WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Football Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the update...i hadn't even looked at the website since it gets updated infrequently. Maybe all the rumbling is sinking into the SID/Sports Marketing department.

I'm surprised but not surprised Howell is back but i feel like we know what we have with him. I feel like other QB's on the roster will pass him by but that's just an opinion from a small sample with Howell (never seemed dynamic) and no looks at any of the other guys.

I agree on McCann - i thought he did a solid job getting thrown into the deep end at the end of the year.

Comment

I think...maybe it's more hope...we are going to see some things change in the spring semester. I've a feeling that things are starting to sink in...or even get to the athletic department.

Getting an updated roster - even if not 100% completed for whatever reason - on Jan 9th is a huge improvement.

I had heard he has a wife/fiance/girlfriend that still has a year left at UNI so it makes sense he'd stick around if that is true. IIRC I had read/heard on the radio was a Business Admin and Real Estate major. It's entirely possible he's enrolled in a the MBA program.

If the Mahaffey rumor is true - the more I think about it, assuming no other changes happen - I think he ends up coaching WRs.

I think it's best the OC is in the QB room - especially with young QBs like we have. Danielson has done a great job with the TEs. I have no reason to believe Griffin isn't a good RB coach. I think Mahafffey could fit at the WR spot. He'd have McCann for guidance should it be needed. He'd also be a solid asset for Danielson, Griffin and even Clayton on the OL fronts.

You can have 10 assistants plus your HC, so there's going to be doubling up to a degree

Comment

Full roster comparison shows just 2 "unexpected" departures - already mentioned in Sullivan and Phillips.

Looks like there is going to have to be some number shifting as we have people on the same side of the ball sharing a number, but that's a spring ball/fall thing.

In the past once a person left UNI - player or staff - they were removed pretty quickly - to the point where coaches aren't even listed on archived rosters once they leave.

If updates are going to happen like this it shouldn't be too hard to track....I hope.

Comment

Just to site one example, why is Sam Ingoli, who everyone had great hopes for, listed as a SO? Didn't he redshirt last year making him an RS-F? Seems like there might be one or two more examples like that. Didn't Colton Howell graduate? He didn't get to take his RS year, did he?

Comment

It's like you haven't read the thread at all

Comment

Second possible scenario...

Danielson gets the OC job and Mahaffey comes in and takes TE/FBs.

McCann stays with WRs and gets some sort of promo.

Biqqest question would be who takes QBs?
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                Second possible scenario...

Danielson gets the OC job and Mahaffey comes in and takes TE/FBs.

McCann stays with WRs and gets some sort of promo.

Biqqest question would be who takes QBs?
                The fact the play calling duty went to McCann and not Danielson at the end of last season is telling.

there also isn't a promotion to be had for him outside of OC unless Vokolek leaves.

Vokolek is the assistant head coach along with his position. I'd struggle to believe anyone but Johnson is next in line for AHC.

It is possible there are other staff changes not known yet, but in terms of keeping the WR coach spot and getting a promotion top of that, doesn't seem likely
                Last edited by clenz; 01-10-2019, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I was wrong... Or heard and assumed wrong

Mahaffey is OC

Comment

Personally I am not a huge fan of this hire, Ryan is a great person, but personally I was hoping for outside of the box thinking.

Comment

Updated staff for 19
                      Mark Farley Head Coach
                      Ryan Mahaffey Offensive Coordinator
                      OPEN Quarterbacks
                      Quentin Griffin Running Backs
                      Pat McCann Wide Receivers
                      Nick Danielson Tight Ends/Fullbacks
                      Ryan Clanton Offensive Line
                      Jeremiah Johnson Defensive Coordinator/Safeties
                      Bryce Paup Defensive Line
                      D.J. Vokolek Linebackers/Assistant Head Coach
                      Aairon Savage Cornerbacks
                      Open Special Teams

That gives UNI 9 of 10 positions filled. It'll be odd having a QB coach that isn't the OC, but that isn't a bad thing.

I'd imagine the special teams spot gets moved to Paup or Savage

Comment

Originally posted by achrist70 View Post
                        Personally I am not a huge fan of this hire, Ryan is a great person, but personally I was hoping for outside of the box thinking.
                        I don't have an issue with it - though it isn't an over the moon feeling about it.

What I do hope is that he brings back UNI's basic offense from his time on campus, and from his quote in the press release I think that's the plan.

Hopefully that means no more zone read looks with a QB that isn't going to run. Hopefully it means a system that involved punching people in the mouth rather than not deciding if it wants to zone or smash.

Comment

i like the hire, i agree with Clenz i hope we bring back a style of play more like what he played in that focuses on running the football, play action passing and enough quarterback runs to keep people honest and occasionally move the chains. Now i want to start getting a picture of who's going to play QB... I'm personally most excited about McIlvain.

Comment

If Martens isn't the guy, I'll be surprised.

As for Mahaffey, I guess I'm whelmed. I knew Farley wasn't going outside after what he did to Joe Davis but I guess you can hope.
                            #MACtion

Comment

Is Martens on campus now? Otherwise i have a hard time picturing a true freshman who didn't participate in spring drills winning a QB competition in the fall. But if he's the real deal i guess it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                                If Martens isn't the guy, I'll be surprised.
                                As a true freshman I don’t see it happening.
                                I’d be very surprised (and equally thrilled) if it’s not Keller under center in Ames. Farley gonna Farley.

Comment

Working...
                                X