WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Football Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw McElvain play in HS and I think he completed over 60% of his passes in the CIML and did have a pretty live arm from what i remember. He was really a one man show for DM Lincoln. If he has "traditional" qb size he's probably not a kid we get to recruit but at the same time plenty of high level QB's are showing you don't need to be 6'3 -6'6 to play the position at a high level. How he has transitioned to college football is the real question. Is he accurate enough to throw into smaller windows so to speak. I hope to get a look at him in the spring game.

Agreed Clenz...all recruiting rankings are somewhat flawed...FCS level would be even worse. But it's the off-season and there's not a lot to discuss so conjecture about the 18/19 year olds coming to campus is all we have

Comment

Originally posted by 7YrsOfCollegeDownTheDrain View Post
      One thing i'm sure of is I'll attend the spring game maybe even some of the spring scrimmages.
      Do you know when the spring game is scheduled for?

Comment

I don't... haven't seen a spring schedule announced yet.

Comment

Well...now we have a QB coach. Justin Roper, played at Oregon transfered to Montana. Played in an FCS title game...looks like a good coaching resume.
          Farley recruited him when he left Oregon, per last paragraph:

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa – UNI head football coach Mark Farley Tuesday announced the hire of Justin Roper as quarterbacks coach. Roper comes to UNI from S...
          "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

A couple things I've noticed

1. He was recruited by Farley in the 05-07 timeline before Rennie existed. It was clear he wanted Roper to be the next in line after Grace. In my mind that means he, until Rennie got to campus, wanted to try to keep that type of offense around.

With Mahaffey, who played at UNI during that time frame, coming back as OC and no QB being recruited that is a running QB - and only Keller on campus - I think it's safe to assume that the running QB at UNI is dead under Farley. A guy like Grace, Sanders, Stick, etc. that can move but isn't reliant on it? Sure.

To me this is a big plus and a hire I can get behind.

BUT...ish....with me you know there is one

2. His resume reads very very very similar to Joe Davis's resume when he came in. Now, nothing about Roper's bio says he wants to play a very fast offense (though Oregon 07-2014ish certainly is that type of offense), However, his bio points out passing yards and total offense yards as things he strongly develops. There isn't much there about a run game, even during his time as an OC.

In general those are great things to read, just as they were with Davis. What I fear is that Farley is still afraid of an offense that isn't 2:1 runass and will try to reign in Roper's influence on a passing game. This is probably more paranoia from the last few years than actual founded reason to believe it.

I've mentioned this to a few others off the board, but I REALLY like our staff right now. Outside of Paup, Farley and Johnson, it is a pretty damn young staff. A staff with a hell of a lot of energy and outward enthusiasm. That's big when it comes to recruiting (see how active NDSU and SDSU coaches on on social media with getting the idea of excitement about their programs all over the place). It's big when it comes to getting fans engaged on social media.That energy translates to practice and to games. I remember the way Brandon Lynch was on social media on the the field with his DBs. It was GREAT to watch.

We have a staff with a few years together now - Mahaffey was here as a coach and player so he knows UNI. Staff cohesion should be strong. I'm relatively confident about this year.

Comment

Well...now we have a QB coach. Justin Roper, played at Oregon transfered to Montana. Played in an FCS title game...looks like a good coaching resume.

Always wonder why someone would come to UNI to be a QB coach.

Comment

i also like the staff and i'm interested to see what Roper brings to our QB's. He left Oregon and went to run Hauck's offense which wasn't a fast one read pass offense with QB run's. It seems he left Chip Kelly's offense to play a more traditional one even after a very good performance in a bowl game for Oregon. I'd guess that's because the writing was on the wall that he wasn't the guy they wanted in their system.

This team is going to need a good run game to protect an inexperience QB at least early in the year but i'm optimistic about the season.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

I would assume because it's perennially a top 25/playoff level team one level below the FBS with a good track record of advancing coaches to the next level. Even if the rumors are true that Farley can be hard to work for...

