WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread Iowa, Week 2***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Game Thread Iowa, Week 2***

Wait, is it week 2? Or week 3? You know what, who cares.

I see a path to victory here. It's narrow, twisted, there's a cliff like a foot off the path to the right and quicksand half a foot to the left, and full of dark creatures in the night (get it, because the game is at night?) but damn it, I can see it.

Iowa's offense is not great. They're number one running back is injured, their TE's can't run block like they want, Stanley can be inaccurate at times, their wide receiving corps isn't great, and their offensive line will be great someday, but they're not *quite* there yet.

Iowa's defense is...well, they're not great yet, but damn if they're not very, very good. Hopefully the offense can do something to neutralize Iowa's defensive line and get to the younger linebackers. And hopefully they just double team AJ Epenesa all game.

Iowa's special teams is good. Rastetter is punting a lot better than he did last year. Their field goal kicker isn't as good as Iowa has had in the past, so lets hope he has a couple more misses in him.

If, IF, UNI's defense can play the entire game, and keep Iowa around, say, 10 points, then maybe *MAYBE* there's a chance. UNI's offense is going to have to not get blown up every single time they touch the ball though. Iowa's defensive line is terrifying right now. Please watch the Iowa/ISU game and learn from ISU's mistakes - don't try to run the ball up the middle over and over and over again.

The Iowa/ISU game was great for UNI. Iowa gets the win, now they're looking forward to Wisconsin, which they are definitely looking forward to, don't let them tell you different. This game is a chance for them to try new things, new people at different positions, etc. UNI has to take advantage when they can.

Like so many recent games against Iowa I think UNI gets the opening score/lead, maybe even lead at half. But then Iowa gets yelled at in the locker room and they play better in the second half. I think Iowa ultimately comes away with the win, 24-10. Not sure how UNI gets 10 points, but I think somehow they do.

Heart says 12-10 on a last second field goal to exorcise those demons. Because why not and this is a message board after all.

I'll also set the over/under for UNI delay of game penalties at 2.5. I'm taking the over

Also, yes, I care about this game more than any other.

I hope the team doesn't, but I do

Comment

21+ point loss.

Comment

The night game will make it hard because the environment will be crazy. Also, we're not going to get any help from officials or calls going our way. And no I'm not making that an excuse, I just know what Farley has been told by officials during past close games in Iowa City, and I don't expect to get treated any differently this time around.
        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

You forgot the rattlesnakes hanging from the trees... 😉. Their offense is having it's issues, no separation by wideouts, Stanley looks really tentative...they will be focusing on offensive production I'm sure.

I'm really at a loss as to UNI's offensive potential/focus. I hope for a respectable outcome within 17 or so, no major injuries and the university cashing the check with no issues...

Comment

I really struggle to see how we even keep this close. That defense in Iowa City is legit and the things that Hesse and Epanesa are going to do Cal Twait should be giving him nightmares already. Iowa's offensive line is also legit and probably neutralizes our biggest strength. Stanley isn't going to have to throw it much.

If this was a sleepy 11 AM, week one kick with a late arriving crowd and stale atmosphere, I'd say we play with them for 2 1/2 quarters before wearing down. But Kinnick at night is a real thing and throw in a celebration of the Wave and, well, bad things happen. Ferentz will never, ever run it up against us but this one should be a pretty convincing Hawk win. A UNI garbage time TD makes it look closer that it really was.

Iowa 38
            UNI 10
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              I really struggle to see how we even keep this close. That defense in Iowa City is legit and the things that Hesse and Epanesa are going to do Cal Twait should be giving him nightmares already. Iowa's offensive line is also legit and probably neutralizes our biggest strength. Stanley isn't going to have to throw it much.

If this was a sleepy 11 AM, week one kick with a late arriving crowd and stale atmosphere, I'd say we play with them for 2 1/2 quarters before wearing down. But Kinnick at night is a real thing and throw in a celebration of the Wave and, well, bad things happen. Ferentz will never, ever run it up against us but this one should be a pretty convincing Hawk win. A UNI garbage time TD makes it look closer that it really was.

Iowa 38
              UNI 10
              Stanley shouldn't have to throw it much but I get the feeling they're going to throw it a lot. They have a lot of kinks to work out and why not do it against UNI?

Comment

Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post

Stanley shouldn't have to throw it much but I get the feeling they're going to throw it a lot. They have a lot of kinks to work out and why not do it against UNI?
                I can totally see that. He's going to have to be at least competent to beat Wisky the following week, so you may have a valid point there.
                #MACtion

Comment

Iowa is gonna run zone for about 10 yards a pop. Then bootleg off if it and complete passes to the TE and FBs for 20 yards every time. Hopefully UNI will get one first down in the first half. Ferentz won't run up the score, but this game isn't going to be close.

Comment

Farley's presser: not great bob.

Basically Iowa is a really good team, the best, probably, that he's seen.

Only one question about Iowa/UNI from 2009.

Might see two quarterbacks on Saturday.

More praise for Iowa.

Comment

There have been several years when I thought we matched up well with them, and thought we'd have won if the game(s) were played in late Sept. or early Oct., given Ferentz's teams tendencies to be flat early. This year is not one of those.

Comment

Feel like it's Iowa by 3 scores... probably a low scoring affair...some wher in the 20's to uni scoring less than 10. What i really want is to see Eli throw the ball accurately, protect the football and for UNI to come out injury free...and ready to hang it on Hampton and get on a run for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
                          There have been several years when I thought we matched up well with them, and thought we'd have won if the game(s) were played in late Sept. or early Oct., given Ferentz's teams tendencies to be flat early. This year is not one of those.
                          I legit thought that UNI was going to win in 2012. After what UNI did at Wisconsin and how bad Iowa looked against Iowa State the week before. Then the Panthers came out and drove the field on the opening drive and I was pumped.

Well, yeah. I've been wrong before.

Comment

If we play like the second half of the Montana game and Iowa plays like the ISU game, there is no reason we can't win this. We probably won't and they probably won't, so Iowa wins 24-10. Ferentz would absolutely run it up on UNI if he could, but he hasn't been able to in a long time, he's been lucky just to get the W against us.
                            GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Given that Farely's view is that you can take away the run or the pass on defense - one would guess that he would concentrate stopping the run, right? That is given Iowa's to here to weak air attack.

Comment

Working...
                              X