WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
    I'll be honest, you people are making me hate the program more than the on field product is.
    This is where I'm at, and I know I'm not alone. No one is happy with the current state of things. I promise you that the people higher up want to fix it.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
      Maybe it's because I'm young, and I didn't get to experience the sold out crowds at the dome,
      Two days after playing 3 quarters of winning football against a team in the midst of a historic dynasty. Can you at least keep your incessant complaining to yourself for 24 hours after great news?
      I'm going to address this post. I've been lurking a lot on the board this year, and just have no interest in posting because of how terrible the team has looked. For some reason this post struck a nerve with me. I think this board is a microcosm of the UNI fanbase as a whole. I will never drag my family 2 hours from the Des Moines area to go watch this product. Everything about the experience is second-rate, at best. The pregame tailgate atmosphere, the pregame dome experience, the product on the field, the production during the game-- all trash. Why would I spend my money supporting an operation that doesn't exactly scream that they care about the experience? NDSU has NOTHING on us in terms of facilities, yet their gameday experience is 100x better. This has everything to do with an athletic/marketing department that takes pride in EVERY. SINGLE. ASPECT of the gameday experience. Everything we do is half-assed.

UNI is in the unfortunate position of having two universities who put a heck of a lot of money into their operation. Half-assed efforts on the field, in the production, and in the tailgate aren't going to cut it. Especially when you can get a ticket to see a Big Ten or Big 12 game for about the same price, you sure aren't going to pull people away for our second-rate operation. That's the reality of the situation. The UNI "fanbase" has always been apathetic, and it takes a pretty stellar team to bring people in. We had that starting in 2005 and it brought some people in. Even in the midst of an undefeated season in 2007, and a hell of a 5 year run from 2005-2010, we had a tough time getting butts in the seats. I think that says a lot about the gameday experience. If they want things to change, there needs to be a lot of change in the program or people are going to continue to spend their hard earned money elsewhere.

As for the on-field product, this is all I need to read. I spent 4 years as TC, and every year was not a "gosh, I hope we can give NDSU (at that time, it was SIU and Youngstown) 3 quarters of a good game." That's freaking embarrassing. That's the kind of crap I used to give my ISU fan friends a hard time about. "Well, we hung with Texas or OU for a half." We went into every game EXPECTING to win. We welcomed Joe Flacco, a now 10 year pro, into the dome and I had no doubt we would win that game. We would have won if we had not made the head scratching decision to abandon Corey Lewis after the half, but I digress. It was FUN to be a part of that madness on the field, to look up in the stands and see a full student section, to see a fanbase that was enjoying themselves and expected to win every game. Now, you are hard pressed to look at ANY game on our schedule and expect to win. I was one of the most diehard UNI guys you'll ever meet, and I think it says a lot more about the program and gameday experience that people like me are having trouble finding anything to get excited about. You can speak ill of people like me all you want, but it sure is hard to get excited about a program that is not fun to see in person, and certainly is not fun to watch on TV get out coached every week. I'd rather sit on my couch and be comfortable, drink a cheap beer, and be able to turn the game off than load my family up, spend a fortune, and be just as frustrated and then have to spend another 2 hours on the road home. We have the facilities to get the best FCS players in the country, we damn well better find someone to coach them, and an operations crew that starts hearing what the fans have been saying for 10 years or you can get used to threads just like this one.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_beeding View Post

I'm going to address this post. I've been lurking a lot on the board this year, and just have no interest in posting because of how terrible the team has looked. For some reason this post struck a nerve with me. I think this board is a microcosm of the UNI fanbase as a whole. I will never drag my family 2 hours from the Des Moines area to go watch this product. Everything about the experience is second-rate, at best. The pregame tailgate atmosphere, the pregame dome experience, the product on the field, the production during the game-- all trash. Why would I spend my money supporting an operation that doesn't exactly scream that they care about the experience? NDSU has NOTHING on us in terms of facilities, yet their gameday experience is 100x better. This has everything to do with an athletic/marketing department that takes pride in EVERY. SINGLE. ASPECT of the gameday experience. Everything we do is half-assed.

