WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread Iowa, Week 2***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to say UNI wins this game... but I can’t. I hope I am wrong. The Panthers had a chance in 09... Iowa will not let that happen again.
    Iowa 42 -UNI 13. I HATE the hawkeyes. .

Comment

I was in Iowa City last weekend. Still can't figure out why Iowa State didn't try to take advantage of WR height on under-sized and under-talented CBs. Or get the ball outside into space with quick pitches or WR screens. Time to open up the offensive play book. I was not impressed by the EIU offense, even when Iowa State punts gave them incredibly good field position.

Comment

Exactly, ISU gave Iowa the ball on the 21 and they got nothing, then gave it to them on the 28 and they got 3. Unless ISU's defense is much better than UNI's, and I've never known it to be, we should be able to keep them from scoring much. The problem for at least a half will be what it usually is, can UNI score or even get a first down?
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

If Iowa hangs more than 20 points on UNI, it's because their defense and/or special teams is scoring- not their offense. After watching our last game and Iowa vs ISU, I think UNI has plenty ability to contain Iowa's offense and limit them to 14 points or less. But ball security on offense and discipline on special teams is what will make the difference between a close loss versus a blow-out loss. My heart will always say Panthers for the W, though. Maybe this is the turning point for Farley to overcome the "mental brokenness" that Clenz has been talking about.

Comment

I want to say a Panther victory but I can't after that Montana first half. UNI can only win via their defense. Sorry but I am not confident in this offense or their special teams. I was not impressed with what I have seen of the Hawkeyes this season either. Their offense is lackluster. I predict a defensive battle. Iowa 21 UNI 14.

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post
              The night game will make it hard because the environment will be crazy. Also, we're not going to get any help from officials or calls going our way. And no I'm not making that an excuse, I just know what Farley has been told by officials during past close games in Iowa City, and I don't expect to get treated any differently this time around.
              Not making an excuse? Sure sounds like you are.

Comment

One thing I'd like to see going into the game is a smart, simple, offensive game plan. Not just run into the middle, run into the middle, then throw it down the sidelines and pray, punt. If receivers/the QB(s) drop passes or miss open guys, that's fine, I can live with mistakes, but not having a cohesive, smart game plan really grinds my gears.

Also have SMART special teams play. Take advantage of the new rules when you can. Just be better.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post
                  I was in Iowa City last weekend. Still can't figure out why Iowa State didn't try to take advantage of WR height on under-sized and under-talented CBs. Or get the ball outside into space with quick pitches or WR screens. Time to open up the offensive play book. I was not impressed by the EIU offense, even when Iowa State punts gave them incredibly good field position.
                  I was there too, and wondered the same thing. One thing you’re forgetting though, Iowa’s D Line is SOLID. ISU’s QBs didn’t have much time, and they also had a hard time running. UNI’s O Line will need to play extremely well. Iowa St’s O Line could be their Achilles Heal all year if they don’t get some things fixed. Their left tackle had a rough day.

Iowa St also got sucked in to playing Iowa’s slow tempo. They’ve should’ve sped up the game in an effort to take or set up some shots down the field.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post
                    One thing I'd like to see going into the game is a smart, simple, offensive game plan. Not just run into the middle, run into the middle, then throw it down the sidelines and pray, punt. If receivers/the QB(s) drop passes or miss open guys, that's fine, I can live with mistakes, but not having a cohesive, smart game plan really grinds my gears.

Also have SMART special teams play. Take advantage of the new rules when you can. Just be better.
                    Has UNI ever not been run run pass run run run pass pass run run pass and then hopefully avoid a punt somewhere in there?
                    GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

I was there too, and wondered the same thing. One thing you’re forgetting though, Iowa’s D Line is SOLID. ISU’s QBs didn’t have much time, and they also had a hard time running. UNI’s O Line will need to play extremely well. Iowa St’s O Line could be their Achilles Heal all year if they don’t get some things fixed. Their left tackle had a rough day.

