WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change in kickoff rule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
    It's so dumb. Just end the kickoff. It's whats going to happen eventually. Just get it over with.
    Can't end the kickoff entirely as you'd also eliminate the on-side kick.

There'd be no chance for a team to attempt a comeback late in a game if down by >1 score.

Can't fair catch an on-side.
    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Can't end the kickoff entirely as you'd also eliminate the on-side kick.

There'd be no chance for a team to attempt a comeback late in a game if down by >1 score.

The kick off will be gone in 5-10 years.

Whether there will be some onside kick option I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        We're within 10 years of the kickoff being eliminated completely.

Get ready for lots and lots of squib kicks.
        Missed this. But this is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

The kick off will be gone in 5-10 years.

Whether there will be some onside kick option I don't know
          The spring league that CBS is starting next year has no kick off. Ball at the 25. “Onside” will now be a 4th and 10 situation from the spot of a kick off. If the team converts they keep the ball. If not the other team takes over at the spot of the fail

thats the most likely outcome moving forward.
          "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
          -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

At one point, I know the rule was that you could not call for a fair catch if the kicked ball had already hit the ground.
            Which is why onside kicks were usually kicked in such a manner that they hit the ground right away.
            This may have been changed in recent rules revisions, I don't know.

Comment

I'd say give the kicking team the option of kicking off, or just letting the other team start at the 25. (or heck, move it back to the 20, like it always used to be on touchbacks). That would still allow the possibility of onside kicks, but I'm guessing most of the time, teams would elect to just let the other team start at the 20/25.

Comment

Instead of a kickoff, could they line it up from the 35 yard line but run it as a punt instead?

Offense has option to kick or try to gain 10 yards...as mentioned above in spring league. Defense lines up at 35 yard line to stop the O.

It eliminates the kicking team getting a free run from the 35 yard line and eliminates the severe collisions with the blockers on the return team.

Returner could still fair catch, return it or let it go in end zone for a touchback. Could still have big returns.

If kicking team wants to retain possessions, they have to gain 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Eliminates the need for coaching staffs to develop two special teams units...kick off and kick return.

Comment

Instead of a kickoff, could they line it up from the 35 yard line but run it as a punt instead?

Offense has option to kick or try to gain 10 yards...as mentioned above in spring league. Defense lines up at 35 yard line to stop the O.

It eliminates the kicking team getting a free run from the 35 yard line and eliminates the severe collisions with the blockers on the return team.

Returner could still fair catch, return it or let it go in end zone for a touchback. Could still have big returns.

If kicking team wants to retain possessions, they have to gain 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Eliminates the need for coaching staffs to develop two special teams units...kick off and kick return.

I'm totally on board with this change. Something else I've heard discussed that I think is interesting is changing the line you kick from if it's off a field goal as opposed to a TD. Punt from the 25 if it's after a field goal, 35 if after TD.
                  "I think they're very good," Farley said of the preseason top 25 Hawkeyes. "But so are we."

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post
                    Something else I've heard discussed that I think is interesting is changing the line you kick from if it's off a field goal as opposed to a TD. Punt from the 25 if it's after a field goal, 35 if after TD.
                    What's the logic behind that?

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuCAT View Post

I'm totally on board with this change. Something else I've heard discussed that I think is interesting is changing the line you kick from if it's off a field goal as opposed to a TD. Punt from the 25 if it's after a field goal, 35 if after TD.
                      Well since the door is open....a few other rule changes that might sound off the wall but I'd be in favor of....

Eliminate the extra point. Biggest waste of time in sports.

Replace it with a 1 point conversion from 2 yard line or a 2 point conversion from the 10 yard line. Offense chooses. Would be a much more exciting play and much truer to the fundamentals of the game of football.

To reduce the number of FG attempts...make a FG worth 3 points if you make it and 3 points for the defense if you miss. The result will be fewer long FG tries, more drama on shorter FGs, and more teams will go for it on 4th down inside the 40.

Teams would still try dramatic FGs at the end of games because it's your chance for points to win the game (down 1 with 10 seconds on clock...3 pts wins it, -3 is inconsequential).

But mid game FG attempts would be much less common but more dramatic/impactful.
                      Last edited by Blue42; 04-16-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

wow, some of you guys really hate kickers and want to remove them from the game as much as possible.
                        perhaps the game of football should just outright ban any contact between the foot and the ball altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                          The spring league that CBS is starting next year has no kick off. Ball at the 25. “Onside” will now be a 4th and 10 situation from the spot of a kick off. If the team converts they keep the ball. If not the other team takes over at the spot of the fail

thats the most likely outcome moving forward.

That is fascinating. I suppose the losing team would almost always use the 4th and 10 "onside kick alternative" if they are down with just a little time left. Still need to think about how I would use it if I were coach.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

That is fascinating. I suppose the losing team would almost always use the 4th and 10 "onside kick alternative" if they are down with just a little time left. Still need to think about how I would use it if I were coach.
                            Statistics show that 4th and 10 succeeds at roughly a 17-20% rate. This is a slightly tougher straight up number to find as most places that take a look at the conversion rates are tying to points expected and weighting it based on where they are attempted from. Based on cross referencing 17-20% is the range I can find.

Stats also show that expected onside kick situations are successful about 19.7% of the time. Surprise onside kicks work about 60% of the time. 2016 had just 8 total successful onside kicks - surprise and expected. No kicker more than 1. 2015 had 9 with the now retired Pat McAfee having a third of them.

Statistically speaking it's the same percentage play - and takes out the wedge-busting and line blowing up that onside kicks involve. Which is why that spring league is planning on moving forward with that set up.
                            "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                            -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

At one point, I know the rule was that you could not call for a fair catch if the kicked ball had already hit the ground.
                              Which is why onside kicks were usually kicked in such a manner that they hit the ground right away.
                              This may have been changed in recent rules revisions, I don't know.
                              This hasn't been the rule for a while now, something like 4ish years? Maybe longer.

You can now fair catch a ball that hits the ground only once, so some onside kicks are fair catch-able. Most are not. I'll see if I can dig up an article on it.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post

This hasn't been the rule for a while now, something like 4ish years? Maybe longer.

You can now fair catch a ball that hits the ground only once, so some onside kicks are fair catch-able. Most are not. I'll see if I can dig up an article on it.
                                I'd definitely like to read an article about that. Everything I've found seems to be based on the old rules.
                                In any case, it sounds like the rule changes made more fair catches possible, not fewer.
                                And the statement that "you can't fair catch an onside kick" seems to imply that it being an onside kick is the reason it can't be fair caught, which isn't true.

Comment

Working...
                                X