WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNIdad
    replied
    Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
    Harris needs to put a clause in Farley’s contract that as head coach at UNI he has absolutely no say in who the starting quarterback is. If he thought Keller was the quarterback that shined during the spring game then he is either blind or just stupid. What I saw from Keller was a slower version of Rennie with the same amount of missed easy completions.

I love your analysis and way with words!

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Christian Ellsworth = Reggie Schulte

Leave a comment:

• Blue42
    replied
    Ellsworth has been working out with TEs in the latter part of spring ball.

Leave a comment:

• Purpledog
    replied
    We have talent at WR and TE for next fall. Shouldnt go wasted with Eli. Just worry if he goes down, Neither Colton or Keller could come close to a receiver downfield and you can only run screens and safe short wheel routes over and over before the O becomes one dimensional, and then the D is on the field too long as a result. Colton did good last year, so maybe he just had a bad day, but I agree with Clenz, I looked at Keller hudl again, great athlete not great at QB, and Keller was a focus for Farley in the fall and took reps all during Spring, so I am not sure that Keller can learn accuracy at this point of his career, 11-21 not great even for a practice, and most of those completed were short passes and screens, passes any QB should easily make at this level. I did go back and look at Sullivan’s hudl again too, he did deliver strike after strike despite much of the time under pressure. Would be fun to see what a kid like that could do with protection, or even another opportunity. I was pretty concerned about his size coming out but he looked taller than Colton during the game and was able absorb some shots. And Who knows, maybe Bond will assert himself and make the QB call over Farley. In his book “ Developing a Championship Quarterback” the number one crucial thing a good QB has to be is accurate, being able to put the ball when and where he wants it consistently, And then the “intangibles”, the ability to feel and see the entire field. Eli should deliver so I’m excited for Fall to come! but I don’t want to go backwards with the O after him, I’m sure Bond doesn’t agree with Farley’s assesment of who shined and were productive with the O from the Spring game?? Any other QBs coming in that are true passers? And What about the kid from Nebraska? Ellsworth? He got no action Spring game? I re visited his hudl too, looked decent, but Anyone know?
    Last edited by Purpledog; 05-06-2018, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SteinPizza
    replied
    Originally posted by clenz View Post
    Johnny is a PWO. I wouldn’t be shocked if Farley is holding reps away from him. That kids arm talent is unreal. I’ll take arm talent and meh athletic ability over....well we’ve seen Carnes Bailey and Rennie.

If Keller is the next in line I really hope he develops the arm talent more. We’ve had far too many missed throws by QBs who just didn’t have “it” in the passing game while guys with it sat in the bench.
    Not to mention completely wasted talent at WR. If I’m LeMaster and especially Vereen, I’m pissed.

Leave a comment:

• clenz
    replied
    Originally posted by Purpledog View Post

Clenz, what your thoughts bout the D? I think we have a few good years ahead of us, but I’m offensive minded, having a QB who can put it on the money in tight coverage is key to keeping the ball moving. Keller’s Hudl showed what he did Saturday, bail out too soon, sure he hit those short wheels and screens, but still not showing a downfield threat. I was surprised at the size of Johnny S at the game, plus he hung in the pocket and took a shot and still completed it. That’s too bad then being a PWO, I know coaches want their picks to succeed but going 6-9 and driving for the only two TD’s gave some excitement ,, something that could bring in more fans..and Wins
    The next time I actually worry about the defense will be the first time. The Poly game last year sucked but that was issues that were easily fixed. UNI fans expectation of what is a good defensive season and a bad defensive season needs some understanding compared to most of the country. Our level of expectation is so high that even still above average is seen as bad. The defense will also be helped by a strong offense. Can't have the defense on the field 35-40 minutes a game like has happened much of the last 5 years or so.

