WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Football Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clenz View Post

A few things.

1. The MVFC is wide open this year for the first time in a while. Sure, NDSU reloads. Sure you can look to moving form Bohl to Kleiman at the same time as moving from one all time QB to a kid that has no experience and go "See, losing a QB and a coach at the same time doesn't impact them." and you could be right. Here's what my counter to that is:

Bohl wasn't a great coach. NDSU was real bad with Bohl in the MVFC. I mean they went 6-5, 3-8 and 7-4 in the regular season with Bohl. Never better than 4-4 in conference play. All of a sudden Kleiman shows up and their defense reaches a level they weren't even close too before. Their recruiting all of a sudden jumps to a level it wasn't close too before. Kleiman brought an all new attitude to that staff - even as a position coach at first - that they didn't have. So moving to Kleiman was Kleiman taking over the job he was already doing. Anyone that is even remotely connected at NDSU will tell you that Bohl wasn't involved in really any part of the coaching staff at NDSU. He was the ultimate CEO coach. Delegate everything except a few things. When he left there wasn't a ton that had to change in the staff - he also didn't take many staffers with him. The other factor in that situation that is different is they were going from Jensen to Wentz. Wentz may not have had much/any experience but it was clear that he was “the real deal”. It was known he was going to be really damn good. Maybe not the level he was, but still really damn good.

They don’t have this year. Kleiman is gone. The extreme majority of the staff is gone. Entz can talk a big game, but it’s TBD if he can actually do what everyone knew Kleiman could do (Even before he took the job). They also don’t have Wentz or Stick anymore. Stick, like Wentz, was a known product out of HS. He is one of the QB misses that could have changed UNI significantly. While he was a RFr when he started it was clear what his upside was. At this point, no one has any idea what NDSU has. The though is RFr Trey Lance will get the job, but even the connected people at NDSU aren’t sure he’s ready or what they have in him, which is why they brought in Noland. Noland had a pretty good game at ISU, but like every other QB at ISU there is one good game and then they disappear after a week or two after being anointed by ISU fans as the saviors. The senior class they lost is as good of a senior class as they’ve ever had.

UNI and SDSU have more reason, as of now on paper, to expect to win the MVFC than NDSU as long as they don’t screw it up. All three will be starting brand new QBs with no experience (potentially all 3 are freshman starters.)

2. He has a staff he trusts for the first time in a while. It’s not that he didn’t trust Bond, but I’m not sure there was a great working relationship and cohesion on ideas. Mahaffey comes in as OC – after spending 5 years playing for Farley, time coaching for Farley and time as an OC for Farley. Mahaffey knows, wants, the same type of offense Farley does. Clanton wants the same OL mentality at this point. McCann has the skill guys ready every week and recruits like crazy. That trust is there. Go through the last handful of years that we see everything going wrong and we have Bond, Davis (who is Mike Leach), a Bill Salmon who was half retired while still coaching, Verduzco who was one foot out the door while coaching here.

3. His seat is as hot as it can get without him getting burned by it. This could work in the opposite direction and result in him taking tighter control, but I choose to believe (right now) that he realizes letting go of his offensive control will help save him for another tear

Interesting. However, in #2, wouldn't Farley's trust be predicated on expecting other coaches to do what he wants? That seems more like delegating than truly "handing it over." I'm particularly interested in #3 as I haven't sensed his seat being all that hot. At this stage in his career, I would be amazed if he would change his style. I'm quite intrigued by the fact that someone like you thinks it could happen (as you tend to know so much more about this stuff). It will be interesting to look for early detection signs during Spring practice.

Comment

With Coach Farley...you really won't know until Aug 31st in Ames.

Even when he brought Joe Davis in a few years ago, he got well into fall camp before pulling the plug on the spread no huddle scheme and going back to what he's always been more comfortable with.

In fact I think it was only a few weeks before they opened up with the Clones.
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
        In fact I think it was only a few weeks before they opened up with the Clones.
        IIRC, try 8 days.
        I know one of the officials who were present. It was bad, really bad.

Comment

Farley wanted to pull the plug on davis' O coming out of spring ball...but it's true it was about a week ahead of the game in Ames that it actually happened. I always felt that Davis was forced on Farley and he never wanted play that system.

I think if Farley gets a guy running the O that fits how he wants to play he may be less inclined to intervene. Or that's my hope at least.

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post

I think if Farley gets a guy running the O that fits how he wants to play he may be less inclined to intervene. Or that's my hope at least.
            Me and you both brother.
            ​​​​​​
            Hoping against hope. If he won't give the keys to this staff, then...well you know.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post

IIRC, try 8 days.
              I know one of the officials who were present. It was bad, really bad.
              That night in Grundy Center will live on forever.
              #MACtion

Comment

I saw that NDSU signed 33 players in this class. Just how much did they lose? I am counting 24 Seniors on the NDSU two deep from one of the end of the year media guides. That's out of 54 slots listed (OF/DF/Special Teams)

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  Projected game times added for road games. (NDSU plays early on Homecoming)

God knows what time we'll play our home games because the volleyball schedule isn't out yet and we know that takes priority.
                  I see what you did there ... carry on.
                  "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
                    I always felt that Davis was forced on Farley and he never wanted play that system.

Forced on Farley? But Farley hired him?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Forced on Farley? But Farley hired him?
                      Did he?

Are you sure?

I promise you that you shouldn't be sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Did he?

Are you sure?

I promise you that you shouldn't be sure about that.

Very intriguing! Particularly that he could be "forced to hire a coach," but not "forced to let that coach do what was needed." Is it essentially that in order to satisfy some power-that-be, he agreed to hire a coach that would bring a different dimension, but then changed his mind and didn't let that person bring that different dimension?

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Very intriguing! Particularly that he could be "forced to hire a coach," but not "forced to let that coach do what was needed." Is it essentially that in order to satisfy some power-that-be, he agreed to hire a coach that would bring a different dimension, but then changed his mind and didn't let that person bring that different dimension?
                          *cough* Troy 'The Tiny Man' Dannen *cough*
                          #MACtion

Comment

I by no means was "in the room where it happened" but it always felt like Troy wanted to play that "more entertaining" in vouge system and that he pushed that hire through... and if Farley couldn't control the hire, then what he could control in that power struggle was what they actually did on Saturday's.

Farely and Dannen were never really on the same page. Farley was...probably still is a Hartzell guy.

Frankly from a scheme standpoint I've personally never envisioned a Defensive minded coach (which Farley always has been, always will be) wanting to run a pass heavy, up tempo system that exposes his Defense to being on the field way too much. That is just my opinion though.

Comment

Funny part about the Farley/Joe Davis saga is the year Davis was here...2015...

Davis' offense set the all-time UNI record for rushing yards with 3,200 and had two 1,000 yard rushers.

Talk about truth being stranger than fiction.

Comment

And he made Bailey a semi competent QB and Tyvis use some of his talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X