WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farley Watch 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farley Watch 2018

Thought we needed a thread to discuss Farley's future that wasn't buried in various other threads.

As of January 1, his buyout drops to approximately $800k from the $1.375M that it currently sits at. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, Troy did not include any offset language so we would be on the hook Nebraska-Pelini style even if/when he takes a job as a position coach or coordinator somewhere. I've been told the money piece isn't the issue.

Discuss.

Last edited by BCPanther; 12-03-2018, 09:38 AM.
    #MACtion

Well your numbers are off base, his buy out currently sits at $1,250,000 give or take 5-10K depending on what bonuses he earned this year for APR and post season play. It drops to $630K after 1/1 again give or take a bit. His contract was posted in the last new fire farley thread, it's not that hard to compute. Letting him go is the overwhelming choice on this board, whether that translates into the overall fan base I don't know, and whether it is even on DH's radar I have even less of a clue. I'm ready for a change, but I still recognize that about 90% of FCS schools would trade for UNI's position in a heartbeat. Because his buyout takes the big drop in Jan, then actually starts to increase again due to $20K annual minimum pay increases, I think it will either happen in Jan. or he is here for the duration. I can live with it either way, but I fear some on here will have a stroke if it doesn't happen.
    Last edited by GonzoCat; 12-03-2018, 09:23 AM.
    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

He’s not getting fired. Its just not happening.

He’s made the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 seasons, and won at least 1 game in every appearance. It is what it is, but that is how the AD is going to look at it.

UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Contract Numbers: https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/...t-contract.pdf

Apologies, I added an extra year. Will correct original post.

After 1/1--3 Years x $300k= $900k (There would be some offset with returned cars and that kind of thing)

Before 1/1--3 Years x $200K=$600k
        2019 Appearance/Media Fee=$230k
        2020 Appearance/Media Fee=$250k
        2021 Appearance/Media Fee=$270k
        Unpaid Bonus/Deferred Comp=$25k (approx)
        TOTAL=$1.375M
        #MACtion

Comment

ISTR that the reason his contract is as generous as it is is due to support from several key donors (have not seen the names posted). Would these donors withhold future giving if an attempt were made to oust MF?

Comment

Originally posted by in_the_stands View Post
            ISTR that the reason his contract is as generous as it is is due to support from several key donors (have not seen the names posted). Would these donors withhold future giving if an attempt were made to oust MF?
            If the reports of the buy out money not being an issue - then...well... - they aren't going to be too upset clearly.
            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

The money piece isn't an issue? Then he has to go.

Do I think he's back? Yes.

Harris has to be having fun now. The major sports are
              1) a team that does the same thing over and over. Not terrible or anything but most expect more but leading to a very apathetic fan base.
              2) A complete train wreck for no glaringly obvious reason leading to a sad fan base

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                Contract Numbers: https://hkm.com/football/wp-content/...t-contract.pdf

Apologies, I added an extra year. Will correct original post.

After 1/1--3 Years x $300k= $900k (There would be some offset with returned cars and that kind of thing)

Before 1/1--3 Years x $200K=$600k
                2019 Appearance/Media Fee=$230k
                2020 Appearance/Media Fee=$250k
                2021 Appearance/Media Fee=$270k
                Unpaid Bonus/Deferred Comp=$25k (approx)
                TOTAL=$1.375M
                You're right on the pre 1/1. I thought his contract called for 3 years annual minimum, but it is the next 3 years including the annual increases that would have occurred, or basically exactly what he would get if still coaching, less future bonuses. It also gets paid over the 3 year time frame, not upon termination.

As for post 1/1 the wording at the end of paragraph 11 is somewhat ambiguous, I interpret it to say he gets 150% of his current annual minimum, which would be $410K X 1.5 = $615K. Farley's lawyer might interpret it to say he gets 150% of pre 1/1 amount or approx $2 million. The inclusion of the parenthesized "as defined in paragraph 11" was a mistake because a) it is still in paragraph 11 and b) the rest of P11 was all about determining the pre 1/1 payout amount. I don't think he could win on that argument, but he might be able to get them to settle for something in between. The post 1/1 payout is also due within 60 days of termination.
                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post

You're right on the pre 1/1. I thought his contract called for 3 years annual minimum, but it is the next 3 years including the annual increases that would have occurred, or basically exactly what he would get if still coaching, less future bonuses. It also gets paid over the 3 year time frame, not upon termination.

