WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread Hampton, Week 4***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apathy has arrived I am afraid.

Perfect day day to tailgate and few did. Based on what was around us season ticket sales are way down.

Comment

I'm glad they do that clap thing before the snap. Just in case UNI's offense wasn't predictable enough, they should let the defense be able to anticipate the snap too.

Comment

Announced attendance of 9116. That's not ideal. That's about, what, 60% capacity? At this point, I'm glad that we're host NDSU just for the revenue spike.

Comment

Panthers looked good tonight.

Got our fair share of some favorable scheduling.

Amazing how much better a team can look when they get to play a lesser opponent at home.

Good job boys. Way to take care of business.

Now go get that one on Thursday night.
          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

A few observations from the game...

1. Our OL is pretty good at pass blocking...and pretty average at run blocking.

2. Deion McShane may leave UNI as one of the better WRs to play here by the time he's done.

3. We've gotta find a way for our D to defend the edge.

4. Why is our new punter...who replaced the starter who broke his hand...covering kickoffs?

5. Suni Lane has been moved back to WR. That's a good thing. I think he can be a weapon there.

6. Our center HAS GOT TO be consistent with his snaps. He nearly air mailed several again today.

7. Brekke looks like a big athletic safety. But I don't like to see us still experimenting with DB starters in game 3.

8. Fossey is becoming a play making WR.

9. We're loaded at TE. Nissen and Moore are legit. Tristan Bohr can play.

10. Why is our starting DL in til the final horn in a 44 point game when we play on Thursday? Farley!!!???!!!

11. Why do kids ever bring kickoffs out of the end zone?

12. Why don't we go under center in short yardage situations?

13. Eli is throwing some nice balls. If he gets time...he's lethal.

14. We need to throw to set up the run...not run to set up the throw.

15. Our TACKLING really needs to improve.

16. We REALLY need this game Thursday night.
            Last edited by Blue42; 09-22-2018, 09:51 PM.
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

A few non-game observations:

1) Sound system feedback before game was highly annoying. Refer to Traveling Panther and havok58's posts on this.

2) Tailgating was sad. The number of people was quite small for a perfect fall day.

3) Why state you are going to throw footballs out to the crowd after touchdowns and don't do it.

4) Dollar concession promo got increased sales. The hallways were full of people getting not only the cheap popcorn but beverages and other snacks.

5) The band sounded great. They had alot of energy and enthusiasm during entire game.

Comment

There was a dollar concession promo? When was this announced? If it was over the PA system, then no wonder I missed it.

Overall the team played well but to me a little rusty still. Like the others I was expecting it to be more of a blowout by halftime and it looked like UNI just wore Hampton down. I wish that the starters came out earlier, with our bad luck at injuries better to play it safe when the game is in hand. As for the high snaps, I was wondering if it's because Dunne is 6-5 and Weymiller is 5-10 and Howell 6-0. Maybe Szczyrbak has more reps snapping to Dunne so it's just muscle memory when someone shorter is back there causing the high snap.

It's a short week with a must-win should-win game and hopefully everybody leaves Terre Haute injury free so they're ready for NDSU. And I hope more fans (students!) show up for UNI than NDSU too!

Comment

It was nice to get a W.

That said, I'm not sure I've ever seen a less impressive 44-0 win. Sloppy, predictable, stale.

This is just what we are now.

Non-Football Thoughts--
                  Video board was in SD all night.

9116 was an incredibly generous announced attendance.

Beautiful tailgate. Not a ton of people out but those of us that were had a really good time.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                    There was a dollar concession promo? When was this announced? If it was over the PA system, then no wonder I missed it.!
                    During a media timeout they had two student race to determine the deal. Hard to miss. I can tell you it worked. I saw more than 15 bags bought in my area(10 in my group alone). No exaggeration. This is a great new promo.

