WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colgate v. NDSU game on ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Do you really think we need more doses of "non-Kool Aid driven realism?" Seems that there is no shortage of that on this site.

The problem comes when just about anything posted that is clearly for the purpose of just giving a little encouragement to the fans is met with a response that essentially eliminates the good vibe. For instance, I start a thread that is just about feeling good that FCS football is on big ESPN on Saturday. The first response tears it down (and not with realism because it isn't just a NDSU thing).

If you haven't noticed, traffic on this site has gone way down. And it is not just related to the performance of the team. Some of you are making the site very unwelcoming to fans who care more about cheering for our team than being "realistic" (aka "focusing us on the negative almost all the time"). I don't question the intention as some of you probably think that you are helping to protect us from being a stupid, irrational, overly positive fan base. You may think that the arsenal of "facts" brings a necessary "realism" to the site, but like water, it can nourish the crops or erode the land. As you look back on the last year or so on this site, which do you think is happening? It takes very thick-skinned fans to tolerate the berating of anything that doesn't mean your "realism" tests.

Go Panthers! Whether Kool-Aid driven or not!

P.S. Every once in a while, just say "Go Panthers" to a stupid fan-boy post and be glad that our fanbase includes people who simply want to cheer for their team.
    Very, very, VERY well said. Thank you.
    "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Of course.

Happy clapping

Only happily clap

Ever

Just clap

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
        Of course.

Happy clapping

Only happily clap

Ever

Just clap
        Nope. You're missing the point.
        "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

Of course.

Happy clapping

Only happily clap

Ever

Just clap

If you (and others) did this (less sarcastically) once-per-week, this would be a much better site. There is plenty of room for your "realism," but not as a constant damper on our fan spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Nope. You're missing the point.

Yep, I gave him a chance to say "Go Panthers" and he threw in the "only" and "ever." That is the point. There is plenty of room for posts of all sorts. But the final word doesn't have to be fan-squelching "realism" all the time.

Comment

I love a cyclone fan - who goes to Iowa State games, clearly picks Iowa State over UNI, donates to Iowa State, etc. - lecturing me on UNI famdom and what it means to be a UNI fan.
              ​​​​​​
              Like I didn't have grandparents that went to the ISTC. Like I didn't have aunts and uncles who were at UNI in the 60s and 70s. Like I didn't have cousins who went to UNI in the 90s. Like I didn't go to UNI, and my wife doesn't have an undergrad and masters masters from UNI, like my brother in law didn't go to UNI, like my in-laws didn't spent a deacdes serving on the parent advisory committee at UNI, like I don't have a cosuin at UNI right now. Like I don't donate, or go to games, or follow the teams, or anything else, like my social media isn't almost exclusively revived around and features UNI logos and no other college logos .

I guess I should take advice for how to be a better Panther from Cyclone fan dad.

Oh. But all I need to do is say

GO PANTHERS!

Comment

There

I made it so every single post I made says go Panthers

Comment

I love a cyclone fan - who goes to Iowa State games, clearly picks Iowa State over UNI, donates to Iowa State, etc. - lecturing me on UNI famdom and what it means to be a UNI fan.
                  ​​​​​​
                  Like I didn't have grandparents that went to the ISTC. Like I didn't have aunts and uncles who were at UNI in the 60s and 70s. Like I didn't have cousins who went to UNI in the 90s. Like I didn't go to UNI, and my wife doesn't have an undergrad and masters masters from UNI, like my brother in law didn't go to UNI, like my in-laws didn't spent a deacdes serving on the parent advisory committee at UNI, like I don't have a cosuin at UNI right now. Like I don't donate, or go to games, or follow the teams, or anything else, like my social media isn't almost exclusively revived around and features UNI logos and no other college logos .

I guess I should take advice for how to be a better Panther from Cyclone fan dad.

Oh. But all I need to do is say

GO PANTHERS!

"Oh. But all I need to do is say GO PANTHERS!"

