WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We Need To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
    UNI wasn't the best team in 2005. They were a good team that benefitted from a whole bunch of lucky breaks.
    And if UNI was really the best team all those other years, they would have won at least one championship.

I definitely miss having QBs like Eric Sanders and especially those offensive lines from that era, though.
    The 2005 team had an attitude and a team bond that helped get them as far as they did. And yeah... there were some lucky breaks. A lot of them. That season was written in the stars.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

The 2005 team had an attitude and a team bond that helped get them as far as they did. And yeah... there were some lucky breaks. A lot of them. That season was written in the stars.
      Then it was a foregone conclusion that they would lose to App State, according to the stars.

Comment

Welp…time for me to update a post I made on October 15, 2017 regarding this topic. There are 3 active threads on this topic so I’ll just post it in this one. For those curious for my original post it can be found here: https://www.panthernation.com/forum/...-farley/page30

What this research does is show long term trends of the program. It shows the lack of discipline mentioned in another thread – and it has nothing to do with penalties. It shows a ship that is going the wrong direction, quickly. As I mentioned in the YSU game thread, Farley is the CEO of UNI football. In almost no situation is a CEO that produces the results (translated into their world, obviously) would keep their job after the length of time that these results are coming from.
        I’m going to put Missouri State down as a win this week – a dangerous bet at this point to be honest but I wanted full numbers

I split it 2001-09 and 2010-present. It’s now a perfect split of Farley’s career at UNI. 9 years before and 9 years after. And to be honest I’m nice to the second half of Farley’s career and included 2 conference title seasons of 2010 and 2011 to it. If you want to really judge him off of the last half of his decade and look at 2012 on it’s…just…cry into your pillow.

Numbers from 2001-2009
        Total: 80-31 (72.1%)
        Home: 48-10 (82.8%)
        Road: 32-21 (60.4%)
        <8 Home: 11-6 (64.7%)
        <8 Road: 9-7 (56.3%)
        <8 Total: 20-13 (60.6%)

Since the start of 2010
        Total: 65-45 (59.1%)
        Home: 39-14 (73.5%)
        Road: 26-31 (45.6%)
        <8 Home: 8-9 (47.1%)
        <8 Road: 9-18 (33.3%)
        <8 Total: 17-27 (38.6%)

On top of that, the half time scores of our last 4 playoff losses – per 06panther10 in the same thread I linked above
        7-26
        10-7
        0-24
        10-28

UNI has been at/under .500 after week 6 (so for the first half of the season) in the following season

Ironically, 2013 UNI started 4-0, fell under .500 on the season 5 weeks later and missed the playoffs.

There have been 2 (and let’s be real potentially 3 if we don’t get it right for MSU this weekend) seasons that have finished under .500 since our last conference title. Minimum of 2 in 7 seasons, maybe 3 in 7 seasons. UNI’s previous sub .500 season was 1988. You have to go back to the pre FCS days to find 3 other sub .500 seasons. Think about that – we’ve doubled out number of sub .500 seasons in 7 years than we had the previous 40(ish)

This season we have losses of 28, 25, 21, and 20 and were down 26-0 to Montana at half time.
        This is by far the worst defensive effort that has ever been put forth under Farley, and it’s really not even close. It’s not even just scheme. It’s a complete lack of discipline at all levels from containment to blown assignments (or calling piss poor assignments), even down to effort.

There is no way you can justify that things are okay.
        That the program is going the right way.
        That it’s clear Farley knows how to, and will, fix it….because if he did, the last 9 years don’t look like they do.
        We aren’t having this discussion now.

Let's be clear, going “Yeah but NDSU” isn’t an excuse. They aren’t losing UNI the other 4 or 5 games a season. They aren’t taking the talent that people seem to think we no longer have (for some reason). NDSU has no impact on UNI’s day to day life….and if they are living in UNI’s head and having an impact on Farley and how he’s doing things it’s just extra reason to move on.

I wish I didn’t think someone other than Farley should be the coach. All the stories of the “bleeds purple” and “exemplifies UNI”. I’m not sure there would be a better story in the FCS of a coach winning a title at a school than Farley and UNI. However, here we are and the reality is what it is.

I know Rima loves to sell this idea that UNI should be thanking our lucky stars to have Farley leading us – and to an extent that’s true. He makes it sound like Farley is beating down FBS offers to stay here. Maybe 11 years ago that was true. It’s not anymore. The harsh reality is…and it’s harsh…is that a coach doesn’t stay at an FCS school for 18, 25, 30+ years if they are truly high high level coaches. Look at the coaches in the FCS who are around 18-35 years. They are programs that don’t win titles. They don’t make playoff runs. They tend to be programs that are happy to be in the 7-9 win range and win a playoff game. The same is especially true at the FBS level. What staying at a place for 2 or 3 or 4 decades shows a level of complacency where they are. Sure, they can be pushing for a higher level of success where they are, but they learn they won’t be fired. They learn they can sell the idea of a ceiling, the idea of “X TEAM football”. A level of comfort sets in, and once comfort sets in your dead.