In addition to the issues noted above, if you are doing the 50/50, why not put the winning numbers on the board? You had to catch the announcement. Fortunately they read it a third and fourth time shortly after as many in my group missed the first readings. Overall, not a great showing by game day operations this week.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                      In addition to the issues noted above, if you are doing the 50/50, why not put the winning numbers on the board? You had to catch the announcement. Fortunately they read it a third and fourth time shortly after as many in my group missed the first readings. Overall, not a great showing by game day operations this week.
                      They've had 50/50 drawings last season, and perhaps the season before (can't remember). Have they ever shown the winning number on the videoboard?

As for the videoboard, it looks like we already broke parts of it. when they show the fullscreen graphic of a truck driving across after a touchdown, there is a square/rectangle of black (leads me to believe that is a dead panel. most of the time that section is just black space anyway, between the center "video" portion, and the advertising, but still), and there is another square/rectangle in the upper corner that sticks with the game sponsor advert panel. Dunno if that is a glitch or intentional, but it looks dumb.

And with the concessions promotion, I almost have to wonder if the whole "race" thing was staged, and it was predetermined that it would be $1 popcorn and not $1 hotdogs. Didn't TC basically tackle the hotdog guy? Oh well, at least they had fun with it.

Wonder how many other fanbases have pretty much nothing but complaints after a 44-0 win. Not saying that the complaints are unwarranted (we all know this program is on the downslide), it just seems odd given the score.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

And with the concessions promotion, I almost have to wonder if the whole "race" thing was staged, and it was predetermined that it would be $1 popcorn and not $1 hotdogs. Didn't TC basically tackle the hotdog guy? Oh well, at least they had fun with it.

Wonder how many other fanbases have pretty much nothing but complaints after a 44-0 win. Not saying that the complaints are unwarranted (we all know this program is on the downslide), it just seems odd given the score.
                        Yes, I would say the promotion was staged. TC did tackle guy on purpose. I was one person who purchased popcorn (my favorite snack) and they had bags premade for the promotion when I got to concession stand. It was a nice way to boost sales as most people bought more than just popcorn.

In terms of complaints, my earlier post was just observations except about the sound system. The sound system has been problematic for awhile. The complaints that people are posting on here stem from overall frustration with the program. After all, this was the first home game so it was the premiere of this year's product. Hopefully, things like tailgating and the sound system improve with the season.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                          A few non-game observations:

1) Sound system feedback before game was highly annoying. Refer to Traveling Panther and havok58's posts on this.

2) Tailgating was sad. The number of people was quite small for a perfect fall day.

3) Why state you are going to throw footballs out to the crowd after touchdowns and don't do it.

4) Dollar concession promo got increased sales. The hallways were full of people getting not only the cheap popcorn but beverages and other snacks.

5) The band sounded great. They had alot of energy and enthusiasm during entire game.
                          After at least two of our touchdowns, I saw the cheerleaders throwing mini footballs to the players' parents section (north end of the west side).

Comment

A few observations:

1. A beautiful day!
                            2. OP got remodeled? Wow. Haven't been to the Hill in a while. Saw the new floor and thought I was in the wrong place and almost left. WTF new restrooms? Is nothing sacred?
                            3. Audio in the Dome is still bad.
                            4. Game management stinks. MVC Championship T&F team with their backs to the crowd due to the camera guy. Uh, turn the kids around and stand on the field so we can see them, even if they are in the end zone. Looked weird with a line of backs and backsides.
                            5. Same camera guy had be told where to go for the HOF announcement.
                            6. First line of the Alma Mater is still missing from its box in the program. Emailed Sports Information two years ago when I first noticed the omission. Now it's just funny to see. If we can't get the small things right, when will we get the large things right?
                            7. 9116 was right. Didn't think we would break 10,000 and didn't. Remember Panther fans are with the program win a lot or win a lot.
                            8. I knew TA lost 4 home games in his tenure as UNI head coach. I'd forgotten none of them were conference games. I know, different world today, but damn it was fun.

Comment

I will say I liked the pre-game video with Bryce Paup, Kurt Warner and David Johnson.
                              Last edited by '70 Grad; 09-23-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
                                I will say I liked the pre-game video with Bryce Paup, Kurt Warner and David Johnson.
                                Totally agree. A medium thing that was done right.

Comment

Working...
                                X