrants that level of noise.

The return trip to SDSU is a challenge but by the quarters everyone you play is a quality football team.

Comment

Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
          I hate to say this.. UNI will goto SDSU and beat them in front of about 5200 fans, on a snowy, sloppy field in the elements. you heard it here first.
          They have field turf now, so I am not sure how that gets "sloppy"

Comment

UNI by a bunch.

The Big South is terribad.

Kennessaw State has had football for 3 years and won the conference.

Comment

PSC just sent out ticket information ...

Reserved seats are $20 in-person at McLeod Ticket Office, $24 online. Season ticket holders are encouraged to renew their seat location for playoff tickets online.

Full-time STUDENTS are FREE, FREE, FREE (with student ID).

McLeod Ticket Office Hours:
              UNI-Dome/McLeod Center Connector
              Monday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
              Tuesday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
              Wednesday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
              Thursday: Closed Thanksgiving
              Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
              Saturday: 9:00 AM - Game Time

Order online at:
              Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.
              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Looking around at various computer projections of the game have the final score averaging out to be about 45-17. The range seems to be 43 to 49 for UNI and 13 to 19 for Monmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Farley has long maintained UNI will play a home game no matter what unless we are the lower seeded team forced on the road. It's one of the things he and Dannen got right come playoff bid time
                  The NCAA uses the following factors in determining which institutions will host playoff games: Quality and availability of facility; Revenue potential, which includes minimum financial guarantees of $30,000, $40,000 and $50,000 for the first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal contests, respectively, with consideration given to revenue potential in excess of the minimum guarantees; Attendance history and potential; Team performance, with strong consideration of conference place finish; Head-to-head results with opponents; and non-Division I schedule

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post

The NCAA uses the following factors in determining which institutions will host playoff games: Quality and availability of facility; Revenue potential, which includes minimum financial guarantees of $30,000, $40,000 and $50,000 for the first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal contests, respectively, with consideration given to revenue potential in excess of the minimum guarantees; Attendance history and potential; Team performance, with strong consideration of conference place finish; Head-to-head results with opponents; and non-Division I schedule
                    You bid to host games.

The minimum bid is $30,000 for the first round. However, you can bid as much as you want. Whichever team bids more gets the game. The NCAA takes the bid plus some % of the gate revenue. A few years back JMU bid something like 175k for the first round - that's not a joke.

If you bid X dollars and your gate revenue doesn't make up for the $30,000 minimum the NCAA is taking, you're losing money.

This is why WIU went and played in a high school stadium in Dayton against Dayton a couple years ago. WIU did not bid. Dayton bid the minimum of $30,000. The game was held in a high school stadium. The NCAA took the $30,000 and Dayton took the loss of whatever the difference in ticket revenue and $30,000 was. There was about 700 people there. Let's say $20 a ticket. That's $14,000 in revenue. That means Dayton lost $16,000 to host that game. It is why WIU did not bid. They knew they would draw about a thousand fans over Thanksgiving. Wasn't worth the loss to them.

UNI bids aggressively. Tickets are $20 this week. Guess a 10,000 crowd and that's $200,000 that is used as bidding. UNI wouldn't bid $200,000 but it's a big enough bid that only about 4 schools currently in the FCS would outbid UNI.

Let's use Lehigh numbers to guess a bid - which was due middle of October - and UNI has a projected ticket intake of $120,000 for that game - 6,000 people at $20 per ticket. Chances are UNI is bidding 75-100K for that game.

The NCAA takes the $75,000, or whatever the bid was, and whatever extra is made on it goes to UNI (or the loss goes to UNI). This is why reported attendances in the playoffs are so very different than the regular season. The NCAA isn't taking regular season money. If there are 10,000 paid people at a game in October and you report 13,000 there's no impact other than inflating numbers. If you report 13,000 tickets sold to the NCAA in the playoffs and you only sold 10,000 you're paying based on the 13,000.

This is why I'm shocked Montana didn't get one of the last spots. That's 20,000+ people paying to get into a game. Often times teams with larger fan bases get AL at a higher rate

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

You bid to host games.

The minimum bid is $30,000 for the first round. However, you can bid as much as you want. Whichever team bids more gets the game. The NCAA takes the bid plus some % of the gate revenue. A few years back JMU bid something like 175k for the first round - that's not a joke.

If you bid X dollars and your gate revenue doesn't make up for the $30,000 minimum the NCAA is taking, you're losing money.

