WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Redshirt Rule for Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Redshirt Rule for Football

Players can now still redshirt if they play 4 or fewer games.

College athletes competing in Division I football can participate in up to four games in a season without using a season of competition, the Division I Council decided this week at its meeting in Indianapolis.

coaches will find ways to "game" that rule to their best advantage, but I do like it, especially for situations where someone gets injured early in the season after playing in a game or two, or in situations where someone is hurt late in the season, and a younger player (who hadn't been playing) has to step in (always hated seeing them have to "burn the redshirt" for only like a half a game just because of injury.

Comment

Poor Colton Howell. Born 3 years too early.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
        Poor Colton Howell. Born 3 years too early.
        Isn't this very good for him?

I definitely get what you are saying and I haven't read all the details so maybe its just incoming players. But otherwise now he can still be the backup, fill in a couple games and still redshirt. Right? Wishful thinking maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post

Isn't this very good for him?

I definitely get what you are saying and I haven't read all the details so maybe its just incoming players. But otherwise now he can still be the backup, fill in a couple games and still redshirt. Right? Wishful thinking maybe.
          I haven't seen anything that limits this to incoming players, so I believe you're right. If Dunne stays healthy and Howell plays less than four games, he should get another year.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post

I haven't seen anything that limits this to incoming players, so I believe you're right. If Dunne stays healthy and Howell plays less than four games, he should get another year.
            I would imagine something along the lines of the following conversation occurs..

You are the backup QB this year and that is absolutely first priority but you are also on pace to be the starter next year. so you may not get the garbage time snaps in hopes of retaining eligibility unless Dunne is hurt.

Hopefully Colton would be on board with this.

Comment

Can't link it but did hear on a podcast today that this only applies to new signees. Nobody is getting an extra year back and if you're already on campus you're bound by the old rule.

Would open a giant, ugly can of worms to make this retroactive.
              #MACtion

Comment

Are we even sure Colton is going to be the 2nd string back up this coming season?

Comment

Can't link it but did hear on a podcast today that this only applies to new signees. Nobody is getting an extra year back and if you're already on campus you're bound by the old rule.

Would open a giant, ugly can of worms to make this retroactive.
                  Which podcast was it? I understand not allowing it retroactively, but I don't see why current players wouldn't be able to use it in future years.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post

Which podcast was it? I understand not allowing it retroactively, but I don't see why current players wouldn't be able to use it in future years.
                    Found a link. Here it is. Only for players that start competition in the 2018-19 school year and beyond.

#MACtion

Comment

Found a link. Here it is. Only for players that start competition in the 2018-19 school year and beyond.

http://footballscoop.com/news/new-re...e-passed-ncaa/
                      Thanks. Figured that was a distinct possibility,

Regardless, if they think Colton is our best option next year and "IF" Eli doesn't get hurt. I could see them having a red shirt discussion.

Comment

Can you redshirt, “voluntarily” as a senior? I know you can’t transfer as a senior, redshirt and then play. I’m not sure he could redshirt?

I’m also not sure I see the value in it. I’d rather run with Sullivan, Ellsworth or Keller with multiple years as a starter to build on than usuing Howell for a single year only to burn yet another year of eligibility for all of them and putting the ability to use a QB for more than 2 years even further out of reach.

I haven’t seen, or heard, anything out games/practices that makes me go “he’s well above the others”. I’d argue I’ve seen/heard the opposite. He started at ISUb in place of Dunne because the other option was Schulte - who we’ve seen was never meant to see the field while on campus - or the injured and mentally checked out Bailey. We ended up having Weymiller taking nearly twice as many snaps at QB than Howell in that game. last season he played to save the RS on Sullivan and Keller.

I get from a depth play in 19 it could be an option but this is another year of him getting jerked around with the will i or won’t I play.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, but I still don't see where it says a guy like Howell couldn't use the new rule to get a redshirt this year. When it say's "Not Retroactive," doesn't that just mean he can't use one of the past two years as his redshirt?

Either way, we (the school, not us fans) should get clarification from the NCAA before making any plans.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                            coaches will find ways to "game" that rule to their best advantage, but I do like it, especially for situations where someone gets injured early in the season after playing in a game or two, or in situations where someone is hurt late in the season, and a younger player (who hadn't been playing) has to step in (always hated seeing them have to "burn the redshirt" for only like a half a game just because of injury.
                            I know we all think of Colton when it comes to this rule. However, am I remembering this correctly that something similar to this happened with one of Farley's boys? Also, any other examples in recent times of this happening in UNI program.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                              Can you redshirt, “voluntarily” as a senior? I know you can’t transfer as a senior, redshirt and then play. I’m not sure he could redshirt?

I’m also not sure I see the value in it. I’d rather run with Sullivan, Ellsworth or Keller with multiple years as a starter to build on than usuing Howell for a single year only to burn yet another year of eligibility for all of them and putting the ability to use a QB for more than 2 years even further out of reach.

I haven’t seen, or heard, anything out games/practices that makes me go “he’s well above the others”. I’d argue I’ve seen/heard the opposite. He started at ISUb in place of Dunne because the other option was Schulte - who we’ve seen was never meant to see the field while on campus - or the injured and mentally checked out Bailey. We ended up having Weymiller taking nearly twice as many snaps at QB than Howell in that game. last season he played to save the RS on Sullivan and Keller.

I get from a depth play in 19 it could be an option but this is another year of him getting jerked around with the will i or won’t I play.
                              He can redshirt. It's almost certainly not going to happen though.

Comment

Working...
                              X