WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Football Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only count 4 preaseason Top 10 teams on our schedule plus Iowa.

I really wish we'd start aiming for a stronger SOS. The committee will really like that and definitely reward us with a seed.
    #MACtion

Comment

Schedule officially released.

We await the volleyball schedule to determine gametimes....
      #MACtion

Comment

Awful schedule as usual for the same myriad of reason we have discussed a million times.

10 win talent and our AD schedules into a 7-8 win program if we are lucky.
        UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
        iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Interesting note today related to 2020 schedule...

Weber State's starting QB the last two seasons entered the transfer portal today.
          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
            Schedule officially released.

We await the volleyball schedule to determine gametimes....
            Probably a 9am kickoff so they can broadcast a volleyball game on short wave radio.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
              Awful schedule as usual for the same myriad of reason we have discussed a million times.

10 win talent and our AD schedules into a 7-8 win program if we are lucky.
              If we are a 10 win talent team, then we should win 10 games regardless of schedule. Otherwise call it for what it is, that we are a 7 to 8 win talent team. You know the saying, you have to beat the best to be the best. If UNI can’t beat NDSU, SDSU, Idaho St., and Weber St., then we are not a 10 win talent team. I get frustrated by the loaded schedule every season, but I don’t buy into the “we have a talented team that can win it all or only lose one game all season (as long as we play below average teams).

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post

If we are a 10 win talent team, then we should win 10 games regardless of schedule. Otherwise call it for what it is, that we are a 7 to 8 win talent team. You know the saying, you have to beat the best to be the best. If UNI can’t beat NDSU, SDSU, Idaho St., and Weber St., then we are not a 10 win talent team. I get frustrated by the loaded schedule every season, but I don’t buy into the “we have a talented team that can win it all or only lose one game all season (as long as we play below average teams).
                I’m sorry but you are wrong.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

a 10-win talent team. Just like Monmouth and Central Connecticut State.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

I’m sorry but you are wrong.
                    Then explain how I am.

if UNI were in the Big south like Monmouth or Northeast Conference like Central Connecticut and played weak teams, then yes, we are a 10 win talent team. We don’t play in those conferences, we play in the toughest conference in the FCS and we are not a 10 win talent team. NDSU is.

It makes little sense to say UNI is a 10 win talent team (as long as we play an easy schedule) and keep using that mindset when UNI can’t beat top 5 or top 10 FCS schools and say that’s the reason that’s stopping them from being a 10 win team. As I said, the reality is we are a 7 to 8 win talent team. We struggle against better schools. NDSU doesn’t. That’s why they are a true 10 win talent team every year.

look, I’ll compromise a bit. We are an 8 win talent team, maybe a 9 (but with that offensive line I doubt it), with a 5 to 6 win head coach.
                    Last edited by havok58; 01-25-2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

That's just asinine.

I could point out the logic flaw in that but that's just...not correct.

Comment

Then explain how I am.

if UNI were in the Big south like Monmouth or Northeast Conference like Central Connecticut and played weak teams, then yes, we are a 10 win talent team. We don’t play in those conferences, we play in the toughest conference in the FCS and we are not a 10 win talent team. NDSU is.

It makes little sense to say UNI is a 10 win talent team (as long as we play an easy schedule) and keep using that mindset when UNI can’t beat top 5 or top 10 FCS schools and say that’s the reason that’s stopping them from being a 10 win team. As I said, the reality is we are a 7 to 8 win talent team. We struggle against better schools. NDSU doesn’t. That’s why they are a true 10 win talent team every year.

look, I’ll compromise a bit. We are an 8 win talent team, maybe a 9 (but with that offensive line I doubt it), with a 5 to 6 win head coach.
                        UNI has produced more all conference and all american players (through 2017, I haven't updated a list in a while) than any MVFC team going back to when the DSU's were added.

Don't ****ing tell me this isn't a program with 10 win talent on the field.

You don't think playing
                        AT a top 25 FBS team
                        AT the #1 team in the nation - winner of 8 of 9 national titles
                        AT the #3 team in the nation
                        AT a top 5-7 program in the FCS TWICE in the same season
                        and
                        AT a top 10 team

in the same damn season could impact wins and losses?

You don't think that having to play 3 top 10 teams in the conference every single year plus a couple fringe top 20 teams on top of it, plus an FBS impacts it?

In a vacuum where it's a 1 game season and you can go "This one game" is all that matters and then do that again later, sure.
                        When you put the accumulation of all of that on top of each other **** happens and games get lost that otherwise shouldn't.

You want to know the difference between us and SDSU - who is regularly hitting 10 wins? It's entirely the ****ing OOC. We own the H2H over SDSU since 2014. We have a better record against MVFC believe we are equal/more playoff times. Yet, over that time they have more total wins. It's not a secret why. Our OOC has consisted of playing games at Montana, at Eastern Washington, at Cal Poly, at Southern Utah, at Iowa multiple times, at Iowa State multiple times and then home games versus all of the FCS teams.

We have had one single OOC FCS game that wasn't tied to a H/H. ONE. That happened to be because our return game from Southern Utah got moved back a year because they took a buy game from Oregon State the day we were supposed to play them. We used that money to buy Hampton.

