WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early signing period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this Facebook thing is a flash in the pan - coach farley

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
      Appears we aren’t going to hear anything official. Jim Nelson tweeted out the following:

I have been informed unifootball is not going to release a list of the players it is signing today. I have tweeted out a few that I can confirm

It's a long story but coach Farley has his reasons and twitter doesn't have enough characters to describe it

Absolutely unbelievable.
      I can understand where he's coming from... It's totally stupid and 100% not what should be happening, but I get it.

Comment

While UNI is withholding signings (on a day that should be celebrated for the years of hard work by each athlete), on the Pluto app (remember the Southern Utah game?) the hour long North Dakota Fighting Hawks Football Signing Day special is taking place. A great production detailing their signings today.

If UNI is postponing the announcement of recruits in order to keep other current recruits in the dark on who UNI has signed, it's a bad look. In a day where players have access to Twitter and Facebook (and other social media), one can track who UNI has signed and connect the dots. That makes the program that withholds announcing recruits officially look like they think they can deceive future recruits (for whatever reasons that I'm not going to speculate why). That's not a reputation we want to promote...and it's just me speculating and trying to answer the question why one would want to withhold announcing official signings.
        The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad; let the distant shores rejoice, clouds and thick darkness surround Him; righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne. Fire goes before Him, and consumes his foes on every side; His lightning lights up the world; the earth sees and trembles; the mountains melt like wax before the Lord of all the earth. The heavens proclaim His righteousness and all peoples will see His glory.

Comment

Between Keller last year and Ingoli this year Farley is building quite the mid major basketball team.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
            this Facebook thing is a flash in the pan - coach farley
            “Internet? Is that thing still around?”
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

I can understand where he's coming from... It's totally stupid and 100% not what should be happening, but I get it.
              Help literally everyone else understand where he's coming from this.

This is about as dumb as it gets.

Comment

There are other kids that he wants and doesn't want them to know he's signed others at the same positions. It's shady, it's bad PR, it makes you look really, really small time. Hell, Iowa Western tweeted out some of the neatest graphics I've ever seen celebrating both guys they've signed and their guys that have signed other places but we act like signing day isn't even happening.

If I'm an 18 year old kid having the greatest day of my life and the guy that I've committed to for the next five years doesn't want to publically celebrate with me, I have some real concerns about what I'm getting into. This is the age we live in!

Just when you think Mark has turned a corner, the clock strikes midnight and he turns right back into the paranoid, insecure pumpkin that he is.
                #MACtion

Comment

This program is still operating like it was 20 years ago. I've been a huge supporter of Farley in the past but he has lost me. This year was the first time I have ever skipped a playoff game but I wasn't going to go watch us play a team we had no business playing only to have to go on the road the next week to prove we didn't belong.

The AD has to take responsibility here and own the signing day process. It is the same crap that happens with the game day atmosphere from the team introductions to the band. The wrong people are in control and until the AD realizes that and is willing to actually force change, this program is going to continue ahead with the train wreck it has become. Unreal.
                  If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I've seen some of the kids on twitter post pics with UNI graphics stating they've committed to UNI. Is the school supplying these to them?

I agree this seems pretty tone deaf. The school should celebrate and share that these kids are coming and promote the program in my opinion. In this day and age when people can learn most everything with a little effort it's best to control and promote your narrative.

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
                      I've seen some of the kids on twitter post pics with UNI graphics stating they've committed to UNI. Is the school supplying these to them?

I agree this seems pretty tone deaf. The school should celebrate and share that these kids are coming and promote the program in my opinion. In this day and age when people can learn most everything with a little effort it's best to control and promote your narrative.
                      We don't want other recruits seeing that someone else at the same position might have signed. Heaven forbid we sign a kid who wants to have to fight for their spot and work hard

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Help literally everyone else understand where he's coming from this.

This is about as dumb as it gets.
                        I'd guess he's trying to keep the names under wraps as a way of trying to get a leg up on the competition. "If they don't know our personal, they're going to have a much harder time scouting us!" Again, it's really, really stupid, but it vaguely resembles logic, which is as close to it gets with Farley.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthers to the Bone View Post
                          While UNI is withholding signings (on a day that should be celebrated for the years of hard work by each athlete), on the Pluto app (remember the Southern Utah game?) the hour long North Dakota Fighting Hawks Football Signing Day special is taking place. A great production detailing their signings today.

If UNI is postponing the announcement of recruits in order to keep other current recruits in the dark on who UNI has signed, it's a bad look. In a day where players have access to Twitter and Facebook (and other social media), one can track who UNI has signed and connect the dots. That makes the program that withholds announcing recruits officially look like they think they can deceive future recruits (for whatever reasons that I'm not going to speculate why). That's not a reputation we want to promote...and it's just me speculating and trying to answer the question why one would want to withhold announcing official signings.

Wow. That seems like it might be the explanation. But that is just too bad. If Farley is trying to be "different," he is accomplishing it. However, it seems so poorly thought out.

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

I'd guess he's trying to keep the names under wraps as a way of trying to get a leg up on the competition. "If they don't know our personal, they're going to have a much harder time scouting us!" Again, it's really, really stupid, but it vaguely resembles logic, which is as close to it gets with Farley.
                            It’s logical...logically dumb, that is. This has got to be one of the more misguided things I’ve seen in a while.

Comment

Maybe....he's had issues with other MVFC schools using UNI's signing announcements to persuade other potential recruits to go with them.

If he's got a conference foe who's used this information aggressively with unsigned recruits, then perhaps it's not a bad play to wait til Friday and make your announcements then.

I don't know if that's the case. But it's possible. And there's a habit on this board to paint things as negative as possible. Fake news...some might call it.
                              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                                Maybe....he's had issues with other MVFC schools using UNI's signing announcements to persuade other potential recruits to go with them.

If he's got a conference foe who's used this information aggressively with unsigned recruits, then perhaps it's not a bad play to wait til Friday and make your announcements then.

I don't know if that's the case. But it's possible. And there's a habit on this board to paint things as negative as possible. Fake news...some might call it.
                                If that’s his reasoning, then why don’t other schools do this? In the grand scheme, this isn’t some national crime, but it just seems foolish and also maybe a little paranoid. Hype the program, don’t hide, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X