Yes, doing this once-per-week without sarcasm to a fan-boy post would be a baby-step to make this a better site (regardless of who gave you the advice).

No one is questioning your "right" to say whatever you want or whether you are a better UNI fan than me. Clearly, you have knowledge, insight, and commitment to the program that is really valuable. Yet, you choose to express it often with such toxicity. Look around. Do you really think that you are helping the site by protecting it from my "naive" and "undeserving" fandom?

Go Panthers!

Comment

1.8 Million watched this game. Clenz & Uni Dad you 2 are both right. its all good!

Why don't you 2 be NDSU fans for 2 more games, then you can watch 2 games with joy and excitement!
                    UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

I, for one, will say that I appreciate Clenz's posts. I think they echo the sentiment of a large portion of Panther fans, and it's pretty hard to argue with raw data. He's a nice balance between R&B and the kool-aid drinkers. $.02.

I also appreciated that the second comment in this thread pointed out the fact that that used to be (and should still be) us. It's hard to appreciate a slew of underachieving teams with the same common denominator.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_beeding View Post
                        I, for one, will say that I appreciate Clenz's posts. I think they echo the sentiment of a large portion of Panther fans, and it's pretty hard to argue with raw data. He's a nice balance between R&B and the kool-aid drinkers.

Well said. R&B is in his own category!

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

"Oh. But all I need to do is say GO PANTHERS!"

Yes, doing this once-per-week without sarcasm to a fan-boy post would be a baby-step to make this a better site (regardless of who gave you the advice).

No one is questioning your "right" to say whatever you want or whether you are a better UNI fan than me. Clearly, you have knowledge, insight, and commitment to the program that is really valuable. Yet, you choose to express it often with such toxicity. Look around. Do you really think that you are helping the site by protecting it from my "naive" and "undeserving" fandom?

Go Panthers!

You keep hitting on the point that I'm ruining the site and people like me are driving into the ground and that the reason traffic is down is because of me and not team performance. I haven't touched on that before but I will now

That is utter bull crap. I get it, you're an infant in UNI fandom, and specifically being fully engaged on this site.

Go back to 2005-2011 before you joined. My posting style is EXACTLY the same - hell, to be honest it's actually scaled way back. I know you don't frequent sites like AGS or CS so you don't really have a full reference, but the running joke has long been getting me involved in a discussion to take their side and just go after them. The board was busy all day every day during the 07-11 time period. Look at what was going on during that time. UNI football was in the best run in program history, UNI basketball was just really starting to ramp up and making a S16 run, volleyball was running high. Wrestling was going through it's transition to Schwab. UNIWBB was getting to it's first NCAA tournament. My posting style did nothing to drive people away. People were here because teams were winning. They wanted to talk about it.

Some of it is people have "grown out" of message boards. That happens. People that were early 20s back then are in their 30s and have families now. People in their early 30s are now in their 40s or pushing 50. Maybe message boards arent the same thing for them at the mid line point than it was earlier.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the teams are bad. Look at literally any message board when their teams aren't winning compared to when they are. They are extremely busy when winning, they get just a touch busier when things start to go wrong (see PN about 2010 through 2013) and if we reach periods of sustained issues and "down" in a program the message boards will tail off pretty damn quick.

Look where UNI is right now with athletics.

Volleyball is still rolling along like they have, but in terms of teams that drive traffic to a place like PN.

MBB:
                          This season there was a bunch of hype - probably a year too early - but there was decent traffic. Team is 4-5 at the third pole of the season. Traffic has tailed off. I haven't posted in the basketball forum in a quite a while. Can't blame lack of traffic on me over there. Maybe it's the fact the team is 4-5, coming off of the worst two year stretch in nearly 20 years where the team was, to put it bluntly, just awful.

Football:
                          Been beaten to death about 300902 times. Look at attendance. It correlates to postings on PN.

Is it my job to "protect" this site?
                          Is it my job to blindly happily clap no matter what happens.

