WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round 2: UC Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 2: UC Davis

So, I watched Davis tape today...then looked at their schedule

Davis's Big Sky schedule
    Idaho: Finished 9th in the Big Sky. Didn't beat a team in the top 8 of the Big Sky
    NoCo: Finished 11th in the Big Sky. Wins were 8th place NAU and 12th place SUU
    Idaho St: Finished 5th in the Big Sky. 5-5 against D1...only wins were bottom 3rd of the Big Sky
    Poly: Finished 7th in the Big Sky. Only beat the bottom of the conference
    NAU: Finished 10th in the Big Sky
    EWU: Got embarrassed
    Sac State: Finished last in the Big Sky...Winless...was SUU's only win of the season

I'm not counting San Diego as anyone worth bragging about. It's a non scholarship team.
    Sure they have an FBS win, but it was SJSU and they were 1-11

Their best win was...Idaho State or a PFL team.

They played 2 good teams and were blown apart both times.

It's still a road game for UNI...but....I mean...I feel like their ranking and stats are somewhat blown out of proportion.

Well, there is a common opponent that you missed in your list, Montana.

Comment

Didn't Idaho just recently drop down from FBS? They were only 9th in the Big Sky??!!

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
        Didn't Idaho just recently drop down from FBS? They were only 9th in the Big Sky??!!
        Yup, they moved to FBS for the '96 season and back to FCS this season.
        Last edited by ronfitch; 11-27-2018, 06:20 PM.
        "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post
          First year back

Comment

Originally posted by Agalum View Post
            Well, there is a common opponent that you missed in your list, Montana.
            Long story but you could give Mark Farley the New England Patriots and he would lose to Montana.
            #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Long story but you could give Mark Farley the New England Patriots and he would lose to Montana.
              Okay I kind of chuckled out loud at this. No offense to Farley at all but - this was funny.
              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                So, I watched Davis tape today...then looked at their schedule

Davis's Big Sky schedule
                Idaho: Finished 9th in the Big Sky. Didn't beat a team in the top 8 of the Big Sky
                NoCo: Finished 11th in the Big Sky. Wins were 8th place NAU and 12th place SUU
                Idaho St: Finished 5th in the Big Sky. 5-5 against D1...only wins were bottom 3rd of the Big Sky
                Poly: Finished 7th in the Big Sky. Only beat the bottom of the conference
                NAU: Finished 10th in the Big Sky
                EWU: Got embarrassed
                Sac State: Finished last in the Big Sky...Winless...was SUU's only win of the season

I'm not counting San Diego as anyone worth bragging about. It's a non scholarship team.
                Sure they have an FBS win, but it was SJSU and they were 1-11

Their best win was...Idaho State or a PFL team.

They played 2 good teams and were blown apart both times.

It's still a road game for UNI...but....I mean...I feel like their ranking and stats are somewhat blown out of proportion.
                They beat Montana by four td’s so there’s that...

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Lol, no doubt and Farley would be having Brady run QB run options and roll out QB keepers

Comment

What is the scouting report on their QB? How mobile is he?

Comment

I got UNI by 10 in this game. West Coast kids arent tough.
                      UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

Originally posted by Spathicle View Post
                        What is the scouting report on their QB? How mobile is he?
                        He's not.

Makes Eli look pretty agile as he has more tham twice as many rush yards with negative 32

He's very very good in a clean pocket. Once the pocket gets a little messy his accuracy drops pretty quick. I don't mean when there's or 3 guys with hands in him messy. I mean, from what I saw, the instant he thinks there's pressure you can see him get happy feet and he throws to his first read .

To counter this they run a ton of screens. The full Idaho game is available online. They ran 6 screens on their first drive alone. Then counter lunch with Doss over the top when the safties suck down.

They key for our defense is the from 3 or 4. They need to messy the pocket without the need for a blitz. I think they can. UCDs OL is good but not real great .Guys like Ricky and Elerson collapsing the edges while Bryce and Brinkman can hold the middle to let the backers fly to the vall is going to be huge.

Davis will take a 6yard deep snap and their QB is moving back when he gets it. He's really bailing back to get as much distance between him and the LOS to help get time. The Davis tackles will take 3 rather large back pedal steps back before even trying to make contact. The gaurds will take 2. They really go out of their way to force the pocket u shape rather than creating it. In theory this helps our DL. Allows our very good edge rushers to have more speed built before engaging and allows Bryce and Brink to get an extra yard in the trenches before engaging.

The worry to that is the screen game. It's like UCD invites the over rush because ifof h much they screen. Which is why we need pressure without sending a backer

Last edited by clenz; 11-30-2018, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Looks like the team arrived last night about 10:00 pm in Sacramento. Get a good nights rest, sleep in late and get up and get after it.

A bit surprised that we have two night in a hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                            Looks like the team arrived last night about 10:00 pm in Sacramento. Get a good nights rest, sleep in late and get up and get after it.

A bit surprised that we have two night in a hotel.
                            I know with the NCAA tournament in volleyball, the teams playing at a particular site are assigned a certain practice time in the facility the day prior, and with UNI's match at Wisconsin last night, the assigned practice time was early enough in the day on Wednesday that Bobbi felt it best to make the 3ish hour bus trip Tuesday night.
                            I wonder if it a similar situation for football, and having an assigned walkthrough/practice time today.

Comment

Yahoo Sports article I saw summarized today's game as UNI being bigger and stronger. UC Davis as healthier and more explosive. Yahoo's prediction is UC Davis 28, UNI 24. Their concern with UNI is William's ankle injury and our poor road record. I think those are fair and accurate assessments.

I feel our D will have their hands full with RB Ulonzo Gilliam and WR Keelan Doss. Both have over 1000 yards from scrimmage.

Comment

Working...
                              X