WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand customers speak with there feet/wallet and stay away to send a message. But isn't it counter productive to say i want a better program without supporting it financially and by showing up.

If you want a better tailgate atmosphere...show up, tailgate, invite some people you like to join you and have fun. If we play poorly...I always have a good day at my tailgate. We've got great lots in close proximity to the stadium that charge 5 for a car 10 for an rv or car/trailer...we just need willing fans to show up and participate. They don't make it hard to tailgate. The University can't fix tailgating...that's all on the fans to show up and do it and enjoy the day.

All things said though...if we win more games, advance further in the playoffs more people will show up.

Comment

I'm old, but I remember the band playing Henry Mancini while the Pink Panther (and sometimes Mrs. Pink Panther) ran around. I also remember winning nearly all home games

Comment

This is year 31 of season tickets. Years ago, Mrs. Cat would ask if the game would be a 2, 3 or 4 ibuprofen game. For a lot of games, I would tell her 4 and after the game she would be grateful. There weren't many 2 or 3 games. Now she doesn't ask at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat80 View Post
          This is year 31 of season tickets. Years ago, Mrs. Cat would ask if the game would be a 2, 3 or 4 ibuprofen game. For a lot of games, I would tell her 4 and after the game she would be grateful. There weren't many 2 or 3 games. Now she doesn't ask at all.
          ...I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the implication is here. Is it "the crowd was so loud" or "the games were so frustrating" or a third option?

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post

...I'll be honest, I'm not sure what the implication is here. Is it "the crowd was so loud" or "the games were so frustrating" or a third option?
            So loud it gave her a headache. Not so much now.

Comment

Originally posted by Cat80 View Post

So loud it gave her a headache. Not so much now.
              My daughter used safety ear muffs ... purple, of course.
              "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Except the majority of those leading our athletic department now are brand new -- and are not the same people that didn't care to change things just a few years back.

Thanks for continuing to help us focus on the parts of reality that are encouraging. Unfortunately, there are some on this board who just gripe about the same old things and ignore what you say. I take encouragement from it and hope for better things.

Comment

Does anyone else remember in the UNI / Idaho game when the UNI crowd was chanting so loud late in the game when Idaho had the ball and was driving for a score (they ended up not scoring on the drive) and the Idaho QB approached under center, barked out signals, looked left and right and realized he wasn't getting the play signals clear to his teammates. Anyway, the QB stepped away from center, looked at the Umpire, with the "what should I do now?" look and raised hands, and the Ump pointed back at the center as if to say "you better get this play off." Needless to say, the decibel level increased two-fold. That to me was a defining moment in Panther football. #1 v. #2 on your home turf, a "W", and national attention.
                  "Try being more of the solution, and less of the problem."

Comment

I was at that game. It was a great win for that team and the program. I hope we can have a few more games like that in the dome.

Comment

Originally posted by 4N6 View Post
                      Does anyone else remember in the UNI / Idaho game when the UNI crowd was chanting so loud late in the game when Idaho had the ball and was driving for a score (they ended up not scoring on the drive) and the Idaho QB approached under center, barked out signals, looked left and right and realized he wasn't getting the play signals clear to his teammates. Anyway, the QB stepped away from center, looked at the Umpire, with the "what should I do now?" look and raised hands, and the Ump pointed back at the center as if to say "you better get this play off." Needless to say, the decibel level increased two-fold. That to me was a defining moment in Panther football. #1 v. #2 on your home turf, a "W", and national attention.
                      That's not exactly how I remember it. I remember the ref actually giving the Idaho QB more time and threatening UNI with penalties due to crowd noise -- which was a thing refs did back then. Look up old clips on youtube - not of this game specifically, but several instances across NCAA/NFL - all it did was incite the crowd and they got louder. Your point still stands though. And I'm thinking the last time the Dome sounded anything close to that was maybe '08 vs New Hampshire during the comeback? The Flacco game was loud but the 2nd half had a certain inevitability to it that I think weighed on the crowd at the end. I'll echo others who mentioned '05 vs SIU as well.

Anyway. I don't want to pile on too much here. I've participated in - and started - enough of these threads and I think my opinion is widely known or saturated. I agree with posters that long for the days of yesteryear but also agree with those that point out that perhaps our memory is a little off. There's never been a consistent tailgate scene. Despite my issues with attendance in recent years, there's never not been a season where butts in seats numbers for 1 to 3 games are just head scratchers. Students have always either not shown or left at halftime. The crowd on the whole has always thought up 14+ at the end fo the 3rd meant you could head home. The teams of the past still consistently lost on the road in the playoffs. Etc. Etc. (The one exception of course 2005 - which were heights never attained before or since, making it a very clear exception to the rule.)

Where I go back in forth on this subject in my head is whether or not a more consistent effort and strategic plan from the AD could make a difference. I tend to think it could. But I also feel like the reality is that there is a ceiling for the level of support and excitement - due in large part to the pull from our public school neighbors to the south and southwest - that no amount of effort will be able to overcome, making comparisons to NDSU truly apples to oranges.
                      Last edited by UNI MadCat; 11-05-2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

I remember the Idaho kicker hitting from about 60 in warmups.

He tried about a 62 yarder on final play of game.

I loved watching the good southwest Missouri State teams run the wishbone.

Comment

Working...
                        X