I'm far from toxic. R&B is toxic. Hell, go find him on Hawkeye boards and see what he says about UNI. I am far from toxic. If I was toxic I'd be a pariah from UNI fans - which I can tell you isn't the case. Lakes is a pariah. NDSU fans refuse to claim him and want nothing to do with him.

I try to drive conversation. Chances are if I don't agree with you I'm going to call you on it. I'm going to challenge you to not just blindly believe whatever you want too. I do not believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. I believe everyone is entitled to an educated opinion. If you don't want to educate your self. If you don't want to challenge yourself. If you want nothing other than just happy clapping and supporting your team (or political candidate or whatever it may be) then I'd rather not speak with you because there is nothing you can or will add to a conversation or topic to make it better.

I've said this before - there are very very very few people who want Farley to win a title at UNI more than I do. I've long been on the record that there isn't a better person to be leading UNI and lifting a national title trophy than Farley. Period. Not SS, not DM, not TA, no one, not our next coach. Literally the person I most want to see win a title at UNI is Farley. It's clear that isn't going to happen and it's clear why it won't happen.

Me pointing those reasons out and driving a topic over why it's happening isn't being toxic.

I'm sorry you're scared of having tough discussions.

I've also never said you were undeserving of being a UNI fan, but you are naive as hell. To have you - again someone who before 2011 hadn't paid more than a half second of attention to anything UNI related - come after me and try to tell me I'm a bad fan and the type of person ruining UNI I will tell you to F yourself every single damn time. You want to come at me like that and you will get 2006-2014 era clenz coming after you - the one I referenced earlier. I'm not the "biggest" or "best" UNI fan that exists, but it'll be the coldest day in hell before anyone has reason to come after me for talking about the Panthers and the way I support them. As I said, I have family history at UNI going back to before WW2 officially started. I grew up in FAR northwest Iowa - I was closer to Minnesota and South Dakota than pretty much any other towns in Iowa. Until I got to high school I went to at least 1 or 2 UNI games per year growing up. I stopped in high school due to having weights and film the morning after our football games. Is going to 1 or 2 games a year super fan status? Nope. But begging your parents to make the 4 plus hour trip every year all through elementary and middle school because even at that age you fell in love with the dome and walking around the campus (BECAUSE YOU HAD EVEN MORE FAMILY THERE) says something about creating a connection at an early age.

UNI is MY university. It is "my home" no matter where I live. UNI is the one thing that I will always view as being "my place". I don't go back to where I grew up. I don't consider that home. I live in the CR metro now. Every single day I miss Cedar Falls, I miss being able to go to campus whenever I want and just walk or sit.

To suggest anything I post is in anyway what you suggested is bullcrap.
                          Last edited by clenz; 12-13-2018, 02:43 PM.

Comment

You keep hitting on the point that I'm ruining the site and people like me are driving into the ground and that the reason traffic is down is because of me and not team performance. I haven't touched on that before but I will now

That is utter bull crap. I get it, you're an infant in UNI fandom, and specifically being fully engaged on this site.

Go back to 2005-2011 before you joined. My posting style is EXACTLY the same - hell, to be honest it's actually scaled way back. I know you don't frequent sites like AGS or CS so you don't really have a full reference, but the running joke has long been getting me involved in a discussion to take their side and just go after them. The board was busy all day every day during the 07-11 time period. Look at what was going on during that time. UNI football was in the best run in program history, UNI basketball was just really starting to ramp up and making a S16 run, volleyball was running high. Wrestling was going through it's transition to Schwab. UNIWBB was getting to it's first NCAA tournament. My posting style did nothing to drive people away. People were here because teams were winning. They wanted to talk about it.

Some of it is people have "grown out" of message boards. That happens. People that were early 20s back then are in their 30s and have families now. People in their early 30s are now in their 40s or pushing 50. Maybe message boards arent the same thing for them at the mid line point than it was earlier.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the teams are bad. Look at literally any message board when their teams aren't winning compared to when they are. They are extremely busy when winning, they get just a touch busier when things start to go wrong (see PN about 2010 through 2013) and if we reach periods of sustained issues and "down" in a program the message boards will tail off pretty damn quick.

