WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Football Schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
    Four homes games? Seriously?

have been season ticket holder for about 11 years. That is a joke. Sure as heck am not playing personal seat license to watch 4 games.

I enjoy the tailgating and that is about it given the product on the field lately. I doubt I am alone but the people that want to have fun on weekends will start looking at buying ISU season tickets. I know I will if four games is the plan going forward.

Buy a darn game or two and sell beer. You can’t have a program on 4 games. That is nothing, people will not sit home waiting weeks for the next game.

The team will be bad doing that, there will be long stretches between games at home, and nobody will go. Just walk up to the door and pay.

Better make sure those four games iowa and isu are on the road.

I thought you needed ticket demand before you could start jerking around the fans that actually go.

I heard that basketvall is considering a reseating for their season ticket holders also? At least after they all move to the ends to avoid high fees for bad basketball the $10 tickets will be at center court when nobody comes.

i realize I went to public school but I thought the formula was “get good and then crank up the prices”.

Uni never will bank to charge their way to financial freedom. You hav to work to get the fans to want to give you money. Beer sales is the most logical. Better concessions would be another. Have some high school bands play at halftime. Some might bring parents in that buy tickets.

Put part deck deck on south side of field and rent that out.

Need to think way outside the box.
    I actually agree with most everything here. The bolded is the exception.

The building hasn't been reseated since it opened and there are a lot of holes where people have non-renewed, moved, died, changed sponsorship levels, etc. Its time to reseat to reward those people that have stepped up contributions in the last decade. There are also much stricter seat limits so that businesses can't buy up the first two rows of the middle section so that they're guaranteed to sit empty. It's long over due.

#MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I actually agree with most everything here. The bolded is the exception.

The building hasn't been reseated since it opened and there are a lot of holes where people have non-renewed, moved, died, changed sponsorship levels, etc. Its time to reseat to reward those people that have stepped up contributions in the last decade. There are also much stricter seat limits so that businesses can't buy up the first two rows of the middle section so that they're guaranteed to sit empty. It's long over due.

I think what is happening at UNI is a down-sized model of what ISU instituted under Jamie Pollard. Many of the same criticisms I read here were much like those directed at Pollard when he started charging seat fees, reseated long time ticket holders, increased parking fees and locations etc. Our situation is different in that we are in a much more dire financial position than ISU. I believe we are in the final stages of "pay up or close down" our D I programs.

It appears that a number of people on this board would rather not have a program rather than pay seat fees, pay higher ticket prices and aren't willing to donate when asked to pay more into the PSC without an improvement in the quality on the field. Institutional support will be less in the next UNI budgets to the athletic department as the state legislature continues to cut their budgets to do with higher education. If the legislature and board of regents determine that people to not care to support the athletic programs at UNI other than *****ing then they will end those programs by cutting their funding.

Comment

• Originally posted by northwest iowa panther View Post

I think what is happening at UNI is a down-sized model of what ISU instituted under Jamie Pollard. Many of the same criticisms I read here were much like those directed at Pollard when he started charging seat fees, reseated long time ticket holders, increased parking fees and locations etc. Our situation is different in that we are in a much more dire financial position than ISU. I believe we are in the final stages of "pay up or close down" our D I programs.

It appears that a number of people on this board would rather not have a program rather than pay seat fees, pay higher ticket prices and aren't willing to donate when asked to pay more into the PSC without an improvement in the quality on the field. Institutional support will be less in the next UNI budgets to the athletic department as the state legislature continues to cut their budgets to do with higher education. If the legislature and board of regents determine that people to not care to support the athletic programs at UNI other than *****ing then they will end those programs by cutting their funding.
        I have no problem paying for parking. They should have done that long ago. Cranking up prices when the product is sub par is not good period.
        Beer garden was a success for basketball. Just open up the entire arena and have The different breweries in the Cedar Valley sell beer in each corner of arena. Open the place up two hours before tip off and sell appitizers to go with the beer.

I thnk having qll the games in ESPN3 hurts ticket sales. Not sure much can be done about that.

Title ix is is a killer to non power five schools.

I think football needs a new leader Farley has been here too long and frankly the program is on a trend down.

