WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

next football season (2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next football season (2018)

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
    So next year we open with an OOC slate of @ Montana, Southern Utah at home and @ Iowa.

I really like our chances of going 2-1 in those games with what we have back. That's being really optimistic with our track record at Montana but I like what we have back. I think Southern Utah loses a lot in their QB so they aren't they same team and they get to go on the road. Iowa will be an uphill battle...especially in week three when they've had a couple weeks to smooth out the rough edges.

I think the biggest thing we need this off-season is continuity on the staff. If we can retain most of our assistants i think it really helps us have a good spring and puts us in good shape in the fall.
    I'd say we have as much chance at winning at Montana as we do at Iowa.
    Both teams are coming off somewhat down years. Overall, Iowa is the better team, but UNI just always seems to struggle against Montana, especially in Missoula.

But it is an early game in Montana. Won't be as cold as the playoff games we've had. I do think that is going to be a tough game, just not like Iowa.

Comment

Ask the machine that is NDSU how playing in Missoula goes.

Comment

A friend of mine who was on the team (way back when I was in school) told me there's no worse place to play on the road than Montana (he played in a playoff game out there) He said the crowd is loud...and relentless...and ruthless...and right on top of you.

I really like what we have back, but that schedule is a grind...7-4 will be a good result again next year.

Comment

I talked to a former player about playing in Montana, he said it is like playing in a prison. Lots of yelling, swearing, and throwing objects like batteries at the players.

I think after a while they just want to get out of there.

I see 1-2 and struggling to back into the playoffs. the only good thing is SDSU and NDSU should be at home.

Comment

the DSU's should both be at home. SD won't be the same without Streevler. I think WIU loses some important pieces. I once again think we're good enough play and win all these games but worry we could be 5-6 just as easy as we could end up 8-3. Lots of question marks on putting our O Line and D Line together. We lose Reth and Woods on the D Front and the O was musical chairs working around injuries etc. I think i'll be interested to go check out the spring game just to see what's there and how things progress.

Comment

The schedule is going to juggle some home/aways. With SIU coming off and Illinois State coming back on there is an issue. Both us and Illinois State should have had that game at home with the rotation of the other school coming off (I believe they're losing USD, but don't quote me). We have the game at home, so we are going double road with somebody (hoping Missouri State)

Here's what we know for sure
              9/1--@ Montana
              9/8--Southern Utah
              9-15-@ Iowa
              9/22-OPEN
              9/29-????
              10/6-North Dakota State
              10/13-@ South Dakota
              10/20-South Dakota State
              10/27-?????
              11/3--Illinois State
              11/10-@?????? (Dome not available)
              11/17-???? Home

If I'm guessing, and this is purely a guess--9/29 @ Western Illinois, 10/27 @ Indiana State , 11/10 @ Youngstown, 11/17 Missouri State.

Homecoming is October 20th.
              #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Homecoming is October 20th.
                Is that Homecoming date official or just speculation? I believe the last two or three years the homecoming date has been the first weekend of October. However, I don't see it being placed on the same time as the North Dakota State game. I was just curious. October 20 seems late in season for Homecoming.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post

Is that Homecoming date official or just speculation? I believe the last two or three years the homecoming date has been the first weekend of October. However, I don't see it being placed on the same time as the North Dakota State game. I was just curious. October 20 seems late in season for Homecoming.
                  Official. It's on the Alumni Association Calendar.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Any coaches leaving?
                    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                      Any coaches leaving?
                      I’d have no way to know, but let’s hope for some continuity on offense. When the radio team read off the starters for the SDSU playoff game, I’m pretty sure there were nine guys coming back next year. Cathart and Fountain were the only two seniors. We’ve got a bunch of talented, young WRs coming back, and you have to hope (cross fingers) for continued improvement from the linemen coming back. With some continuity on the offensive staff, we should be able to move the football and score next year.

Comment

I haven't heard anything on staff changes yet but i'd guess the month of January is probably moving season for most coaches. I'm sure we'll lose a few that's the nature of the beast but i hope we can keep most.

As for homecoming...I wish they'd put it in September if possible. I guess on some level i understand avoiding NDSU..we should sell plenty of tickets to that game anyway.
                        Last edited by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain; 12-11-2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
                          I haven't heard anything on staff changes yet but i'd guess the month of January is probably moving season for most coaches. I'm sure we'll loose a few that's the nature of the beast but i hope we can keep most.

As for homecoming...I wish they'd put it in September if possible. I guess on some level i understand avoiding NDSU..we should sell plenty of tickets to that game anyway.
                          That would require actually having more than one home game in September...
                          #MACtion

Comment

Before next season, I hope a decision is made to nix Sweet Caroline from the Dome. It is ISU's song, not ours. It smacks of the worst sort of little brotherism by bringing this song into UNI home games. There was a time when we did our own thing----

Comment

Originally posted by Cat80 View Post
                              Before next season, I hope a decision is made to nix Sweet Caroline from the Dome. It is ISU's song, not ours. It smacks of the worst sort of little brotherism by bringing this song into UNI home games. There was a time when we did our own thing----
                              Yes and no. Iowa State has a love/hate relationship with it. For a few years, Sweet Caroline was played between the 3rd and 4th quarters of football games. Quite the buzz-kill. And worse, it became a jinx as so many games were lost in the 4th quarter. However, when played after a big win, it is a fan favorite. This year, I think it has only been played after big wins.

But I hear it played at other places too.

Comment

Working...
                              X