WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Game

Well not much of a show, the one thing I would say is that the Sullivan kid out of Clinton needs a fair shot at winning the starting spot in a year. I get that he is 5’11” 187 but he is accurate.

My other observation is that the defense will be deeper I think and we will have a few JUCO kids contribute.

Called Johnny having the ability to compete for the job after Eli. Kid has “it” and great arm talent.

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
      Well not much of a show, the one thing I would say is that the Sullivan kid out of Clinton needs a fair shot at winning the starting spot in a year. I get that he is 5’11” 187 but he is accurate.

My other observation is that the defense will be deeper I think and we will have a few JUCO kids contribute.
      I think Sullivan is 6’1 now. He definitely seems like he could get in a Rythm if he got more opportunity, Keller seemed confident , and good on the short dumps but any routes past 12 yards he has trouble.. Definitely all around struggles on O, some bright spots on D!
      Last edited by Purpledog; 04-27-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

The Bohr kid...#81...had a good game. Keller can really snap a throw and is mobile, but air-mailed most the long balls. Sullivan is accurate as expected and moves well also.

Soko is a quick back. Can do some damage on the edge.

Interesting they were playing Suni Lane at that nickel LB spot.

​​​​​​
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Keller having zip on short passes but lacking accuracy on a deeper ball is exactly my concern when we had coming out. That’s pretty typical of guys who have relied on athletic ability.

Until I see significant reason to shift my opinion (understanding I don’t see practices) I’d like a QB like Johnny follow Eli.

Comment

I think the McElvain kid from Lincoln will get in the mix at QB in 2019.

Comment

http://onpressrow.com/test/2018/04/3...-tavern-grill/

Did I miss something from watching the game? In his recap Farley said the QB that “stood out to me” was Keller” ...”he can pass” , I know Keller was one of Farley’s top recruits and so he is strongly vested in him,, but it sure sounds like he is setting up for Keller to be the back up next season and possibly a future offense with not much of a downfield passing game.
              Last edited by Purpledog; 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Purpledog View Post

Did I miss something from watching the game? In his recap Farley said the QB that “stood out to me” was Keller” ...”he can pass” , I know Keller was one of Farley’s top recruits and so he is strongly vested in him,, but it sure sounds like he is setting up for Keller to be the back up next season and possibly a future offense with not much of a downfield passing game.
                Are you shocked by that? Keller is Bailey, Rnnie and Carnes part 4 in many ways. He will keep going to that well no matter how many times it results in buckets of nothing.

Maybe Keller is the one that finally hits. Maybe.

It

Comment

Originally posted by Purpledog View Post

Yeah I think Johnny Sullivan deserved a mention with his good numbers and that sweet fade ball he threw late for the TD.

Comment

Why do our centers still struggle to make shotgun snaps? I guess better low than over the QB's head. Just an observation from the game.

Comment

Well Eli should be able to toss it next year and the D looks like it will be tough for the next few years so things are bright for next year.

In addition to the fade I was pretty excited with that pretty touch down the seam! Looked at replay from KWWL Cedar Falls and Johnny S hit Holtzman with a guy covering him and safety closing, in perfect stride which helped him break away, And he had great patience and movement in the pocket, not bailing to soon like the others. I would really love to see that type of QB that can carve it up on Saturdays to compliment the D. Does anyone know if he is a PWO or on scholarship? I heard that might be why all the reps during Spring practices went to Keller and Colton, with Johnny S getting just a days worth right before the Spring game, If so , it’s pretty impressive he was able to come in cold and deliver, and more cause for concern if Keller can’t hit guys downfield with all of that practice time. Keller does look the part tho, so if he is picked to be the guy hopefully they can work with him and continue to groom him to become a better pocket passer and decision maker. But I’m still enamored with that precision Fade by Johnny S for the TD, toughest pass to make.
                      Last edited by Purpledog; 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Johnny is a PWO. I wouldn’t be shocked if Farley is holding reps away from him. That kids arm talent is unreal. I’ll take arm talent and meh athletic ability over....well we’ve seen Carnes Bailey and Rennie.

If Keller is the next in line I really hope he develops the arm talent more. We’ve had far too many missed throws by QBs who just didn’t have “it” in the passing game while guys with it sat in the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                          Johnny is a PWO. I wouldn’t be shocked if Farley is holding reps away from him. That kids arm talent is unreal. I’ll take arm talent and meh athletic ability over....well we’ve seen Carnes Bailey and Rennie.

If Keller is the next in line I really hope he develops the arm talent more. We’ve had far too many missed throws by QBs who just didn’t have “it” in the passing game while guys with it sat in the bench.
                          Clenz, what your thoughts bout the D? I think we have a few good years ahead of us, but I’m offensive minded, having a QB who can put it on the money in tight coverage is key to keeping the ball moving. Keller’s Hudl showed what he did Saturday, bail out too soon, sure he hit those short wheels and screens, but still not showing a downfield threat. I was surprised at the size of Johnny S at the game, plus he hung in the pocket and took a shot and still completed it. That’s too bad then being a PWO, I know coaches want their picks to succeed but going 6-9 and driving for the only two TD’s gave some excitement ,, something that could bring in more fans..and Wins
                          Last edited by Purpledog; 05-04-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Harris needs to put a clause in Farley’s contract that as head coach at UNI he has absolutely no say in who the starting quarterback is. If he thought Keller was the quarterback that shined during the spring game then he is either blind or just stupid. What I saw from Keller was a slower version of Rennie with the same amount of missed easy completions.

Comment

I was surprised we didn't see Wegher (Sioux City, IMG Academy in Florida, Purdue) in the backfield. I realize the Spring Game is typically to solidify back-ups and depth, but since he is new to the team I was expecting him to get some carries, unless he was dinged up and held out for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X