WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread Iowa, Week 2***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sevelev711
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
    Studying a little history....there is very little correlation (in fact almost none)...between UNI's success in games versus Iowa and Iowa State and their ultimate season/playoff success.

Case in point...in 2005 UNI lost to Iowa 45-21 and went to the Natty. In 2009 they lost 17-16 and didn't make the playoffs.

Track the results through Farley's tenure and the same theme holds true most the time. The relationship is inverse more than not.

Not saying I'm happy with Saturday night or what I've seen in first two games....but history shows the Iowa/Iowa State games are not good indicators of UNIs full season success.

​​​​​​The key to this season is winning at least 3 of the next 4. Then it's game on.
    Yeah but it's so much more fun to win against Iowa State or Iowa (or so I would assume for the latter).

Leave a comment:

• Blue42
    replied
    Studying a little history....there is very little correlation (in fact almost none)...between UNI's success in games versus Iowa and Iowa State and their ultimate season/playoff success.

Case in point...in 2005 UNI lost to Iowa 45-21 and went to the Natty. In 2009 they lost 17-16 and didn't make the playoffs.

Track the results through Farley's tenure and the same theme holds true most the time. The relationship is inverse more than not.

Not saying I'm happy with Saturday night or what I've seen in first two games....but history shows the Iowa/Iowa State games are not good indicators of UNIs full season success.

​​​​​​The key to this season is winning at least 3 of the next 4. Then it's game on.
    Last edited by Blue42; 09-17-2018, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• in_the_stands
    replied
    WIU-Griz was in Macomb, but still good for the MVFC.

Leave a comment:

• 01PantherFan
    replied
    Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Its theoretically possible we could finish 8-3, but from what I have seen thru 2 games is not a competent football team. I have a hard time believing this team can finish the rest of the schedule at 8-1 when we’ve got NDSU, SDSU, YSU etc on the schedule.

SDSU put up 90 points on Saturday, Mo St beat a ranked team, and NDSU is just better than we are in every way.
    Dont forget WIU beat Montana at Montana as well

Leave a comment:

• VoiceofReason2018
    replied
    Good luck to the Panthers the rest of the season! Take care of business against Hampton! You guys are a good bunch of fans and the passion that you have for your school is awesome! Disagree with the comments about Farley (dude is an excellent coach who plays in a tough division and he played for UNI). I could be wrong, but I don't see UNI having the draw to find a better alternative. He also stuck with you all those years when he could have bailed.

Also disagree with scheduling weak teams. UNI has a good program and they don't need to do that. Sometimes you lose those games, it happens. But there is no need to go and put Incarnate Word on the schedule, leave those weak ass moves to ISU. Honestly, this Iowa defense is really good and UNI put up 14 points against them (wasn't 100% 1st team, but it also wasn't 100% second team either). AJ Epenesa said after the game that UNI's OLine was the best they played all year. Thats saying something considering that ISU put up 27 against OU. Anyway good luck the rest of the year and go Panthers!

Leave a comment:

• in_the_stands
    replied
    And the Trees scored 55 on Eastern IL. Interesting scores from last weekend.

Leave a comment:

• 06panther10
    replied
    Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
    Well as usual, I'm not nearly as pessimistic about our team as most on here. I predicted we would lose the first two games and finish 8-3 and so far I'm right on track. In the Montana game for whatever reason Eli just laid an egg. Howell came in at half and we came within an eyelash of coming all the way back to win it. Had he started the game we would have won, but there's no way any coach could have anticipated that and made the change before the game. Just the reverse in the Iowa game, Howell won the start based on the first game, but Dunne looked so much better in the second half. Hopefully he's back in form now and will play like that the rest of the way. We didn't make a dramatic comeback, but at least we looked like we had an offense of some sort. We scored two touchdowns, which is two more than ISU scored, against what looks to be Iowa's stoutest defense in a long time. I don't think having our week off at this point in the season helped us, I think it hurt us. Iowa had two games under it's belt and we had only one, which just meant we had less game experience at this point. Only time will tell, but I think Iowa will have a pretty successful season this year, they certainly played far better offensively against us than in their first two games and I would tend to believe our defense is as good as any they have faced. So if they are getting their offense rolling to go with that defense it could take them a long way. I know the popular position is to hate all things Iowa and believe they suck badly, but I don't and I don't.