Keller, if you remember Farley talking about him after he signed - either in print or OPR - said that Keller was target number 1 from day number 1 for that class. He was their first offer, their first phone call, first in home, everything. The way he described it was like him waiting outside of Keller's house at 11:59 waiting for the clock to hit midnight so he could "legally" do his in home visit. They held extra rides after signing day for him. Keller will get probably 50 shots at failure before a guy like Johnny gets 1. That's part of the nature of scholarship vs walk-on. However, it's even more magnified because Keller was the #1 priority and the level of time was put into landing him that was.

Everything I've heard out of practice last year - and spring this year - confirm what I expressed concerns about when he was signed. He was a D1 basketball recruit. He's very athletic. It wasn't that he was an option guy in high school but he never developed "true QB arm talent" because he never had too. Any time he felt any pressure, real or imagined, he bailed out of the pocket. His internal clock is twice as fast as a passing QB and his pressure scale is twice as sensitive. That was clear on his highlight films - the little that was actually out there. His passing numbers from a completion stand point weren't what you want to see out of a HS QB that is the apparent next in line signing. He was at like 56% in HS, IIRC. What's the knock on a guy like Josh Allen that many scouts and experts really worry about him at the next level? Accuracy and completion % because he was at 56%, Real strong arm, doesn't understand how to control it. That sounds a lot like Keller....and Bailey. Rennie and Carnes did not have strong arms nor could they control it real well. Rennie is a bit of a different issue than Bailey and Carnes in that he was a relatively good passer actually, he was just asked to make a ton of throws he couldn't 20-25+ yards down field to 5'8 WRs Collins and Herring.

I got ripped for my take on signing day last year and I said I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he becomes a great passer and hits on 64% of his passes with enough mobility to make a few plays when needed. Had Johnny been bigger coming out of HS he would have had offers. The problem is he looked like he was 10 when he was a senior. It's nice to hear people saying his grown and looks bigger. That may help him. Watch his Hudl tapes. Ball is out quick, tight spiral and is never had to be reached for. Short routes always in numbers. Deeper routes are always in stride and right in an easy basket area for the WR to take in.Hell, go find his tape from when he was like 12 doing Dude Perfect style trick shots and landing a football in a garbage can from 50 yards away and 3 stories high. Then try to find any tape you can on Keller and compare. Keller certainly looks more like a D1 player. He has a stronger arm. He just doesn't seem to have "it" when it comes to arm talent compared to what I'd like to see at QB - Eric Sanders, Pat Grace, Sawyer Kollmorgen and Eli Dunne.

I said before and I'll say again - I'm holding past experiences, as a UNI fan, against him. That isn't fair to him so I'm going to wait until he sees the field full time for more than just a couple games before I start to actually worry. It's just hard because he's so much like Bailey, Carnes and Rennie to not go "Oh boy...here we go again. Farley falls in love with a kid that can make a throwing motion with the ball in his hand but looks really good scrambling around the backfield." It's not fair to him to automatically assume that is what he is and will be. It's just real tough to assume differently when you see guys like Eli and Sawyer (pre-concussions) make the offense click like it does with them on the field comapred to what Farley tries to turn this team into with other QBs. The worst thing to happen is he saw Tracy Hamm in person in the 80s and then saw Ritchie Williams in person and then what Armanti Edwards did after that at App State. He loves the idea of Mike Vick, Armanti Edwards, Pat White, Cam Newton. The problem is, for every one of those there are 10 Brion Carnes and Aaron Bailey. Outside of a random stroke of luck in landing Edwards gusy like Newton, Vick, White, etc. don't end up at schools like UNI. I don't mind a QB that can move to compliment his passing. I want no part of a QB that tries to pass to compliment his running.
    Last edited by clenz; 05-05-2018, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BCPanther
    replied
    Wegher was held out. No injury. Just no need to risk something when you already know what you've got. He'll be on the field a ton this fall.

Leave a comment:

• Panther AC
    replied
    I was surprised we didn't see Wegher (Sioux City, IMG Academy in Florida, Purdue) in the backfield. I realize the Spring Game is typically to solidify back-ups and depth, but since he is new to the team I was expecting him to get some carries, unless he was dinged up and held out for that reason.

