WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember when

Use this as a place to list the things we as UNI fans used to do back when we had a relevant team.

I recall anticipating the FCS coaches poll coming out at noon on Monday.

I remember when PR used to say, a Ferocious predator has been seen stalking the nation with a x ranking.

I recall way back in the day throwing rolls of toilet paper.

I remember #1 vs. #2 (Idaho) in the dome going down to the final play.

I remember having to get to the game an hour and a half early to get a seat in the GA student section.

I remember chants that went back and forth from East side to West side (One Team/One Goal).

I remember a vicious defense that came after the QB relentlessly, along with a tough line and running game, combined with X-factor Kenny Shedd.

I remember passing QBs who knew how to stand in the pocket, face down a D and occasionally went up top - OVER the defense.

This is just for starters - and they're all just from my years on campus (early 90s).

This is why watching the past 10 years has been so hard to take. I was spoiled rotten.
    Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
    Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
    - George Halas

Comment

I remember being excited starting Wednesday afternoon for a Saturday game.

I remember actually wanting to leave the tailgate to go to the game

I remember re-entry

I remember the second pizza being really cheap at Mulligans on Monday

I won't go all early 90s on you...
      #MACtion

Comment

NDSU and SDSU were stuck in D2.

Comment

A down field passing game...
          If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I remember not being embarrassed in front of opposing fans or people I brought to the game at how haphazardly the whole production was slapped together. Believe it or not, there used to be some ceremony and crowd involvement at the beginning of games, kids. The stands were full a good share of the time, regardless of opponent. The team was expected to be a playoff challenger for the National Title and was in the Top 5 every year.

I feel so bad for Panther football fans outside that magical time in the early 90s who never got to experience that. Some of my fondest memories as a sports fan.
            Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
            Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
            - George Halas

Comment

The mid and late 00's were pretty good too.

Comment

I remember the utter confidence I use to have when we were playing in the Dome regardless of the opponent, I would be borderline sure we would win.

I remember being excited and proud to bring non UNI fans and first timers to campus for a game and show them what we had.

I remember getting goosebumps during the pregame festivities and team entrance.

I remember not being completely terrified about playing a road game at the likes of South Dakota or Indiana State for fear of how we will defeat ourselves.

I remember eagerly looking forward to Saturday afternoons.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Rima’s show today they both said how “”we would have taken being down in the 4th quarter by only four points with a chance to win”.

What a a load of crap with a capital ‘S’.

Back in in the day UNI would have found a way to win. Back in the day it felt like UNI never lost at home. Now we look at schedule and just assume loses.

I would bet the AD reads this sight, hell its th only place to read anything.

DO SOMETHING positive and quit screwing up.

Tickets should never ever be more than $25 until you figure out how to have a winner.

You have to have early season home games in good weather to drive tailgating and interest. Most haven’t even tailgated this season because of closed lots and likely will not. You lost an entire season of giving people the experience.

I would hsve opened the lot between Rider and Gilcrest for tailgating and drove around in a van handing out six packs of beer to people over 30. Turn a negative into a positive. Hand out T-shirt’s or anything. You should have emails of all season ticket holders to get word out. See if the basketball team would have been willing to walk around and greet people.

Quit worrying about volleyball to the point of screwing over football and it’s fans.

Face it, the football program is stuck in a pile of crap until you get buy out / fire Farley. Until that time you best break your back to keep fans. Cheap tickets, cheap beer, good kickoff times. Let people leave and come back in at halftime. Just time after time of stupid decisions.

I looked on StubHub. Big Ten Big XII and NFL had cheaper tickets than UNI did on Saturday. Are you insane? This is like the Waterloo Bkackhawks charging more then the NHL.

Just lovely to be told how nice it is to get a chance to compete against NDSU. It’s like getting your front door kicked in, having robbers eat your food and say “lucky that is all I did”.
                  Last edited by run&blade; 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM.

Comment

West stands looked OK. East side looked as small as a Thanksgiving weekend playoff crowd or worse. Embarrassing.

Down/distance/ball on the___ on the scoreboard was comical - sometimes more than a play behind.

A weird feeling sitting here thinking "well, we've gotten that over with. Now let's see how many games we can win this year & maybe sneak into the playoffs." Didn't used to be like that, but things have changed - for many reasons.
                    Josh Mahoney, Ellie Blankenship, Adam Koch, Jacqui Kalen, David Johnson, Madison Weekly = Golden Panthers on and off the court.