I think if Eli had started this game it would have been a lot more competitive, although there was no way we were going to win. Technically this is how it's supposed to go between an FCS team, no matter how good, and a good P5 team. We've been spoiled a little by beating bad FBS teams and coming close against mediocre Iowa teams the last few meetings. I could be completely wrong, Iowa may go down the toilet and so may UNI. I'm still hopeful for UNI and though I don't follow Iowa I hope this game doesn't turn out to be their peak because it only makes us look worse.
    Its theoretically possible we could finish 8-3, but from what I have seen thru 2 games is not a competent football team. I have a hard time believing this team can finish the rest of the schedule at 8-1 when we’ve got NDSU, SDSU, YSU etc on the schedule.

SDSU put up 90 points on Saturday, Mo St beat a ranked team, and NDSU is just better than we are in every way.

Leave a comment:

• clenz
    replied
    I'm not entirely sure why fans - or the staff - is overly high on Howell based on what we've seen game action wise.

For his career he is
    7 games
    53-102 (51%)
    633 yards (90 yards per game)
    3 TD
    2 INT
    31 carries
    146 yards
    2 TD

Of those stats half of his passing and rushing yards, 2 of his 3 TDs came in 2 games against Indiana State.

He deserves credit for changing something in the Montana game (though the defense holding Montana to 72 total yards in the second half helped) but even then he was 11-22

I believe Howell was probably a better choice than Sullivan, Keller or McElvain in Iowa City, but moving forward as we face FCS teams I think we need to see what those 3 have for the coming seasons - should Eli get hurt, completely fall apart, or we get into blow outs. McElvain gets 4 games, I hope they use them. Any kid not getting 4 games under this new rule is a travesty.

We weren't going to beat Iowa - but to have 20 total yards in the first half is far beyond an acceptable level of what is "okay" in a losing effort to them.

Leave a comment:

• GonzoCat
    replied
    Well as usual, I'm not nearly as pessimistic about our team as most on here. I predicted we would lose the first two games and finish 8-3 and so far I'm right on track. In the Montana game for whatever reason Eli just laid an egg. Howell came in at half and we came within an eyelash of coming all the way back to win it. Had he started the game we would have won, but there's no way any coach could have anticipated that and made the change before the game. Just the reverse in the Iowa game, Howell won the start based on the first game, but Dunne looked so much better in the second half. Hopefully he's back in form now and will play like that the rest of the way. We didn't make a dramatic comeback, but at least we looked like we had an offense of some sort. We scored two touchdowns, which is two more than ISU scored, against what looks to be Iowa's stoutest defense in a long time. I don't think having our week off at this point in the season helped us, I think it hurt us. Iowa had two games under it's belt and we had only one, which just meant we had less game experience at this point. Only time will tell, but I think Iowa will have a pretty successful season this year, they certainly played far better offensively against us than in their first two games and I would tend to believe our defense is as good as any they have faced. So if they are getting their offense rolling to go with that defense it could take them a long way. I know the popular position is to hate all things Iowa and believe they suck badly, but I don't and I don't.

I think if Eli had started this game it would have been a lot more competitive, although there was no way we were going to win. Technically this is how it's supposed to go between an FCS team, no matter how good, and a good P5 team. We've been spoiled a little by beating bad FBS teams and coming close against mediocre Iowa teams the last few meetings. I could be completely wrong, Iowa may go down the toilet and so may UNI. I'm still hopeful for UNI and though I don't follow Iowa I hope this game doesn't turn out to be their peak because it only makes us look worse.

Leave a comment:

• unifan
    replied
    Originally posted by Purpledog View Post

I was at the game and was extremely baffled that Colton started. I know they are just kids, but he was not the guy to start if we really wanted a shot. Like I said in an earlier post, against Iowa’s zone D , to stay close we needed to pass and pass well. There was not going to be a run game against this team. Yes , Iowa had pressure but there is a huge misconception, we were not flushed out of the pocket as much as I have heard people saying, It’s called a “pocket” for a reason. Farley loves the athletic running QB, but I saw way too many times running East and West instinctively way too soon, instead of stepping up into the pocket and find a throwing lane. It gives the illusion of more pressure than there really is,, Colton not only missed with throws, he again totally missed even seeing the field and open receivers. We needed a QB to execute, our receivers and TE actually had great separation the entire night, but when a QB only looks in one direction, or waits til a target is open , instead of throwing to a spot you can’t give your weapons the chance they need. Pre Season All American in Eli and he sits the first half?? There was a big difference when he came in, yes he too missed a few times, because of pressure, but he was more calm stepped up in the pocket, made some great reads and delivered way more often the not. We have very nice offensive weapons, I just think we need a QB that can make passes to utilize them. No more experimenting , please, save the Colton’s type QB’s for the games where they can use their running skills.
    In both second halves this season, we’ve opened up the playbook and field, and we’ve been able to move the ball. Yes we were down big in both instances, but why not come out with aggressiveness like that out of the gate? There are playmakers out there. We handcuff ourselves so much on offense, it’s insane.

Leave a comment:

• Purpledog
    replied
    Originally posted by 12thFloorBender View Post
    Iowa’s pressure really hurt UNI. Several times the Panthers had open WRs but the QBs were flushed out of the pocket or were forced to throw inaccurate passes. I was pretty pleased with the WR play as they were beating the Iowa secondary and linebackers. That front 4 for Iowa is just damn good and were too big and strong.
    I was at the game and was extremely baffled that Colton started. I know they are just kids, but he was not the guy to start if we really wanted a shot. Like I said in an earlier post, against Iowa’s zone D , to stay close we needed to pass and pass well. There was not going to be a run game against this team. Yes , Iowa had pressure but there is a huge misconception, we were not flushed out of the pocket as much as I have heard people saying, It’s called a “pocket” for a reason. Farley loves the athletic running QB, but I saw way too many times running East and West instinctively way too soon, instead of stepping up into the pocket and find a throwing lane. It gives the illusion of more pressure than there really is,, Colton not only missed with throws, he again totally missed even seeing the field and open receivers. We needed a QB to execute. Our receivers and TE actually had great separation the entire night, but when a QB only looks in one direction, or waits til a target is open instead of throwing to a spot you can’t give your weapons the chance they need. Pre Season All American in Eli and he sits the first half?? There was a big difference when he came in, yes he too missed a few times, because of pressure, but he was more calm stepped up in the pocket, made some great reads and delivered way more often the not. We have very nice offensive weapons, I just think we need a QB that can make passes to utilize them. No more experimenting , please, save the Colton’s type QB’s for the games where they can use their running skills.
    Last edited by Purpledog; 09-16-2018, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Blue42
    replied
    Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
    Back when the playoffs were 16 team, that was the case. But since the expansion (and the rise of the MVFC in recent years), the chances of a 6 DI win team from the Valley getting in are actually quite good.
    Is it possible to get in with 6 from the MVFC? Yes.

Has it happened? Yes.

Are the chances "quite good"? No....no they're not.

DII games are NOT our path to the post season.
    Last edited by Blue42; 09-16-2018, 12:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• clenz
    replied
    2013 we finished 3-5 in conference play and in 8th place. No 8th place team from any conference deserves to be in.

2006 was also a 16 team playoff and while we finished tied for second we had 7 wins and a D2 loss and 3 Gateway teams has at least 9 wins.
    Last edited by clenz; 09-16-2018, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vbfan19
    replied
    Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
    Without looking back, there were several seasons we finished 7-4 and didn't get in, when it sure seemed we were better than several of the 8-3's that did. Our fault for not getting 8 those years ourselves, of course. Just a case of one too many WTF performances in those seasons.
    2013 could probably be considered a snub.
    Finished 7-5 (including a win at Iowa State), but having 5 conference losses really hurt (even though 3 of those losses were in OT or double OT, and another one was a 1-point loss at NDSU during one of their national championship years).

Had 7 D1 wins in 2006, but also had a loss to a D2 team, which isn't going to impress the committee.

And in any case, comparing pre-playoff expansion to post-playoff expansion is apples and oranges in terms of the "7 win threshhold".

Leave a comment:

• in_the_stands
    replied
    Without looking back, there were several seasons we finished 7-4 and didn't get in, when it sure seemed we were better than several of the 8-3's that did. Our fault for not getting 8 those years ourselves, of course. Just a case of one too many WTF performances in those seasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X