UNI is in the unfortunate position of having two universities who put a heck of a lot of money into their operation. Half-assed efforts on the field, in the production, and in the tailgate aren't going to cut it. Especially when you can get a ticket to see a Big Ten or Big 12 game for about the same price, you sure aren't going to pull people away for our second-rate operation. That's the reality of the situation. The UNI "fanbase" has always been apathetic, and it takes a pretty stellar team to bring people in. We had that starting in 2005 and it brought some people in. Even in the midst of an undefeated season in 2007, and a hell of a 5 year run from 2005-2010, we had a tough time getting butts in the seats. I think that says a lot about the gameday experience. If they want things to change, there needs to be a lot of change in the program or people are going to continue to spend their hard earned money elsewhere.

As for the on-field product, this is all I need to read. I spent 4 years as TC, and every year was not a "gosh, I hope we can give NDSU (at that time, it was SIU and Youngstown) 3 quarters of a good game." That's freaking embarrassing. That's the kind of crap I used to give my ISU fan friends a hard time about. "Well, we hung with Texas or OU for a half." We went into every game EXPECTING to win. We welcomed Joe Flacco, a now 10 year pro, into the dome and I had no doubt we would win that game. We would have won if we had not made the head scratching decision to abandon Corey Lewis after the half, but I digress. It was FUN to be a part of that madness on the field, to look up in the stands and see a full student section, to see a fanbase that was enjoying themselves and expected to win every game. Now, you are hard pressed to look at ANY game on our schedule and expect to win. I was one of the most diehard UNI guys you'll ever meet, and I think it says a lot more about the program and gameday experience that people like me are having trouble finding anything to get excited about. You can speak ill of people like me all you want, but it sure is hard to get excited about a program that is not fun to see in person, and certainly is not fun to watch on TV get out coached every week. I'd rather sit on my couch and be comfortable, drink a cheap beer, and be able to turn the game off than load my family up, spend a fortune, and be just as frustrated and then have to spend another 2 hours on the road home. We have the facilities to get the best FCS players in the country, we damn well better find someone to coach them, and an operations crew that starts hearing what the fans have been saying for 10 years or you can get used to threads just like this one.
        And get off his lawn too... I kid, I kid.

I actually agree with everything said here. The athletic department has been saying it hears the fans for years now but nothing has changed. Yes winning fixes a lot of what is wrong. However, putting effort into running a great gameday atmosphere has been a problem for UNI forever. We continually do things that only hurt attendance. Go back and look at old threads about how clunky the team introduction was 10 years ago, the music issues, the tailgating restrictions, etc. Its the same thing over and over and nothing has changed in a decade. Until the department shows that it is willing to proactively change, the apathy will continue to spread.

Here we are in October and I'm already onto basketball because this team appears to be doing the typical dance of limping into the playoffs, being forced to play another Hampton opponent on Thanksgiving weekend, only to be sent on the road and destroyed by a championship contender.
        If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post

And get off his lawn too... I kid, I kid.

I actually agree with everything said here. The athletic department has been saying it hears the fans for years now but nothing has changed. Yes winning fixes a lot of what is wrong. However, putting effort into running a great gameday atmosphere has been a problem for UNI forever. We continually do things that only hurt attendance. Go back and look at old threads about how clunky the team introduction was 10 years ago, the music issues, the tailgating restrictions, etc. Its the same thing over and over and nothing has changed in a decade. Until the department shows that it is willing to proactively change, the apathy will continue to spread.

