WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread Iowa, Week 2***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    My thing is that we don't need to schedule hard. Like, sure, schedule the game against an FBS school, get that fat 500k from Iowa/ISU. But then play the schmuck teams. Because yes, it's a lot easier to sell a crowd on a 2-1 team than a 0-2 team. Doesn't matter who they played to get there, the MVFC is strong enough that a positive record will be good enough to get into the playoffs.

I saw someone suggest this, don't remember who, but their idea was to hardly leave the state of Iowa. Play at Iowa/ISU, host/go to Drake, have a low tier FCS/D=II buy game at home. That'd be great. It's neat to have the quality home and homes, but it's not like that many more people would show up for Cal Poly/Eastern Washington than they would for Upper Iowa.
    This. I don't think any of the other MVFC schools schedule hard early, and they get a lot more home games before the conference begins. Save the tough FCS games like Cal Poly / Eastern Washington / Montana types when we host them in the playoffs . Crowd size would be a lot bigger in the post season than pre-conference.

Comment

My thing is that we don't need to schedule hard. Like, sure, schedule the game against an FBS school, get that fat 500k from Iowa/ISU. But then play the schmuck teams. Because yes, it's a lot easier to sell a crowd on a 2-1 team than a 0-2 team. Doesn't matter who they played to get there, the MVFC is strong enough that a positive record will be good enough to get into the playoffs.

I saw someone suggest this, don't remember who, but their idea was to hardly leave the state of Iowa. Play at Iowa/ISU, host/go to Drake, have a low tier FCS/D=II buy game at home. That'd be great. It's neat to have the quality home and homes, but it's not like that many more people would show up for Cal Poly/Eastern Washington than they would for Upper Iowa.
      A DII game is the last thing we want. It does nothing to help you get to the 7 DI wins you're gonna need to get in the playoffs.

We're better off playing good FCS teams and winning every other year than playing a DII game. A DII game is essentially a loss on the schedule...regardless of the outcome.
      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• We have up so many Yards tonight, I think the second pizza will be more expensive than the first

Comment

• 2013: the last time we were 5 games into the season with a winning record. Agreed to all of the above about early season scheduling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

A DII game is the last thing we want. It does nothing to help you get to the 7 DI wins you're gonna need to get in the playoffs.

We're better off playing good FCS teams and winning every other year than playing a DII game. A DII game is essentially a loss on the schedule...regardless of the outcome.
            Didn't realize that, thought that DII counted and DIII is when it didn't. My point still stands, we don't need to play playoff teams in the non-con, we're gonna play four of them at least in MVFC play. Schedule some schmoes. We don't have a first half with 60 yards, and goofed around with a second quarterback taking over for half a game each. Basically treating the first two games as tune up games and losing, instead of playing actual tune up games and getting easy wins. Sure, Eli looks good now, would've been better to see him get it all out of his system at home and against a team that we could win without passing against.

And if not for actually making the football team better, think of the fans/sources of income for the school, it's a hell of a lot easier to sell 2-1 compared to 0-2.
            Last edited by sevelev711; 09-15-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Why start a running QB against a team that is great against the run? The DBs for iowa is the weak part of the defense... throw, throw, throw. 20 yards in the first half... WTF.

Comment

• Originally posted by havok58 View Post

I just shake my head when it comes to the cedar valley not embracing the Panthers. I get that the majority are hawk fans, but for the most part it’s fun to go to and watch the games. Maybe UNI isn’t doing to get new fans in the area. Maybe they tried and the local interest isn’t there. Either way, why not keep reaching out till you find your fan base, and in this case it may be the Des Moines area.
                I live in the Cedar Valley, grew up in the Cedar Valley. I, and many of my friends considered ourselves casual Panther fans. Like you say, it is fun to go and watch Panther games. They were a fun and more convenient 2nd option for me. I typically went to 1 football game a year at the dome, maybe a basketball game every few years throughout the 80's and 90's. I stopped going around the year 2000 because I started taking a lot of crap about being a "dual fan". I've heard the argument both ways. A more passionate fan base will mean higher attendance vs A more welcoming fan base will mean higher attendance. I'm not sure what the right answer is. I still follow the Panthers and consider myself a fan. But I stopped going to any sporting events in Cedar Falls due to attitudes I got from people.

