WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Football Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Football Offseason Thread

David Braun is leaving to be the defensive coordinator at NDSU.

Great start to the 2019 season!
    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Well let's face it, DC at UNI is really a made up position anyway. I'm guessing he will get a lot more say in how to run a defense up in Fargo.
    If computers ruled college basketball the way they do football, we'd have skipped all this March Madness monotony and just waited a month for the Kansas-Kentucky title game. And watched Northern Iowa play Cornell in the Poulan Weedeater Bowl. ~ Dwight Perry The Seattle Times

Comment

Farley should get at least one "thank you" NC ring from NDSU for all of the playing & coaching talent he has provided

Comment

Losing coaches to an in conference rival isn't great, but Entz sees something in Braun that pretty much no one else does. Promoting a special teams coach to DC - when his experience is 1 year as a DL coach at UNI and 3 years at UC Davis isn't something that happens often.

He lost his job as the DL coach, got moved to special teams (which he did a good job at I think) and OLBs - and the reality is when you have LB coach in your title and your name isn't Farley or Johnson you aren't doing much.

I'm more concerned about the 5 months it usually takes to hire a new coach at UNI than actually losing Braun.

Comment

Pretty sure Braun and Entz coached together at Winona State.

Comment

Anyone have any insight on the OC job or any new staff members?

Is there any hope that our staff can be reflective enough to look at what needs to change and then implement and stick to those changes. Like taking more of a managerial role as HC and hiring and trusting those guys to follow the plan you lay out as a staff?

I'm not in any of the meetings, at any of the practices etc but it feels like Farley has his thumb on the scale too much. Maybe someone can tell me if this is true or not true other than the evidence we all see as fans on Saturday. I really think he's still the right guy for the job. He and his staff continue to recruit well. He is a "UNI" guy, face of the program guy BUT clearly there needs to be a change of some sort to push us back into being a conf. champ, national title contender.

Don't get me wrong being in the top third of the conference and perennially in the playoffs is good but i think all of us fans and certainly all the guys on the team and inside the program want more.

Comment

I've heard a few rumors

One being the OC role being filled

One being a former coach coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                I've heard a few rumors

One being the OC role being filled

One being a former coach coming back.
                care to share what those rumors are? It's winter so i'm ok with rumor and speculation.

Comment

OC was already on staff
                  Other assistant was one recently, and was victim to a house cleaning at his FBS gig he left for.

Comment

McCann and Mahaffey? i'm assuming then? would they do co - coordinators again? Did Mahaffey have the OC title when he we here previously?

IF those are real things...since nothing has been announced as far as i've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                      David Braun is leaving to be the defensive coordinator at NDSU.

Great start to the 2019 season!
                      While it sucks to lose anything to NDSU, is it okay I'm not 100% disappointed with this loss, other than the fact we probably won't have a special teams coordinator for another few years? There are several other assistants I'd be disappointed to lose.

Comment

This is a link to an article in the Fargo Forum on the connection that Entz has to Braun. I am so thankful for Coach Klieman. I hope Coach Braun is of the same quality. The coaching carousel is always turning. You guys are in a tough spot with Iowa and Iowa State that takes the fan base, where Fargo is out by itself. You have a great team and athletes. Have a great season in 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
                          McCann and Mahaffey? i'm assuming then? would they do co - coordinators again? Did Mahaffey have the OC title when he we here previously?

IF those are real things...since nothing has been announced as far as i've seen.
                          Outside of mostly being rumors that I can't confirm and won't say yes too - those names sound right.

I don't think it would shock anyone for McCann to take over. He's the logical name. He knows the players. The players love him. Honestly, the play calls in his 3 games were pretty good. Even as much as I like to nit pick, there wasn't much from those games that stood out to me as anything to worry about. I'd love to see Farley give him freedom with some stuff - but...we all know how that goes. He was also singled out as being the reason Logan Wolf stuck with UNI after the Iowa offer.

That leaves UNI with the following staff
                          Mark Farley Head Coach
                          Pat McCann Offensive Coordinator
                          OPEN Quarterbacks
                          Quentin Griffin Running Backs
                          OPEN Wide Receivers
                          Nick Danielson Tight Ends/Fullbacks
                          Ryan Clanton Offensive Line
                          Jeremiah Johnson Defensive Coordinator/Safeties
                          Bryce Paup Defensive Line
                          D.J. Vokolek Linebackers/Assistant Head Coach
                          Aairon Savage Cornerbacks
                          Open Special Teams

I won't be shocked to see McCann keep WRs. That's his specialty. I'd guess normally OC's take QBs so not sure how that will play out.
                          If Mahaffey is in the cards it will be interesting to see how he slots in. His background is TE/FB from playing days and coaching days. Danielson has done a great freaking job with those groups.
                          Given Griffin's experience I can't see him moving outside of RBs.

I would guess special teams would be assigned as a second one to someone and based on what we have open right now it would be Savage or Griffin, but he doesn't seem to have any ST experience.

On that note - spring roster and coaching staff is out.

Comment

Took a very quick peak at the roster to see any thing stuck out

1. No freshman from last year as fheir RS applied yet. Not a huge deal
                            2. Johnny Sullivan is no longer on the roster
                            3. Looks like Howell took a RS last year using the 4 game rule. Is listed as a RS Senior Senior. Odd he's listed with the RS but freshman aren't.
                            4. Martens is supposed to be in at seemster but not yet listwd. Probabaly an enrollment verification and clearinghouses thing .
                            5. There could be coaches gone we don't know of yet. Braun is still listed but he's gone. So I'll update that sheet as I see updates.

I sent a not to the athletic department saying thank you for updating so quick - given other threads on this forum I'd suggest others do the same to show appreciation in general. But especially because we never get it this early, if at all in the spring.

Was told more updates are coming .This was just step one.
                            Last edited by clenz; 01-09-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

I think Johnny might be at Grand View...unconfirmed. They had recruited him out of HS.

The only other transfer out I believe is Tyus Phillips, the OL out of Waterloo East. Looks like he headed to Iowa Western.
                              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                              X