I don’t know what else to say anymore. I guess we will see in the next 60 days if Harris is serious about making changes within the football program or not. 47 days left in 2018 and 3 days of the football season. No reason to do anything in the next 47 days. I put 60 because that gives 2 weeks into January. If you’re grabbing an FBS assistant bowls are over. FCS playoffs are over. You need a coach in to reach out to recruits to sell them on staying.

If, in 60 days, nothing has been done – or even no concrete rumors – then we know the path for UNI football is just sliding further into the background.
        Last edited by clenz; 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I might note that the tenor of the conversation has, at least on this board, shifted from the previous "fire Farley" vs "he will turn it around" to now a discussion of when to pull the trigger. Who knows if or how the conversation has changed for the AD & big dollar donors.

Comment

To say NDSU, SDSU, UND & USD have had 0 impact on UNI is ridiculous. Beyond the 100 extra scholarships the fact that NDSU's staff has 3 coaches from Waterloo, IA and the leading rusher for the Bison is from Waterloo.

Comment

Originally posted by Logicfan View Post
              To say NDSU, SDSU, UND & USD have had 0 impact on UNI is ridiculous. Beyond the 100 extra scholarships the fact that NDSU's staff has 3 coaches from Waterloo, IA and the leading rusher for the Bison is from Waterloo.
              Yeah, literally nobody has said that, but thanks for trying.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Need further confirmation that football has had a major slide and that basketball is our premier program?

Rima is in the Virgin Islands for the Paradise Jam. First time EVER that they've sent him to do a holiday tournament instead of a football game. Who's taking his place? Braley? Nope, he declined so he could film for PST. Wells? Nope, calling a Valley basketball game on Friday night and then the TV for football.

The answer? Mark Simpson. Petey's drinking buddy that used to do Cedar Falls High School games on the radio and does occasional freelance stuff for KCNZ.
                #MACtion

Comment

I wouldn't blame Rima for choosing a trip to the Virgin Islands for basketball over staying in CF for a football game, even if football wasn't tanking. But it is an interesting change to the status quo.

Comment

I thought that was interesting as well. Granted the location is desired but as a University, it is an early season basketball tournament against one of only a 11 football games. It's the last game, still a remote playoff possibility, and our lead broadcaster is following the basketball team. I'm a little surprised.
                    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

I wouldn't read too much into that Rima choice. I think most people would choose a sunny tropical destination over the cold November Iowa weather if given an option. I would. I heard his radio broadcast for the Youngstown game and it seemed like the basketball tourney was decided before last Saturday's game.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                        I wouldn't read too much into that Rima choice. I think most people would choose a sunny tropical destination over the cold November Iowa weather if given an option. I would. I heard his radio broadcast for the Youngstown game and it seemed like the basketball tourney was decided before last Saturday's game.
                        You could not be missing the point any more than you are.
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

You could not be missing the point any more than you are.
                          Nope. I am choosing to not read too much into this choice by Rima. Besides, maybe Rima is also doing some scouting for the CourtKings. His role in that venture would make people think he chose basketball as his preferred sport long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post

Nope. I am choosing to not read too much into this choice by Rima. Besides, maybe Rima is also doing some scouting for the CourtKings. His role in that venture would make people think he chose basketball as his preferred sport long ago.
                            RIMA DOESN'T MAKE THE DECISION!

Panther Sports Properties (Learfield) and the athletic department do. They've concluded that basketball is our premier sport and should have our 'A' crew. By your logic, Rima EVERY OTHER YEAR went 'screw the tropics, I want to call this incredible FCS football game against Indiana State!!!'

And the CourtKings thing? LO-freaking-L. They don't have a single player that played DI bball that doesn't have UNI connections. That league is all DII and NAIA players.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Yes, PSP probably has the final say, but I'd imagine if Rima talked to Learfield and/or the AD and said "hey, I'd like to go to the Paradise Jam with the bball team this year instead of football", they'd probably let him. Of course, nobody here really knows the actual situation.
                              And even if PSP determined that there was greater radio interest in some road basketball games (possibly against some big name opponents) over a home football game against a bottom-0f-the-league opponent, it just means they are comparing these particular events, not the status of the programs in general. And comparing the likely radio audience between these two particular events, I'm sure there is greater interest in the basketball, especially when you factor in the number of those interested in the football game that will be attending the game instead of listening on the radio.
                              But if you wanna consider it an earth-shaking turn of events, go for it.

Comment

The football game is on free TV, the basketball game is on pay TV and free radio. Almost if not all previous early season bb tournaments have been on free TV. That is why the radio network is sending their broadcaster to the bb tourney, a lot of people will be listening to the radio for it and not many will be listening to the radio for the football game. Of course when I say free TV I am talking about networks that are on the cable/satellite system you are already paying $80-200 bucks a month for.
                                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                                X