This is why WIU went and played in a high school stadium in Dayton against Dayton a couple years ago. WIU did not bid. Dayton bid the minimum of $30,000. The game was held in a high school stadium. The NCAA took the $30,000 and Dayton took the loss of whatever the difference in ticket revenue and $30,000 was. There was about 700 people there. Let's say $20 a ticket. That's $14,000 in revenue. That means Dayton lost $16,000 to host that game. It is why WIU did not bid. They knew they would draw about a thousand fans over Thanksgiving. Wasn't worth the loss to them.

UNI bids aggressively. Tickets are $20 this week. Guess a 10,000 crowd and that's $200,000 that is used as bidding. UNI wouldn't bid $200,000 but it's a big enough bid that only about 4 schools currently in the FCS would outbid UNI.

Let's use Lehigh numbers to guess a bid - which was due middle of October - and UNI has a projected ticket intake of $120,000 for that game - 6,000 people at $20 per ticket. Chances are UNI is bidding 75-100K for that game.

The NCAA takes the $75,000, or whatever the bid was, and whatever extra is made on it goes to UNI (or the loss goes to UNI). This is why reported attendances in the playoffs are so very different than the regular season. The NCAA isn't taking regular season money. If there are 10,000 paid people at a game in October and you report 13,000 there's no impact other than inflating numbers. If you report 13,000 tickets sold to the NCAA in the playoffs and you only sold 10,000 you're paying based on the 13,000.

This is why I'm shocked Montana didn't get one of the last spots. That's 20,000+ people paying to get into a game. Often times teams with larger fan bases get AL at a higher rate
                      Hosting a home playoff game is not a money maker, but it helps in the probability of winning a playoff game and keeps your supporters happy. In past years both Hartzell and Dannen said it was actually cheaper and easier to play away for a playoff game. Neither ever wanted to leave the dome, but factoring in the expenses of finding staff for game day, ticket sales, advertising for the game and bid it was easier and cheaper to play away. Thanksgiving weekend is a gamble on attendance, no students, game on ESPN3 and the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post

Hosting a home playoff game is not a money maker, but it helps in the probability of winning a playoff game and keeps your supporters happy. In past years both Hartzell and Dannen said it was actually cheaper and easier to play away for a playoff game. Neither ever wanted to leave the dome, but factoring in the expenses of finding staff for game day, ticket sales, advertising for the game and bid it was easier and cheaper to play away. Thanksgiving weekend is a gamble on attendance, no students, game on ESPN3 and the weather.
                        Yup. It's why WIU doesn't bid - and probably never will bid.

The NCAA covers a large portion of travel costs - which is why regionalization of the playoffs and the bus trip rule is a thing.

In an average year UNI might mostly break even hosting a playoff run.
                        In a year like 2010 - or this year - it's a money loser and it's not even a "Well, it's close". It's a straight up massive red number
                        Years like 07 and 08 made money. Maybe not a ton, but it made money.

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
                          On paper Monmouth looks really balanced with a good back but it seems their strength of schedule is soft so we'll see how that translates coming on the road and playing what has evolved into a very good D. I think we we come out and defend like we have been we should get out to an early lead and hopefully put this one away.

I always hate that these games hit on Thanksgiving break...with a light student crowd it will meat 8000-10000 in the dome, but that can get loud if the game warrants that level of noise.

The return trip to SDSU is a challenge but by the quarters everyone you play is a quality football team.
                          At $20 a ticket and no students I think 5000 might be it.

Seems like in in the past they charged $10

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Because we had $10 tickets for a regular season game. Have to charge at least as much as your lowest priced game.

5,000 at $20 = $100,000

We'd need 10,000 at $10 to match that. We wouldn't get an extra 5,000 just because a ticket is $10

Comment

I think they'd have gotten a better crowd with a 7:00 kick but I still think we get 9000 minimum. Team is playing well enough that naysayers like me even kind of believe we can make a run with the draw we got.
                              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

The price of the ticket has little to do with our attendance I believe. I've been attending playoff games in the Dome for uh? well? when was the Dome built? let's say for a long, long time. Over that time, I would guess the average attendance runs from 8,000 up to 10,000 on Thanksgiving with a low of but 6,000 a few years ago up to a sell out when we were the number one seed. This year the students are free and all other tickets are $20.

Comment

Working...
                                X