WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

I could not disagree more. You take as much money as you can get, as soon as you can possibly get it. This could end in any instant, you can’t take chances of losing out completely.
    If he can get a deal in Gurley's neighborhood, I'm with you. The Cardinals are notoriously cheap with everybody not named Larry Fitzgerald and I just don't see them giving him what he's truly worth. He's this generation's Marshall Faulk and he shouldn't sign anything that doesn't compensate him that way.
    #MACtion

Comment

"yes, you should continue to play this game for another year (where there is always a not unlikely chance of incurring a major injury, possibly even career ending, especially at the RB position) with no guaranteed money, passing up the many million dollar offer that they're willing to offer now in hopes of making a little bit more if you're able to survive the year unscathed and put up impressive numbers".

Easy to say that when it isn't your (and your family's) future financial security on the line.

Comment

If that "little bit more" is 10 or 20 million dollars than yes he should pass it up and take out an insurance policy on his legs or whatever. The Cardinals already got $20 million value from him in his first two years for about a million in pay, they should be smart, appreciate the bargain they got, and pay him what he is worth going forward, which is apparently $12-15 million per year. I'm worried for him that they will low ball it and also that his agent is not who he should have, they are not a top level agency and they have no experience signing a player of his caliber. His family's financial security should be okay no matter what. His initial 4 year deal was for more than triple what most working people will earn in a lifetime.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
          "yes, you should continue to play this game for another year (where there is always a not unlikely chance of incurring a major injury, possibly even career ending, especially at the RB position) with no guaranteed money, passing up the many million dollar offer that they're willing to offer now in hopes of making a little bit more if you're able to survive the year unscathed and put up impressive numbers".

Easy to say that when it isn't your (and your family's) future financial security on the line.
          Right, he should take less than his market value and be underpaid for the prime years of his already incredibly short career. His family isn't already set with the $3.5 million he'll have made after this year.

Gonzo is right, his agent's lack of experience is concerning. I think they've already made a big misstep by reporting to camp on time. He doesn't need the early camp reps and they've taken away a ton of bargaining power.
          #MACtion

Comment

I’m sure after taxes agency fees etc, his signing Bonus of 640k won’t go very far for a young person in a typical very short career industry. Compared to the 6 million bonus M Gordon got the same year. Granted he was drafted higher, but DJ has proven he is a better more versatile NFL RB. I think they will ink a deal north of 10 million

Comment

The RB curve was rested yesterday. Bell is going big to reset it even more next year. If Arizona was smart they’d get him locked up for 12-13 a year right now.

You let Bell - a back similar to DJ - set the market for that type of back and even an average year from DJ could cost them more than that. A full heathy season, with a the QBs that Arizona has in place and DJ could get 16

Comment

I'd like to see the Steelers sign him next year after Bell goes. He'd be a great fit there. DJ offers a lot more than Bell, especially in character. I'm sure they would be willing to pay DJ more than what they offered Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                  I'd like to see the Steelers sign him next year after Bell goes. He'd be a great fit there. DJ offers a lot more than Bell, especially in character. I'm sure they would be willing to pay DJ more than what they offered Bell.
                  I agree with DJ being a fit but I believe Bell is asking for 17 mil. Steelers have Bell franchise tagged for either 14 or 15 mil. If you are a Steelers fan or not, the franchise is in the mix year after year. I think the Steelers feel uncomfortable with some of Bell's off-the-field behaviors. DJ with Big Ben (in his final seasons), AB, and Juju would be phenomenal. Plus, Tomlin has never had a losing season as the Steelers head coach.

I think at the end of the day, though, the Steelers will sign Bell. I would love to see DJ end up with a Super Bowl ring. He would have a better shot of that ring with the Steelers than Arizona.

Comment

I would love to see DJ end up with a Super Bowl ring...
                    I have long said that players will either pursue money or a ring.

Don't insist on huge $$ and let your team hire more other talent around you.
                    It's more true of a long-career player like a QB, but I would make the argument for a RB, too.

Money does not equal happiness. In fact, I bet David is happier in 25 years if he makes 1 million/yr now than if he makes big millions.

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post

It's more true of a long-career player like a QB, but I would make the argument for a RB, too.

Money does not equal happiness. In fact, I bet David is happier in 25 years if he makes 1 million/yr now than if he makes big millions.
                      You can do both $ and a ring. These guys are not average Joe workers; they have a chance to be set for life with some luck and continued productivity. Why work a regular job if you don’t have to? Very few people get that chance, and DJ or anyone else should grab it while it’s there.

Comment

Comment

I.....

huh....

I can’t even come up with something to say to this

sivert, take what you could make and purposely take 10%, at most of it. You’ll be happier in the long run because your company can use that money to hire more people or invest it in other areas. If you could make 100k, don’t take it. Only take 10k, max.

That’s what you’re suggesting DJ do. I expect you also do that.

That’s........I mean.....wow

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                            sivert, take what you could make and purposely take 10%, at most of it. You’ll be happier in the long run because your company can use that money to hire more people or invest it in other areas. If you could make 100k, don’t take it. Only take 10k, max.
                            Pro sports and "regular" businesses are apples and oranges.
                            The salary cap factors in when it comes to player salaries, meaning that if a player is alright taking less, that money that they're "giving up" will probably be used toward improving the roster elsewhere.
                            Where as in business, if you agree to less money, it generally means some corporate person gets a bigger bonus, rather than that money going to help the people that actually do the work.

Comment

Well, what I said contains two ideas. 1)Taking a lower-than-possible salary within a salary cap system and 2) the idea that too much money will bring unhappiness.
                              The applies best to QBs. Take two first round draft QBs. One negotiates for the most he can possibly get. The second takes much less, but has contract stipulations requiring a certain level of protection. He ends up with the best O Line in football. I would bet that would double (at least) the length of his career. And give him way more success, which besides being enjoyable, would give him more post-football opportunities (commentary, life insurance, copper joint sleeves).
                              I’m not saying those best-of-all-time QBs were only that successful because they deferred money. But ability is relative and...

The second point about big money and happiness is a phenomenon of huge money. It doesn’t have the same effect with smaller money. Lottery winners are uniformly unhappy. And I think there’s a 30/30 about broke ex-athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

Pro sports and "regular" businesses are apples and oranges.
                                Where as in business, if you agree to less money, it generally means some corporate person gets a bigger bonus, rather than that money going to help the people that actually do the work.
                                vb, I don't know where you have work but if they treat people like that than I would call it a toxic place. I used to work at a toxic place but now work where I am appreciated as a person and they compensate well at all levels to keep employees happy.

Returning to topic, hopefully Arizona will also compensate well to keep DJ happy. I see him getting a similar package to Gurley. DJ has passed with flying colors that he is needed for this team to succeed.

At the end of the day I agree with Sivert in that money does not equal happiness. If you follow DJ on Facebook, he looks pretty happy to me. He appears to be a man who has a happy family life and living out his dreams. The money just makes it sweeter.
                                Last edited by panthergirl123; 07-29-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X