Want to know who SDSU has played while we are playing Montana, EWU, Southern Utah and Weber State home and homes??
                        Long Island home buy game
                        Drake home buy game
                        Southern Utah home buy game
                        Arkansas Pine Bluff home buy game
                        Montana State home h/h
                        Duquesne home buy game
                        Montana State away h/h
                        Drake home buy game
                        Drake home buy game
                        Cal Poly home buy game
                        Southern Utah home buy game
                        Robert Morris home buy game
                        Cal Poly home buy game
                        UW-Oshkosh home buy game

1 home and home. They played 1 game away from home, ONE, in the OOC.

The played 2 teams we also played. Notice a difference? We played them in home and homes. The bought them both times.
                        They got Drake to a 2-1 (we know we aren't getting Drake) and then they got Drake to agree to being bought out and the game in Des Moines to be moved to Brookings - making all 3 buy games.

Looking forward - which we can't do for UNI because outside of Dixie State in 7 years there isn't a ****ing FCS on the schedule yet beyond this year
                        Butler home buy game
                        Tarleton State home buy game
                        Delaware State home buy game
                        Dixie State home buy game
                        Butler home buy game
                        UC Davis home buy game

Again, we share Dixie State, but guess what the difference is - once again we had to do it as a home and home and SDSU said "We aren't giving up a home game the next year so"

You don't think it's easier to get to 10 wins playing Long Island, Drake, Duquesne Robert Morris, etc. than playing Montana, EWU and Weber State or Southern Utah?

They also don't play FBS games nearly as often. They win their 3 FCS OOC games and 6-2 in the MVC and they are are seeded with 9 wins. One win gets them to 10. Bam. 10 win talent

UNI played three times the SoS, goes 6-2 in Valley play and is stuck on Thanksgiving weekend with 7 wins. Win 1 playoff game and get sent to a top 8 seed. Bam "8 win talent"

Comment

Justin Roper...last year's QB coach...just named OC at Holy Cross.

Also had Isaac Fruechte leave to take the OC job at D2 Northern State a couple weeks ago.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                            They also don't play FBS games nearly as often.
                            Since moving up in 2008, SDSU has scheduled an FBS game in every season except one (2017). They had one FBS game cancelled due to weather (2018 at Iowa State), and they have one scheduled in each of the next 3 seasons (and perhaps beyond that, but that's as far ahead as the schedules on their website go).
                            Admittedly, I don't think they've scheduled 2 FBS games in any season, while UNI has done that twice in that span.

I suppose it is a matter of opinion, but I wouldn't consider that "not playing FBS games nearly as often".

Comment

I will say he could be wrong with that part, but what about the rest of what he said.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                                Since moving up in 2008, SDSU has scheduled an FBS game in every season except one (2017). They had one FBS game cancelled due to weather (2018 at Iowa State), and they have one scheduled in each of the next 3 seasons (and perhaps beyond that, but that's as far ahead as the schedules on their website go).
                                Admittedly, I don't think they've scheduled 2 FBS games in any season, while UNI has done that twice in that span.

I suppose it is a matter of opinion, but I wouldn't consider that "not playing FBS games nearly as often".
                                I mean that's 15% more FBS games scheduled over that period. Over a small span that doesn't equal a large difference, but that adds up over time.

Imagine UNI doing a schedule without an FBS game even one time.
                                Not only that playing every OOC game at home in that same season - two of which are buy games.

Hell, imagine a buy game at UNI....period.

Imagine UNI playing 7 regular season games at home
                                UNI got 6 this year in a 12 game schedule
                                UNI got 6 in 2013 in a 12 game schedule
                                UNI got 6 in 2008 in a 12 game schedule

Since the DSU's joined in 08 only 1 time has UNI played more than 5 home games that wasn't a 12 game schedule - 2009.

If 15% isn't statistically significant to you, then fine. We'll agree to disagree there.

Care to take a shot at anything else I've laid out at how it's asinine to ignore schedule strength as a measure of "talent". Ignoring HFA is just dumb.

This focused on FBS games, but I'd bet it's not any different in the FCS.

https://sites.google.com/site/sports...llege-football

Of the (approximately) last ten thousand games in Division I-A (FBS) college football, about 9000 which featured only D-I (FBS) schools with no lower conferences:
                                Percent Win Chance (Division-I FBS Only)

Home team won: 5,321 games (59.97%)
                                Away team won: 3,552 games (40.03%)
                                Home field advantage: 9.97% over a neutral site
                                Las Vegas bookies' home team win prediction: 5,644 games (63.61%)
                                Las Vegas bookies' away team win prediction: 3,229 games (36.39%)
                                Home field advantage: 13.61% over a neutral site
                                Given x number of points for the home team, away teams also earn x points an average of 7.55% less often.
                                Home field advantage: 7.55% over a neutral site
                                Hell, look at the win % at home vs the road for UNI. A couple years ago (I think 16 or 17) I broke down the W/L for home vs road for UNI under Mark Farley. It's something like, and I might be off a couple percent points but it's real close, 80-85% at home and 40-45% on the road.

The difference in record, team health, and playoff seeding that would make for UNI over the last 7 years isn't small.

Comment

Working...
                                X