WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Game Thread NDSU, Week 6***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stolz67 View Post

You must’ve missed the dripping sarcasm
    I guess I did! 👍

Comment

• Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
      I don't know that it matters. Student tix are free and it was only half full. I looked but couldn't get a read of the west side. East side was less than half full.
      There were times that bye sons were louder than the home crowd.
      That's a huge problem for UNI and I'm guessing for other directional schools as well. How do you get the students to the games. The atmosphere suffers when you bring 200 students in. They set the tone and until that improved every game is going to feel flat.

That said until UNI starts winning some games and stops losing at home, attendance is going to suck... I'm guessing 12k for homecoming.
      If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• I'm not sure why people are surprised that the attendance is bad. Yeah, it's a pretty fair-weather fan base, across all sports at the school. Has been for quite some time now. It's just hard to tell that when the teams are successful and people are showing up because of that.

Comment

• Just saw that the Trees took the Jacks to OT at SDSU - WTF?

Comment

• First time we've given up 50+ points since losing to Iowa 66-0 in 1997. (Dunbar's first game)

First time we've given up 50+ points to an FCS team since October 1983 against SIU (52-9)

So, obviously things are going well.
            #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
              First time we've given up 50+ points since losing to Iowa 66-0 in 1997. (Dunbar's first game)

First time we've given up 50+ points to an FCS team since October 1983 against SIU (52-9)

Wondering the last time we gave up 50 at home... Ugh. I remember when we didn't lose at home. Now we lose at least one a year.
              If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

• Anything on Cal Twait yet? Already down one starting Olineman with Nick Ellis in street clothes and a boot on Saturday.
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                  First time we've given up 50+ points since losing to Iowa 66-0 in 1997. (Dunbar's first game)

Geez, I was at both of those games and was a Saturday's games.

Comment

• Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

Wondering the last time we gave up 50 at home... Ugh. I remember when we didn't lose at home. Now we lose at least one a year.
                    No-loss seasons in the Dome (from what I pulled from the media guides, includes playoff games):

Sheriff: 0/7 seasons (plus a single one-loss season)
                    Mudra: 2/5 seasons (plus three one-loss seasons ... one of which was a playoff loss in the Dome)
                    Bruce: 0/1seasons (no one-loss seasons)
                    Allen: 4/8 seasons (plus four one-loss seasons ... one of which was a playoff loss in the Dome)
                    Dunbar: 1/4 seasons (plus two one-loss seasons)
                    Farley: 4/17+ seasons* (plus seven one-loss seasons ... two of which were playoff losses in the Dome)

Overall:

Sheriff: 25-17-1 in the Dome in 7 seasons (0.581)
                    Mudra: 30-3 in the Dome in 5 seasons, including 3-1 in playoff games (0.909)
                    Bruce: 2-3 in the Dome in 1 season (40.0%)
                    Allen: 48-4 in the Dome in 8 seasons, including 3-1 in playoff games (0.923)
                    Dunbar: 18-4 in the Dome in 4 seasons (0.818 in the Dome) - plus one home loss at Central High School field (Waterloo) in 1998
                    Farley: 84-23 in the Dome* in 17 seasons + this year, including 5-2 in playoff games (0.785)

Overall, 0.793 in the Dome, including playoff games.

*includes 2018 for Farley
                    Last edited by ronfitch; 10-09-2018, 08:46 AM.
                    "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• A few reactions from the game on Saturday...

1. Liked the OL play. Best OL we've had in years. Nice work Coach Clanton.

2. We need a more diverse run game scheme. Can we run a stretch play off tackle once in a while?

3. Rima continues to improve. Looking like a legit college WR the last few weeks.

4. Fossey has become a heck of a WR. He'll go get a ball.

5. NDSUs play calling gets better as the game goes. Ours does not evolve. At least not the run game.

6. Too conservative with play calls early 3rd quarter. 3 and outs put our D on field too much and they got gassed. Gotta keep your foot on the gas playing teams like NDSU.

7. Great to see Suni Lane make a clutch catch. He's too good an athlete for us to not have on the field.

8. We need to play Elerson Smith more. He's so fast off the edge most OT's can't block him. He gets QB pressure.

9. Errthum and Kibby...very good kicking in a big game.

10. Eli made some great throws. Missed a few but overall a heck of a performance against that level of D.

11. Our tackling has been poor all year and it's cost us in every loss this year.

12. NDSU should have had 4-5 holding flags and got none. Refs are very slow to drop flags on them.

13. Ezra getting better with the snaps. Still a little inconsistent but much better.

14. Our special teams overall have been much improved over prior years. Good job Coach Braun.

15. The big play at the start of 4Q was a killer. Momentum changed and we never got it back.
                      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherFan View Post

Geez, I was at both of those games and was a Saturday's games.
                        Me too! UGH

Note from the game program: "So far this season, UNI has outscored its opponents 43 - 0 in the fourth quarter." So much for that.

NDSU looks so crisp in everything they do. Every block - from the line to the wide receivers is effective. We were yelling for holding, but the refs did not agree. They remind me of YSU when sweater vest came in for a playoff game -everyone moving fast, hard & in unison off the ball. That game a long time ago was an eye-opener as to what elite play looked like.

Comment

• Thank god my ESPN+ wasn't working and I didn't actually get to see it.

I followed the gamecast/social media. Embarrassing from everything I can put together.

But hey. you know what?

WE'RE PLAYING PANTHER FOOTBALL!!!!

Comment

• We started very well. The first TD was a thing of beauty. I was hoping we could keep the lead at 14 because that would force NDSU to alter their game plan. When they were able to keep it close, then they could stay to their offensive plan. The game was certainly closer than the final score because we had to go for it on 4th down toward the end and gave them great field position to score at the end.

Comment

• The lack of holding calls was quite notable. Both teams got away with a lot. And our left tackle (#76) was jumping early a lot and not getting called for it.

Comment

• Lots of great throws and catches. A few times, I couldn't even see who it was being thrown to, but then a receiver would emerge from coverage. #4 is going to be fun to watch for four years.

Comment

Working...
                                X