Comment

Well, getting to coach guys like Jay Johnson, Kurt Warner, Ryan Helming, Eric Sanders, Pat Grace, Eli Dunne, etc.(id also argue Sawyer pre injuries and even Rennie) certainly doesn't hurt.

I'm sure you know Warner and Dunne but I'd be shocked of you actually knew anything of the others .

It really wasn't until Bailey and Carnes that UNI had QB issues. But that's when your following of UNI football started.

But you're not every coach gets to work with guys like
                    Steele Jantz
                    Grant Rohach
                    Jerome Tiller
                    Jacob Park
                    Jared Barnett
                    Phillip Bates
                    Darius Lee Campbell
                    Trevor Hodge
                    Joel Lanning
                    Sam Richardson
                    Dominic DeLira
                    James Capello
                    Zeb Noland

That's the last 10 years of QBs at Iowa St. One can only dream of getting to work with such amazing talent compares to Eric Sanders, Pat Grace and Eli Dunne over the same time.

Hell, the only one semi decent QB on that list left after 1 season
                    Last edited by clenz; 01-23-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Also I can report Farley's coaching tree, to 7yrs point - there aren't many coaches (especially at the FCS level) with the kind of tree he has

Farley has the ability to get you places. Be it "riding his success" at UNI, to actually teaching a few things, to even just connections across the country. Farley will do 1 of 2 things for a coach

1. Get them moved it to higher and bigger job
                      2. Help them realize coaching isn't for them
                      Last edited by clenz; 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                        Also I can report Farley's coaching tree, to 7yrs point - there aren't many coaches (especially at the FCS level) with the kind of tree he has

Farley has the ability to get you places. Be it "riding his success" at UNI, to actiactu teaching a few things, to even just connections across the country. Farley will do 1 of 2 things for a coach

1. Get them moved it to higher and bigger job
                        2. Help them realize coaching isn't for them
                        The Nebraska football staff, for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Well, getting to coach guys like Jay Johnson, Kurt Warner, Ryan Helming, Eric Sanders, Pat Grace, Eli Dunne, etc.(id also argue Sawyer pre injuties and even Rennie) certainly doesn't hurt.

I'm sure you know Warner and Dunne but I'd be shocked of you actually knew anything of the others .

It really wasn't until Bailey and Carnes that UNI had QB issues. But that's when your following of UNI football started.

But you'ret not every QB coach gets to work with guys like Steele Jantz
                          Grant Rohach
                          Jerome Tiller
                          Jacob Park
                          Jared Barnett
                          Phillip Bates
                          Darius Lee Campbell
                          Trevor Hodge
                          Joel Lanning
                          Sam Richardson
                          Dominic DeLira
                          James Capello
                          Zeb Noland

That's the last 10 years of QBs at Iowa St. One can only dream of getting to work with such amazing talent compares to Eric Sanders, Pat Grace and Eli Dunne over the same time.

Not a shot at the quality of UNI QBs, but recognition of the coaching issues that overshadowed recent QBs.

Comment

Not a shot at the quality of UNI QBs, but recognition of the coaching issues that overshadowed recent QBs.
                            I didn’t read anything more in to that. I think your point was a fair one.

Also, Sanders probably had the biggest name of any of the recent players. Nothing against Rennie, Dunne, Sawyer, Grace, etc., but I can’t imagine their lineage being a big draw for a coach. Fans know those names. Prospective coaches, not so much. Warner and Helming played a long while ago, and Helming making an NFL roster was what he would’ve needed to be remembered now by someone outside of UNI.

Comment

Coach Savage (CB Coach) is no longer with the program looks like he has moved on to Georgia State per his Twitter account: We will have our 4th CB coach in as many years.

Last edited by Laurencenim2; 01-28-2019, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Pat McCann takes the WR job at Eastern Washington.

Man u hate to see that guy leave.

Looks like he's going home. He's originally from Wash and played his college ball at Western Wash.
                                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                                X