Iowa St also got sucked in to playing Iowa’s slow tempo. They’ve should’ve sped up the game in an effort to take or set up some shots down the field.
                      Agree we can't play a methodical game vs Iowa.

Gotta go up tempo most if not all day.

Don't let them get set. Limit subs. Make them react to what we're doing.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post

Stanley shouldn't have to throw it much but I get the feeling they're going to throw it a lot. They have a lot of kinks to work out and why not do it against UNI?
                        This is correct. Iowa is in desperate need of confidence in and from their WRs. They flat out need to find a way to push the ball downfield to someone other than a TE. They’ll do all they can to get a WR or two to make plays to give them a boost heading in to B1G play, and get the fans off their back. That’s not running up a score, just smart. We’ll need D lineman to pressure Stanley. Ricky Neal will need to have a good game.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Agree we can't play a methodical game vs Iowa.

Gotta go up tempo most if not all day.

Don't let them get set. Limit subs. Make them react to what we're doing.
                          Good idea. That way we can go 3 and out quicker and make sure the defense is on the field more.
                          #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                            Exactly, ISU gave Iowa the ball on the 21 and they got nothing, then gave it to them on the 28 and they got 3. Unless ISU's defense is much better than UNI's, and I've never known it to be, we should be able to keep them from scoring much. The problem for at least a half will be what it usually is, can UNI score or even get a first down?
                            I normally just read the comments on these forums to find out about the other team's impact players and what not. This is the first time I have made an account and it is literally just to call out this statement: "[u]nless ISU's defense is much better than UNI's, and I've never known it to be." I hate defending the Cyclowns, but this has got to be a joke. ISU is a power five school who went into Norman last year and upset OU. Mike Rose alone is better than anyone on the UNI defense (who gave up 26 points in the 1st half to FCS Montana).

UNI has beaten ISU a lot recently and that is awesome (in fact since 2013 UNI has beaten ISU more times than ISU has beaten Iowa), but there isn't a year, not even the years when UNI won, in which ISU doesn't have a better defense, and an overall better team, than UNI.

Its good to have faith in your team, but come on! Please don't ever make me have to defend ISU. Good luck this week and throughout the season! I look forward to the State Championship game.
                            Wait, is it week 2? Or week 3? You know what, who cares. I see a path to victory here. It's narrow, twisted, there's a cliff like a foot off the path to the right and quicksand half a foot to the left, and full of dark creatures in the night (get it,

Comment

Honestly can’t think of a game I have looked forward to less than this one in the last 10-15 years. In all of the absolute toughest games we have played the last 10+ years (Iowa, Wisc, BYU, Montana, NDSU, etc) I could always evision a way for us to win the game. And a lot of those games were close and we actually did have our chances to win many of those games. Just don’t see it this week.

Its going to be an ugly week of talk and probably not a fun Saturday.
                              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceofReason2018 View Post

I normally just read the comments on these forums to find out about the other team's impact players and what not. This is the first time I have made an account and it is literally just to call out this statement: "[u]nless ISU's defense is much better than UNI's, and I've never known it to be." I hate defending the Cyclowns, but this has got to be a joke. ISU is a power five school who went into Norman last year and upset OU. Mike Rose alone is better than anyone on the UNI defense (who gave up 26 points in the 1st half to FCS Montana).

UNI has beaten ISU a lot recently and that is awesome (in fact since 2013 UNI has beaten ISU more times than ISU has beaten Iowa), but there isn't a year, not even the years when UNI won, in which ISU doesn't have a better defense, and an overall better team, than UNI.

Its good to have faith in your team, but come on! Please don't ever make me have to defend ISU. Good luck this week and throughout the season! I look forward to the State Championship game.
                                Um, you are absolutely wrong here. There have been multiple occasions where UNI has had better, more talented units and teams than ISU. And the results of the games (UNI winning on the road), and the players represented in the NFL from each if the programs would reflect that.
                                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Working...
                                X