WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 Football Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post

It doesn't take nearly as much cash as you'd think to buy most FCS teams. The program will get about 650K from the Iowa State game. Mississippi Valley State got 230k from NDSU last year, will get 240k from UND next year and about 200k from SIU last year. SWAC schools will take about 175-240K to get to your place. It wouldn't take much to get almost all of that recouped. Say it costs 200k to get a SWAC, NEC, OVC school - and outside of about 15-20 FCS schools that is enough o get every single school assuming other boxes are checked. That's 10,000 people in the door at $20. Early in the season there's still enough hope and preseason hype left over to pull that kind of number between tickets, parking and concessions.

The money is there to do it, it's getting someone willing to do it beyond the paycheck number that's going to be the largest issue - which is why the paycheck number is as high as it is. SDSU, NDSU, YSU, UND, SIU, etc. all trying to get 6 home games has driven the price up a bit. Not only that other ADs know that the game is likely a loss for them - especially NDSU, SDSU, YSU and even UNI. That means the price goes up a bit as well. Getting a PFL, NEC, SWAC or most OVC teams still isn't a financial issue. It's an issue of valuing 6 home games.

The Ivy's are out. They only play 10 games and refuse to play anyone outside of the Northeast - Patriot, NEC and a couple select CAA programs.
    The SoCon is out - none of them are interesting in coming up here, especially for a buy
    The Southland, unfortunately, is out. They play a 9 game conference schedule. They also all play an FBS game leaving them with just 1 free game, which almost all of them use on D2 home games.
    The CAA is out when it comes to buy games.
    The top half of the Big Sky is out as well just due to the stature of their programs

This is the list of teams that UNI could/should go after for buy games...getting anyone not on this list for a buy game isn't going to happen without some significant changes in something

Big Sky:
    Idaho State
    Northern Colorado
    Sac State
    Cal Davis - very unlikely but I'm not taking based on likelyhood

Big South:
    Gardner-Webb
    Monmouth

CAA:
    Maine
    Rhode Island

MEAC:
    Delaware State
    Morgan State
    Norfolk State

NEC:
    Duquesne
    Robert Morris
    Sacred Heart
    Saint Francis

OVC:
    Eastern Illinois
    Murray State
    Southeast Missouri State
    Tennessee State
    Tennessee Tech

Pioneer:
    Butler
    Davidson
    Drake
    Marist
    Morehead State
    Valpo

SWAC:
    Mississippi Valley State - most likely
    I'm sure most of them for the right combo of price and year

That's something like 35-40 teams to draw form in any given year. Given the fact that MVFC typically has 6-8 teams ranked in the top 20-25 there is no SOS/resume reason to play other top 30-40 ranked teams in the OOC slate along with an FBS.

Getting one of them in here financially isn't the obstacle.
    I'm sorry but I believe your hypothetical reasoning of being able to cover a $200,000 payout was shot to h*** by our terrible turnout for the playoff game. There arepeople on this board that they weren't going to pay the $20 to watch a bad playoff game. Supporting the Panthers with a ticket purchase was not even a secondary reason for going to the game. With that in mind AD Harris has said on a couple occasions that he has second thoughts on trying to cover the cost of a playoff game in the future. That was the playoff game. If we take $200,000 and spend it on a buy game it is $200,000 less in our athletic account. Add up the lack of support for the playoff game and the substantial cost of a "buy game" and I'm thinking that isn't going to happen.

The state legislature is again reducing the budgets of all three state universities. Our athletic department is an easy target for covering those cuts. They're talking what? another $10 m. (about what comes to the athletic dept. from the general fund). We're thinking $200,000 is a cheap buy for an FCS opponent? When we are talking about holding serve on a budget that is under attack, every dollar counts.

Comment

If you think playoff attendance is actually an apt comparison to a game in September then there is no point to continuing that conversation.

Look at playoff attendance - especially thanksgiving weekend and you’ll quickly see you’re trying to fit a stop sign through a PO box for a comparison.
      Last edited by clenz; 01-29-2018, 09:53 AM.

Comment

How or why we don’t schedule Drake every year is beyond me. Throw them a 2 for 1 bone and play in Des Moines every third year. Easy win, local interest, reaching out to alumni in Des Moines.

Comment

Look at olayiff attendance acriss tr nation
          ...You okay?

Comment

It doesn't take nearly as much cash as you'd think to buy most FCS teams.

MEAC:
            Delaware State
            Morgan State
            Norfolk State

Getting one of them in here financially isn't the obstacle.
            I hope that we never schedule another MEAC game. Have we forgotten about Morgan State in 2014? If I recall correctly, Morgan ditching us is what lead to Hawaii and BYU back to back.

Comment

If this is how we are going to continue to schedule, its time to drastically slash ticket prices and donation requirements because we are no longer a program that is even attempting to win a national championship.

As PSC members and season ticket holders, it is not fair to us when we are being sold as an elite program and national title contender, when in reality every decision that is made is of a program perfectly content with maybe getting to 7 wins, and just trying to lose as little money as possible.

Refusing to buy a home game, pretending like its impossible to play 6 home games, pretending its absolutely necessary to play multiple FBS games. Its all BS. Our coach is one of the single highest paid in the country, our attendance is always top 25 nationally, and our overall support is greater than the vast majority of FCS football.

When Western Illinois is in danger of getting its doors shut as a university and doesnt even have to play an FBS game last season, you kind of have to wonder what we are being told at UNI.