Here we are in October and I'm already onto basketball because this team appears to be doing the typical dance of limping into the playoffs, being forced to play another Hampton opponent on Thanksgiving weekend, only to be sent on the road and destroyed by a championship contender.
          Except the majority of those leading our athletic department now are brand new -- and are not the same people that didn't care to change things just a few years back.
          "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
            Down/distance/ball on the___ on the scoreboard was comical - sometimes more than a play behind.
            This is something that I found humorous and sad too. Is it because there is someone new in the booth still learning how to operate the controls? Or is it because they need another person to operate this as there are too few people to do multiple things. Sometimes it's the little things that should be easily fixed that stick out (like one of the band podiums is still missing a wheel, making it awkward for the person rolling/dragging it off the field). If the AD and band can't make the simple cheap fixes, it leads me and others to wonder if they can make the big fixes that are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIAlum95 View Post
              That has always been the case. Even when UNI was dominating a (much weaker) conference, they'd make the playoffs, win a game or maybe two, then get beat by a championship contender.
              Hence why the program has zero championships and only one title game appearance.
              The difference now is that those championship contenders are in the same conference, so UNI has to face them in the regular season (and earlier in the playoffs, due to regionalization)

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post

This is something that I found humorous and sad too. Is it because there is someone new in the booth still learning how to operate the controls? Or is it because they need another person to operate this as there are too few people to do multiple things. Sometimes it's the little things that should be easily fixed that stick out (like one of the band podiums is still missing a wheel, making it awkward for the person rolling/dragging it off the field). If the AD and band can't make the simple cheap fixes, it leads me and others to wonder if they can make the big fixes that are needed.
                I might be mistaken but I think it was someone new up there operating it.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_beeding View Post

The Fargodome is significantly nicer than the UNI Dome, NDSU has an Indoor bubble to practice on, NDSU has FBS level coaches offices, NDSU is 50% done fundraising for $35 IPF.

Comment

I would not be on board with pissing away the millions of dollars NDSU does on FCS Football. We have a Top 15 budget. That's perfectly sufficient.

Plus, their costs to be in the Summit for other sports are FAR less than to be competitive in the Valley.
                    #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                      That has always been the case. Even when UNI was dominating a (much weaker) conference, they'd make the playoffs, win a game or maybe two, then get beat by a championship contender.
                      Hence why the program has zero championships and only one title game appearance.
                      The difference now is that those championship contenders are in the same conference, so UNI has to face them in the regular season (and earlier in the playoffs, due to regionalization)
                      Right? I always chuckle when people say that UNI used to be a "power house." What kind of power house has a single runner-up as its highest accomplishment? If I'm getting ragged on for being happy about 3 good quarters against a program better than ours, I'm gonna make fun of people who brag and boast and are wishing for the glory days of a second place finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Logicfan View Post

The Fargodome is significantly nicer than the UNI Dome, NDSU has an Indoor bubble to practice on, NDSU has FBS level coaches offices, NDSU is 50% done fundraising for $35 IPF.
                        So you're going to write a check today, correct?

What you are talking about takes money. People keep saying they don't want to invest money in a program that's not winning but it takes money to build a winning program.

The PSC 15 days of giving has started. Let me know if you want information. Some cool prizes offered during this time, but the biggest thing for me and my family is knowing that we are helping support student athletes, and in turn, building a better community and a more fun community for my family to live in.

Comment

Winning a couple games use to mean you were in final four. When was the last time UNI made it that far?

today the first game is usually against a complete piece of crap program that shouldn’t even be considered for playoffs. It’s like having YMCA teams play in opening round of NCAA basketball tournament.

under old rules UNI wouldn’t have sniffed the playoffs most of the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

What you are talking about takes money. People keep saying they don't want to invest money in a program that's not winning but it takes money to build a winning program.

The PSC 15 days of giving has started. Let me know if you want information. Some cool prizes offered during this time, but the biggest thing for me and my family is knowing that we are helping support student athletes, and in turn, building a better community and a more fun community for my family to live in.
                            I'd write a check for $35 if it would get UNI an IPF. Even though I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of an IPF is when you have an indoor stadium. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what an IPF is. But I just think it would cost more than $35 for a decent one.

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think Logicfan is a Bison supporter.
                              Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                              Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                              - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by 95UNIGRAD View Post

I'm not 100% certain on this, but I think Logicfan is a Bison supporter.
                                That's what I get for not even looking at who the poster was. That makes more sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X