Basketball has no excuses. They spend the most money of anybody in the conference. Past couple of seasons has been awful. Recruiting has to get better period.

Comment

• Did I see Jared Farley is now a GA at Iowa state?

Comment

• Originally posted by Panther'73 View Post
            Did I see Jared Farley is now a GA at Iowa state?
            Yes he is.
            "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Originally posted by run&blade View Post
              Four homes games? Seriously?

have been season ticket holder for about 11 years. That is a joke. Sure as heck am not playing personal seat license to watch 4 games.

I enjoy the tailgating and that is about it given the product on the field lately. I doubt I am alone but the people that want to have fun on weekends will start looking at buying ISU season tickets. I know I will if four games is the plan going forward.

Buy a darn game or two and sell beer. You can’t have a program on 4 games. That is nothing, people will not sit home waiting weeks for the next game.

The team will be bad doing that, there will be long stretches between games at home, and nobody will go. Just walk up to the door and pay.

Better make sure those four games iowa and isu are on the road.

I thought you needed ticket demand before you could start jerking around the fans that actually go.

I heard that basketvall is considering a reseating for their season ticket holders also? At least after they all move to the ends to avoid high fees for bad basketball the $10 tickets will be at center court when nobody comes.

i realize I went to public school but I thought the formula was “get good and then crank up the prices”.

Uni never will bank to charge their way to financial freedom. You hav to work to get the fans to want to give you money. Beer sales is the most logical. Better concessions would be another. Have some high school bands play at halftime. Some might bring parents in that buy tickets.

Put part deck deck on south side of field and rent that out.

Need to think way outside the box.

Be careful with this move. a Lot of band parents buy season tickets for the few years that their child is in marching band. I have seats behind the band and watch band parents rotate out about every 2-4 years

Comment

• Originally posted by hamalot View Post

Be careful with this move. a Lot of band parents buy season tickets for the few years that their child is in marching band. I have seats behind the band and watch band parents rotate out about every 2-4 years
                still sells tickets. ticket revenue is ticket revenue. it's not like the place is selling out and band parents buying tickets is preventing more hardcore football fans from being able to attend.

I'm quite indifferent on marching band halftime performances, so I don't care one way or the other if they bring HS bands in. But I'm not following what you mean by how they need to be careful with that move.

Comment

• If anything high school bands would sell more tickets as parents and family come to watch.
                  "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                  -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

I don't think you are quite accurate about the comparison with Iowa State. For instance, there are no "seat fees" (as in a flat fee to buy a license that entitles you to buy season tickets for those seats "forever") for basketball or football. Rather, there are donation levels that give you the opportunity to buy tickets in a section, such as a $500 donation gives you the privilege to buy up to 4 tickets in the Sukup End Zone section for $825 each. However, there are sections at all levels of donation with season tickets priced at $425. The better the donation, the better the section for your $425 season tickets. And there are still large public sections that require no donation, such as upper deck corners where season tickets are $199 and lower level corners $299.

There has been talk about re-seating long-time ticket-holders, particularly for basketball. It is needed, but it hasn't happened yet. There are tons of people who were grandfathered in to great seats in sections where they are making annual donations way lower than market value, I was a $2500 donor a few years ago and could only get additional tickets high in the balcony corners. I don't believe that most of the people in the front rows of our section are giving at that level of annual donation.

Football did a re-seating a few years ago when they replaced the south end zone. And they did another minor re-seating when they switched sidelines and moved the visitor's section to the other side (putting the visiting band right between us and the field!).

Parking for basketball is free. Better donations result in parking that is closer, but it is still free with your season tickets. The public can park for free at the far ends of the Hilton lot (near Jack Trice).

Public parking for football is $20 in the grass lots and around Hilton. Season parking passes are only $100. And you get to pick your location in order of donation level. We get into the RV lots for $100 per season! Best deal in the tailgating world!