As for post 1/1 the wording at the end of paragraph 11 is somewhat ambiguous, I interpret it to say he gets 150% of his current annual minimum, which would be $410K X 1.5 = $615K. Farley's lawyer might interpret it to say he gets 150% of pre 1/1 amount or approx $2 million. The inclusion of the parenthesized "as defined in paragraph 11" was a mistake because a) it is still in paragraph 11 and b) the rest of P11 was all about determining the pre 1/1 payout amount. I don't think he could win on that argument, but he might be able to get them to settle for something in between. The post 1/1 payout is also due within 60 days of termination.
                  I agree that the wording is terrible. Mostly because at the top of the deal it refers to 'Annual Guaranteed Base Salary' and then in that whole section it refers to 'Current Annual Minimum'. The problem is that it doesn't refer to or define 'Current Annual Minimum' anywhere in the document. I'm not an attorney by any means but you'd think someone should have caught that inconsistency.

The other thing that catches my eye is that deal was signed in the middle of October 2013. 2010 ended with the no-shows against Western and Lehigh, 2011 ended with the embarrassment in Missoula, 2012 was a 5-6 year and we were in the middle of that consecutive overtime loss debacle when this deal was signed. We were certainly on a downward trend at that point and Troy went all Barta and handed out an incredibly coach friendly deal to a guy that, realistically, wasn't going anywhere anyway when he was already signed through 2019 and had that '5 year recruiting window'.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Whenever this topic comes up we get a lot of excuses about North Dakota State joining the conference, but I don't feel like I've ever seen anyone talked about the fact that in the last 10 years Youngstown State has made it further in the playoffs than we have, and that program is a dumpster fire.
                    Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                      Whenever this topic comes up we get a lot of excuses about North Dakota State joining the conference, but I don't feel like I've ever seen anyone talked about the fact that in the last 10 years Youngstown State has made it further in the playoffs than we have, and that program is a dumpster fire.
                      And a program like Kennesaw State, that is 4 years old.
                      And Colgate
                      And UC Davis - which transitioned D1 the same time as the Dakota's and has faced an absolute onslaught of pushback from faculty for athletic spending (and has been a mostly garbage program)
                      And Wofford
                      And Illinois State
                      And Charleston Southern

NDSU hasn't seemed to impact SDSU like it's claimed they crippled UNI.
                      USD seems to be getting better

We haven't made it to the semifinals since 2008. That's 10 seasons ago now. This years freshman class was in 3rd grade. Incoming freshman were in second grade.

GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                        YSU doesn't recruit the same areas as UNI and NDSU.
                        And when YSU does make the playoffs, they don't get routed through NDSU or SDSU in the first couple rounds.

Comment

Yeah. YSU has it easy for recruiting. The only fight for recruits with

Akron, Bowling Gree, Cincinnati, Kent State, Miami, Ohio, Ohio State and Toledo in their own state. Plus then in the same area (using Minnesota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, northern Missouri and eastern Kansas that UNI and NDSU overlap with) they only then have to fight with Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Michigan, Michigan State, Ball State, Purdue, Notre Dam, Indiana, Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Marshall, West Virginia, Buffalo, Penn State, Robert Morris, Duquense, Dayton, Morehad State, Eastern Kentucky, St. Francis, Bucknell, and James Madison.

Heaven forbid having to go against NDSU when those are your only worries.
                          GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

UNI also wasn't routed through NDSU or SDSU this year.

How'd that work out?
                            GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                              And when YSU does make the playoffs, they don't get routed through NDSU or SDSU in the first couple rounds.
                              You got to beat them at some point, what difference if it's in the second round or the finals?

Comment

Working...
                              X