Comment

I remember having to apologize to Montana fans in 2016 for the pathetic showing we put on on the field and in the stands after spending months talking about how big the game was and how excited everyone was.

I remember on Friday night I was out to eat at Mama Nicks with some of my NDSU fans, and I remember apologizing to them BEFORE THE GAME for how bad the dome was going to be.

That **** should never ****ing happen at UNI. This goes well beyond product on the field at this point. David needs to get a ton of **** straightened out, and fast, within this department and it's direction. **** is sliding backwards and fast.
                      "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
                      -A twist on Matt Campbell getting Iowa State bowl eligible.

Comment

I remember Southwest Missouri State (Now Missouri State) being our big rival for the conference title and beating them in the dome in what I think was a sellout to get the title back in 1990.
                        I remember the dome being so loud that if you weren't at the game you could hear it at the towers.
                        I remember a long 4th down pass in 2005 to beat Southern Illinois to get the conference title and make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                          Quit worrying about volleyball to the point of screwing over football and it’s fans.
                          R&B, I'm not sure why you have such a hate boner for volleyball considering it is both currently and historically one of our most successful programs.

As for the rest of y'all, man, this is borderline embarrassing. Maybe it's because I'm young, and I didn't get to experience the sold out crowds at the dome, but man it's pathetic to have multiple threads dedicated to this same exact point. You don't like the direction the program is in. Got it. Not much to do about it until Farley is gone, and his buyout is too much for our relatively poor school.

Yeah, they jacked up prices, because it was against the #1 team in FCS who travels well. Yeah, attendance was bad, but the prices were so high that more money was made from that garne than if it were sold out at regular prices. Yeah, the team isn't the "power house" it was, but again, the only thing to hope for is for Farley to get better, because the money to fire him isn't coming from the "operating at a loss" athletic department, and it's not coming from the old boosters who still love him.

I'll be honest, you people are making me hate the program more than the on field product is. Can we not throw a pity party every 5 minutes? For christ's sake, people are talking about how the sky burning down and the future is dark on a day where a 3-STAR, ACC & AAC OFFERED QUARTERBACK COMMITTED. Two days after playing 3 quarters of winning football against a team in the midst of a historic dynasty. Can you at least keep your incessant complaining to yourself for 24 hours after great news?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

R&B, I'm not sure why you have such a hate boner for volleyball considering it is both currently and historically one of our most successful programs.

As for the rest of y'all, man, this is borderline embarrassing. Maybe it's because I'm young, and I didn't get to experience the sold out crowds at the dome, but man it's pathetic to have multiple threads dedicated to this same exact point. You don't like the direction the program is in. Got it. Not much to do about it until Farley is gone, and his buyout is too much for our relatively poor school.

Yeah, they jacked up prices, because it was against the #1 team in FCS who travels well. Yeah, attendance was bad, but the prices were so high that more money was made from that garne than if it were sold out at regular prices. Yeah, the team isn't the "power house" it was, but again, the only thing to hope for is for Farley to get better, because the money to fire him isn't coming from the "operating at a loss" athletic department, and it's not coming from the old boosters who still love him.

I'll be honest, you people are making me hate the program more than the on field product is. Can we not throw a pity party every 5 minutes? For christ's sake, people are talking about how the sky burning down and the future is dark on a day where a 3-STAR, ACC & AAC OFFERED QUARTERBACK COMMITTED. Two days after playing 3 quarters of winning football against a team in the midst of a historic dynasty. Can you at least keep your incessant complaining to yourself for 24 hours after great news?
                            Volleyball doesn’t take bring thousands of people to campus that might have future students with them. It is a cute story but it doesn’t matter. They give away tickets in the form of using football tickets.

Quit hurting football to promote volleyball. Very simple.

I dont care abou footbsll recruits. After 10 years of below uni standards the days of hyping recruits has passed. You are going to have to produce on the field to get fans back. Can he hand off on 1st and 2nd down non-stop?

I hsve my doubts he still has ACC offers on table all things being equal and he picked UNI. Was his offer to play QB? Is this a Carnes type situation?

i am right. Thousands of empty seats is all the proof I need.
                            Last edited by run&blade; 10-09-2018, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Okay all, please sit tight and know that the athletic department hears and sees you...
                              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Working...
                              X