Look where UNI is right now with athletics.

Volleyball is still rolling along like they have, but in terms of teams that drive traffic to a place like PN.

MBB:
                            This season there was a bunch of hype - probably a year too early - but there was decent traffic. Team is 4-5 at the third pole of the season. Traffic has tailed off. I haven't posted in the basketball forum in a quite a while. Can't blame lack of traffic on me over there. Maybe it's the fact the team is 4-5, coming off of the worst two year stretch in nearly 20 years where the team was, to put it bluntly, just awful.

Football:
                            Been beaten to death about 300902 times. Look at attendance. It correlates to postings on PN.

Is it my job to "protect" this site?
                            Is it my job to blindly happily clap no matter what happens.

I'm far from toxic. R&B is toxic. Hell, go find him on Hawkeye boards and see what he says about UNI. I am far from toxic. If I was toxic I'd be a pariah from UNI fans - which I can tell you isn't the case. Lakes is a pariah. NDSU fans refuse to claim him and want nothing to do with him.

I try to drive conversation. Chances are if I don't agree with you I'm going to call you on it. I'm going to challenge you to not just blindly believe whatever you want too. I do not believe everyone is entitled to an opinion. I believe everyone is entitled to an educated opinion. If you don't want to educate your self. If you don't want to challenge yourself. If you want nothing other than just happy clapping and supporting your team (or political candidate or whatever it may be) then I'd rather not speak with you because there is nothing you can or will add to a conversation or topic to make it better.

I've said this before - there are very very very few people who want Farley to win a title at UNI more than I do. I've long been on the record that there isn't a better person to be leading UNI and lifting a national title trophy than Farley. Period. Not SS, not DM, not TA, no one, not our next coach. Literally the person I most want to see win a title at UNI is Farley. It's clear that isn't going to happen and it's clear why it won't happen.

Me pointing those reasons out and driving a topic over why it's happening isn't being toxic.

I'm sorry you're scared of having tough discussions.

I've also never said you were undeserving of being a UNI fan, but you are naive as hell. To have you - again someone who before 2011 hadn't paid more than a half second of attention to anything UNI related - come after me and try to tell me I'm a bad fan and the type of person ruining UNI I will tell you to F yourself every single damn time. You want to come at me like that and you will get 2006-2014 era clenz coming after you - the one I referenced earlier. I'm not the "biggest" or "best" UNI fan that exists, but it'll be the coldest day in hell before anyone has reason to come after me for talking about the Panthers and the way I support them. As I said, I have family history at UNI going back to before WW2 officially started. I grew up in FAR northwest Iowa - I was closer to Minnesota and South Dakota than pretty much any other towns in Iowa. Until I got to high school I went to at least 1 or 2 UNI games per year growing up. I stopped in high school due to having weights and film the morning after our football games. Is going to 1 or 2 games a year super fan status? Nope. But begging your parents to make the 4 plus hour trip every year all through elementary and middle school because even at that age you fell in love with the dome and walking around the campus (BECAUSE YOU HAD EVEN MORE FAMILY THERE) says something about creating a connection at an early age.

UNI is MY university. It is "my home" no matter where I live. UNI is the one thing that I will always view as being "my place". I don't go back to where I grew up. I don't consider that home. I live in the CR metro now. Every single day I miss Cedar Falls, I miss being able to go to campus whenever I want and just walk or sit.

To suggest anything I post is in anyway what you suggested is bullcrap.

Nope. No toxicity there at all.

Relax. I tried to offer an olive branch in my last post by referring to R&B as being in his own category.

"I've also never said you were undeserving of being a UNI fan, but you are naive as hell." I may add that to my signature line!

Go Panthers!

Comment

Working...
                            X