I look foward to paying top dollar to see several more 2-4 starts the next 5 years.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                If this is how we are going to continue to schedule, its time to drastically slash ticket prices and donation requirements because we are no longer a program that is even attempting to win a national championship.

As PSC members and season ticket holders, it is not fair to us when we are being sold as an elite program and national title contender, when in reality every decision that is made is of a program perfectly content with maybe getting to 7 wins, and just trying to lose as little money as possible.

Refusing to buy a home game, pretending like its impossible to play 6 home games, pretending its absolutely necessary to play multiple FBS games. Its all BS. Our coach is one of the single highest paid in the country, our attendance is always top 25 nationally, and our overall support is greater than the vast majority of FCS football.

When Western Illinois is in danger of getting its doors shut as a university and doesnt even have to play an FBS game last season, you kind of have to wonder what we are being told at UNI.

I look foward to paying top dollar to see several more 2-4 starts the next 5 years.
                This is dead on and said much more eloquently than I'd be able to say it.

In general, I'm getting tired of 'We do more with less'. We have a Top 15 FCS budget and the largest basketball budget in the Valley.

The fact that we never have 6 home games and usually only have 1 home game before the second weekend in October is criminal with the resources and attendance we have.

#MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by panther1 View Post
                  How or why we don’t schedule Drake every year is beyond me. Throw them a 2 for 1 bone and play in Des Moines every third year. Easy win, local interest, reaching out to alumni in Des Moines.
                  That's on their end. They don't(or at least didn't) want it.
                  Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

...You okay?
                    Flu+medication+lack of sleep+typing on a cell phone.....I'm shocked the rest of what I posted during that time frame turned out as well as it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post

I hope that we never schedule another MEAC game. Have we forgotten about Morgan State in 2014? If I recall correctly, Morgan ditching us is what lead to Hawaii and BYU back to back.
                      That had nothing to do with Hawaii as that was a different season - 2014. 2014 was a 12 game season and Troy decided that Hawai'i's offer of 100% paid travel and food plus pay for the game was worth it in a 12 game schedule and we opened 2014
                      at Iowa
                      Open
                      at Hawai'i
                      vs Northern Colorado
                      vs Tennessee Tech

UNI was within one score of winning both FBS games that year.

BYU was 2008 - long before anything related to this.

It also wasn't Morgan State - it was Savannah State who is dropping to D2 because they can't afford D1 status anymore.

That happened in 2012 and we had 2 FBS games at our doing, not because of that.

UNI had a return game @ SUU scheduled for the first week of that season. In November of 2011 Wisconsin approached UNI and bought the SUU return game out. Wisconsin paid SUU to not play UNI and then paid UNI to play in Wisconsin. Iowa was already on the schedule for week 3 that year.

Savannah State had Florida State buy UNI out at some point - no one knows for sure - but UNI didn't find out until like April. The department was left scrambling for a game and paid D2 Central State $50,000 to bus from their campus in Ohio 13 hours to Cedar Falls and then bus home.

A season that should have started
                      at Southern Utah
                      vs Savannah State
                      at Iowa

Started

at Wisky
                      vs Central State
                      at Iowa

Sure being bought at late like that was terrible. The way that season started was due to our own scheduling. Savannah State would have turned out very similar to Central State.

I wouldn't hold Savannah State against the MEAC. While the MEAC has issues of their own, SSU was another three levels beyond what the rest of the MEAC is at.
                      Last edited by clenz; 01-29-2018, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Just looked up more on SSU, because I wasn't 100% sure and didn't look anything up for my last post.

SSU has the 4th smallest athletic budget in D1 at 5.02m for the entire athletic - ahead of only Mississippi Valley State, Coppin State and Alabama A&M (who is at 2.5m)

There's a reason MVSU has played NDSU, SIU, Montana, Illinois State and now UND since 2013. They'll play anywhere that pays them. They only offer 33 of 63 possible football schedules. Their basketball team doesn't play a single OOC game at home. They spend Thanksgiving through New Years flying around the country, getting crushed, on other peoples dime because it's about their only source of money.

Using playoff attendance for determining pay for a September game is silly. Across the country playoff attendance is something like 40-45% of regular season attendance. The best drawing schools in the country still draw only about 75% of their regular season games. NDSU isn't even selling out playoff games.

It's also silly because playoff attendance doesn't count all seats sold like a regular season game would when posting official attendance numbers due to how the NCAA takes money. Regular season games will post all tickets sold, used or not, for attendance. If you do that in the playoffs the NCAA takes more money so every school uses AIS for attendance. Given that the first round of playoffs is Thanksgiving weekend there's about 2 schools that would draw "well" that weekend. and by well I still mean about 50% of their regular season attendance. NDSU isn't drawing more than 12K for a thanksgiving weekend game.

Comment

Scratch Western Carolina off of the potential game list. They have finalized their schedule with Sept 8th as an open date

Comment

As it gets later and later...we may just need to pay a D2 school - Upper Iowa, Winona State, Minnesota State or someone out of MO or KS to come in and play. We really need a home game to give us a break between at Montana and at Iowa. Preferably one that allows us to win, stay relatively healthy and get a lot of players game reps.

Comment

Add Bucknell and Sacred Heart to the list of FCS programs NA for the 8th.

Comment

Add Dayton and SEMO to the list of teams that are off the table for Sept 8th....

The D1 list is getting pretty damn small

Comment

Working...
                                X