WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Football Schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

This is correct. The fact that people are whining about the start time of a home game against the best team in the history of FCS football, a game we have a pretty decent shot at winning, because it conflicts with watching Iowa or Iowa State on TV, is a sad reflection on the state of our fan base. If Iowa could get Alabama to come to Kinnick to play at 3:00am you would not be able to buy the $150 ticket without serious connections.
    It is what it is though. We need to be doing what we can to get people in the stands. Not making it harder. I get your point but unfortunately we rely on the "casual" cedar valley observers - so we should be controlling what we can control. We can't force people and we can't control everything - but we should control what we can control to the best of our abilities.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

It is what it is though. We need to be doing what we can to get people in the stands. Not making it harder. I get your point but unfortunately we rely on the "casual" cedar valley observers - so we should be controlling what we can control. We can't force people and we can't control everything - but we should control what we can control to the best of our abilities.
      This is correct.

BAP, you have a young active family, the exact type of family we're trying to get here. How difficult are 1:00 kicks for you guys with your boys being so involved and active in sports and what not?
      #MACtion

Comment

• I think it sucks. Go out of the way to screw up the best tailgate day in two years.

Stop going out of the way to hurt football.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

This is correct.

BAP, you have a young active family, the exact type of family we're trying to get here. How difficult are 1:00 kicks for you guys with your boys being so involved and active in sports and what not?
          My kids are younger than BAP but I can tell you based on researching the Cedar Rapids metro youth league for various sports - 1PM kick off is impossible for anyone with kids that would be coming from down here.

soccer alone down here has about 4000 kids between the different leagues. The main complex off of country home road on the north end of the metro has 15 fields and starting at 730am on Saturdays from April until October they are packed until mid afternoon, or later. That doesn’t include all the youth football, baseball, softball, basketball and other miscellaneous events.

Anything before 4 greatly limits the metro with the largest, or second largest, UNI alumni base in the country.

Let’s say only 1000 less fans show up. So 14,000 instead of 15,000. Average sale price on those tickets is, say, $30. That’s $30,000 plus concessions and parking we gave up to broadcast a volleyball game behind a pay wall. Essentially giving up close to $50,000 for a volleyball game that will draw less than 100 views. All PN posters talk about is us needing more money and we voluntarily give up fhensigle biggest money making day we will have for 2 years. Not to mention creating an atmosphere that could draw repeat customers and families.

It’s also worth noting that it’s the Foyd of Rosedale game, and not Iowa v Indiana/Purdue/Rutgers/Maryland. It’s the biggest (maybe second?) biggest regular season game for those two schools. That game will certainly keep people away at a higher rate than other B10 games would. It’s about understanding everything around you.

Yes, it sucks we have a fickle fan base, but we continue to find ways to avoid bringing the fickle and casual fans in and giving the experiences to draw them back. Even once inside the stadium/arena. There are laundry lists of things that need improving for game day experience, but if we don’t give more fans events they want to see at times they can we don’t get to even begin to build that base
          Last edited by clenz; 06-13-2018, 09:08 AM.
          "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
          -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
            Yes, it sucks we have a fickle fan base, but we continue to find ways to avoid bringing the fickle and casual fans in and giving the experiences to draw them back.
            This part here is spot on. We have an opportunity to spotlight our game with the biggest name in FCS football and one that the state of Iowa knows even if they have never watched a UNI football game because of games against ISU and Iowa and we decide that broadcasting a volleyball match is more important. Mind boggling...
            If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

This is correct.

We've been involved in the flag football season for years. The last games for flag football on Saturday mornings are scheduled at noon. Luckily our boys haven't gotten into soccer but our niece is and Saturday mornings are crazy for soccer in the fall. Now we also have a baby on the way - in one month to be exact - and 1:00 is right in the heart of nap time.

Obviously no one has to worry about me making excuses. Our family will always do absolutely everything we can to be there. My husband doesn't have a choice - he works in the press box - but with having to manage three kids on my own this upcoming season during football games - 1:00 kicks are brutal.

And I get it - Iowa kicks in the morning or before noon quite frequently - but they don't rely nearly as heavily on families with children. I can tell you that when we coax non-season ticket holder friends of ours to games, a big draw is the tailgating and how family friendly it is at the Dome. Kick at 1:00 and you eliminate that draw.
              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Is it possible that the game time may have been influenced by TV? That it's the MVC game of the week and they want that time slot or ESPN or some other broadcast partner asked for us to start the game in that time slot? It otherwise seems like an odd decision. I'll be there regardless...whether they start it at 11am or 8pm or anywhere in between.

Comment

• No. The MVFC has not picked GOTW yet. They also don’t play those at 1 freakin PM.
                  "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                  -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

• Disappointing choice by the AD. This is definitely a misstep in trying to bring new and old fans back to Panther football. As for revenue lost, I'm sure the NDSU fans will gladly purchase any remaining tickets and make the trip, thus giving them a semi-home field advantage. Their fans are loud even when they bring 3,000 or so compared to our 8,000 plus.

Comment

• Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                      Disappointing choice by the AD. This is definitely a misstep in trying to bring new and old fans back to Panther football. As for revenue lost, I'm sure the NDSU fans will gladly purchase any remaining tickets and make the trip, thus giving them a semi-home field advantage. Their fans are loud even when they bring 3,000 or so compared to our 8,000 plus.
                      I suspect NDSU would have 3,000 show up for a scrimmage seven hours from home. They travel very, very well.

Agree with all posts ... this was a blown opportunity.
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• NDSU should be a 6:30 or 7:00 kick imho.

Comment

Working...
                        X