Leave a comment:

• achrist70
    replied
    Harris needs to put a clause in Farley’s contract that as head coach at UNI he has absolutely no say in who the starting quarterback is. If he thought Keller was the quarterback that shined during the spring game then he is either blind or just stupid. What I saw from Keller was a slower version of Rennie with the same amount of missed easy completions.

Leave a comment:

• Purpledog
    replied
    Originally posted by clenz View Post
    Johnny is a PWO. I wouldn’t be shocked if Farley is holding reps away from him. That kids arm talent is unreal. I’ll take arm talent and meh athletic ability over....well we’ve seen Carnes Bailey and Rennie.

If Keller is the next in line I really hope he develops the arm talent more. We’ve had far too many missed throws by QBs who just didn’t have “it” in the passing game while guys with it sat in the bench.
    Clenz, what your thoughts bout the D? I think we have a few good years ahead of us, but I’m offensive minded, having a QB who can put it on the money in tight coverage is key to keeping the ball moving. Keller’s Hudl showed what he did Saturday, bail out too soon, sure he hit those short wheels and screens, but still not showing a downfield threat. I was surprised at the size of Johnny S at the game, plus he hung in the pocket and took a shot and still completed it. That’s too bad then being a PWO, I know coaches want their picks to succeed but going 6-9 and driving for the only two TD’s gave some excitement ,, something that could bring in more fans..and Wins
    Last edited by Purpledog; 05-04-2018, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• clenz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Purpledog
    replied
    Well Eli should be able to toss it next year and the D looks like it will be tough for the next few years so things are bright for next year.

In addition to the fade I was pretty excited with that pretty touch down the seam! Looked at replay from KWWL Cedar Falls and Johnny S hit Holtzman with a guy covering him and safety closing, in perfect stride which helped him break away, And he had great patience and movement in the pocket, not bailing to soon like the others. I would really love to see that type of QB that can carve it up on Saturdays to compliment the D. Does anyone know if he is a PWO or on scholarship? I heard that might be why all the reps during Spring practices went to Keller and Colton, with Johnny S getting just a days worth right before the Spring game, If so , it’s pretty impressive he was able to come in cold and deliver, and more cause for concern if Keller can’t hit guys downfield with all of that practice time. Keller does look the part tho, so if he is picked to be the guy hopefully they can work with him and continue to groom him to become a better pocket passer and decision maker. But I’m still enamored with that precision Fade by Johnny S for the TD, toughest pass to make.
    Last edited by Purpledog; 05-04-2018, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• alleycat
    replied
    Why do our centers still struggle to make shotgun snaps? I guess better low than over the QB's head. Just an observation from the game.

Leave a comment:

• Blue42
    replied
    http://onpressrow.com/test/2018/04/3...-tavern-grill/

Did I miss something from watching the game? In his recap Farley said the QB that “stood out to me” was Keller” ...”he can pass” , I know Keller was one of Farley’s top recruits and so he is strongly vested in him,, but it sure sounds like he is setting up for Keller to be the back up next season and possibly a future offense with not much of a downfield passing game.
    Yeah I think Johnny Sullivan deserved a mention with his good numbers and that sweet fade ball he threw late for the TD.

Leave a comment:

• clenz
    replied
    http://onpressrow.com/test/2018/04/3...-tavern-grill/

Did I miss something from watching the game? In his recap Farley said the QB that “stood out to me” was Keller” ...”he can pass” , I know Keller was one of Farley’s top recruits and so he is strongly vested in him,, but it sure sounds like he is setting up for Keller to be the back up next season and possibly a future offense with not much of a downfield passing game.
    Are you shocked by that? Keller is Bailey, Rnnie and Carnes part 4 in many ways. He will keep going to that well no matter how many times it results in buckets of nothing.

Maybe Keller is the one that finally hits. Maybe.

It

Leave a comment:

Working...
X