None of this takes away from your main point about UNI being in a precarious situation. Just trying to avoid inaccurate comparisons.
                    Last edited by UNIdad; 03-18-2018, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

I don't think you are quite accurate about the comparison with Iowa State. For instance, there are no "seat fees" (as in a flat fee to buy a license that entitles you to buy season tickets for those seats "forever") for basketball or football. Rather, there are donation levels that give you the opportunity to buy tickets in a section, such as a $500 donation gives you the privilege to buy up to 4 tickets in the Sukup End Zone section for $825 each. However, there are sections at all levels of donation with season tickets priced at $425. The better the donation, the better the section for your $425 season tickets. And there are still large public sections that require no donation, such as upper deck corners where season tickets are $199 and lower level corners $299.

There has been talk about re-seating long-time ticket-holders, particularly for basketball. It is needed, but it hasn't happened yet. There are tons of people who were grandfathered in to great seats in sections where they are making annual donations way lower than market value, I was a $2500 donor a few years ago and could only get additional tickets high in the balcony corners. I don't believe that most of the people in the front rows of our section are giving at that level of annual donation.

Football did a re-seating a few years ago when they replaced the south end zone. And they did another minor re-seating when they switched sidelines and moved the visitor's section to the other side (putting the visiting band right between us and the field!).

Parking for basketball is free. Better donations result in parking that is closer, but it is still free with your season tickets. The public can park for free at the far ends of the Hilton lot (near Jack Trice).

Public parking for football is $20 in the grass lots and around Hilton. Season parking passes are only $100. And you get to pick your location in order of donation level. We get into the RV lots for $100 per season! Best deal in the tailgating world!

None of this takes away from your main point about UNI being in a precarious situation. Just trying to avoid inaccurate comparisons.
                      So your saying the higher your donation the better your seat location--you're just not calling it a seat fee? I'm saying Pollard instituted " higher the donation the better the seat you still had to pay for separately." I have friends that opted not to pay the higher donation and they were moved. Semantics aside the thing with ISU is that they were in a situation that the Big XII was in meltdown and Pollard upped the price to supporters to show commitment to the Big XII.

Comment

• UT-Martin has gone from out on the 8th to completely out of the picture with their schedule announcement
                        "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."

Comment

So your saying the higher your donation the better your seat location--you're just not calling it a seat fee? I'm saying Pollard instituted " higher the donation the better the seat you still had to pay for separately." I have friends that opted not to pay the higher donation and they were moved. Semantics aside the thing with ISU is that they were in a situation that the Big XII was in meltdown and Pollard upped the price to supporters to show commitment to the Big XII.
                          Shockingly he described exactly what UNI instituted a few years back

I mean...here's the basketball seating chart from last years season ticket sales

106-108 and 113-115 are donor seats. In order to have tickets in sections 107 or 114 you need to donate at least $250 per seat you purchase. In 106, 108, 113 and 115 it is $100 per seat. That isn't on top of your PSC donation, that is your donation. The donation level covers football and basketball. Say you want 4 seats in section. It's $299 per seat plus a minimum total donation to the PSC of $1,000. 6 seats in section 108 that'll be 299 per ticket plus at least a $600 donation.

Now, that 1,000 donation also covers your minimum donation for football seats between the 40s (which I'm blanking on right now).

So...yeah...basically exactly what he tried to describe as happening at ISU but not UNI....somehow.

Comment

• So then, we're still pretty much looking at the 10 game schedule posted at the beginning of the thread, right?
                            Last edited by in_the_stands; 03-20-2018, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                              So then, we're still pretty much looking at the 10 game schedule posted at the beginning of the thread, right?
                              As of now. There will be an 11th and it’ll be a home game. I just can’t imagine he not being a D2 at this point.

Vegas betting betting odds on it would be
                              UIU 3:2
                              Any D2 2:1
                              D1 13:2

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

As of now. There will be an 11th and it’ll be a home game. I just can’t imagine he not being a D2 at this point.

Vegas betting betting odds on it would be
                                UIU 3:2
                                Any D2 2:1
                                D1 13:2
                                AD Harris was just on OPR with Rima and was asked about our open date. It sounded that he was down to a road game or buying a game that he wasn't sure that it would be financially feasible. Harris said that he was actually working on this game before he officially took over at UNI. So it just isn't that he has been looking since the first of this year. He said they have but a few leads left for this year and actually have a good possibility of filling our open dates for '19 and '20. He said it was exasperating to have a deal near completion to have it fall through. He hasn't given up on a home date, but . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                                X