I do think we have more passionate Panther fans now than 20-30 years ago, which is good. But I do know many in the Cedar Valley that no longer consider spending a day up in Cedar Falls taking in a Panther game.

Comment

• From Farley's post game comments, he seemed surprised our O and D lines didn't match up better with Iowa's. That might have guided his thinking starting Howell.

Also, I'm wondering if Farley might be a bit under the weather. Listening to post game comments as well as his recent Monday press conferences on YT, he sounded low and hoarse, like he was trying to imitate Batman or something.

Comment

• Originally posted by doolittledog View Post

I live in the Cedar Valley, grew up in the Cedar Valley. I, and many of my friends considered ourselves casual Panther fans. Like you say, it is fun to go and watch Panther games. They were a fun and more convenient 2nd option for me. I typically went to 1 football game a year at the dome, maybe a basketball game every few years throughout the 80's and 90's. I stopped going around the year 2000 because I started taking a lot of crap about being a "dual fan". I've heard the argument both ways. A more passionate fan base will mean higher attendance vs A more welcoming fan base will mean higher attendance. I'm not sure what the right answer is. I still follow the Panthers and consider myself a fan. But I stopped going to any sporting events in Cedar Falls due to attitudes I got from people.

I do think we have more passionate Panther fans now than 20-30 years ago, which is good. But I do know many in the Cedar Valley that no longer consider spending a day up in Cedar Falls taking in a Panther game.
                    And the WCF Courier does everything it can to reinforce that. Always galling to look at their sports page and see them leading with whatever is breaking in Hawkeyeland first.

Comment

Didn't realize that, thought that DII counted and DIII is when it didn't. My point still stands, we don't need to play playoff teams in the non-con, we're gonna play four of them at least in MVFC play. Schedule some schmoes. We don't have a first half with 60 yards, and goofed around with a second quarterback taking over for half a game each. Basically treating the first two games as tune up games and losing, instead of playing actual tune up games and getting easy wins. Sure, Eli looks good now, would've been better to see him get it all out of his system at home and against a team that we could win without passing against.

And if not for actually making the football team better, think of the fans/sources of income for the school, it's a hell of a lot easier to sell 2-1 compared to 0-2.
                      UNI never plays DIII teams.

I don't even think it's allowed.

By the way...Western Illinois beat Montana last night. We just needed to win that game.
                      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• So sick of hearing about that's not UNI football.....does anyone even know what that is anymore???????

Comment

That D2 rule has been gone for a couple years now - 4 I think.

D2s now “count”. They don’t help anymore than beating a SWAC, MEAC, PFL, NEC but they now longer acricely count against you.

the win total rule is also gone. Notice how 6 D1 win teams have gotten in recently?
                          Last edited by clenz; 09-16-2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

UNI never plays DIII teams.

I don't even think it's allowed.

By the way...Western Illinois beat Montana last night. We just needed to win that game.
                            You can play D3. That falls under that doesn’t count rule. D3 and NAIA are the same in that regard.

PFLs play D3 and NAIA more than anyone else. That’s largely because they are basically D3 football programs so there’s more willingness for them from the D3 and NAJA schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by doolittledog View Post
                              I stopped going around the year 2000 because I started taking a lot of crap about being a "dual fan".
                              How would people even know that you were a "dual fan" unless you were wearing Iowa/ISU/whatever gear to UNI events, or constantly talking about those other schools?

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                How would people even know that you were a "dual fan" unless you were wearing Iowa/ISU/whatever gear to UNI events, or constantly talking about those other schools?
                                Crap from coworkers if there were tickets available at work saying I wasn't a true fan. Crap from friends saying "you didn't go to UNI, I know you're really an Iowa fan, I hardly ever see you at UNI games, you haven't been to a game since I took you last year", crap at church saying "i know you were in Iowa City last week, why were you in Cedar Falls yesterday", crap from family members saying "Why do you hope to make it to a game this year? We're there every week, we don't see you there"

I know some of it was in jest and good natured ribbing, but it wore on me after awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X