WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Week 1 - at Iowa State***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

I have to disagree with this. Mostly just that ISU won't be the best team they play. Talent-wise across the board they absolutely are. NDSU is obviously a great team, but if those players had the opportunity to go to a power 5 FBS school, they would do it. UNI could not do anything on the ground against ISU and it took broken improvisational plays from McElvain for the offense to do anything of substance. I am very excited about what we can do this year, but to say ISU isn't the best team because of their performance week 1 I believe is silly. Didn't it seem like ISU kept the playbook pretty vanilla for this game? I feel like they were absolutely trying to save some of their plays for Iowa.
    This is incorrect on a couple of points:

1. Football recruiting is too much of an inexact science to say that teams like NDSU have a big talent gap against an Iowa St level team. Iowa State may be the best team we play, but it’s by no means a slam dunk. I’d watch out for SDSU. This year’s Minnesota team is expected to be pretty good, with a bunch of returning starters off a decent team last year. SDSU gave them all they could handle on the road. NDSU is NDSU. Like I said, it’s not a slam dunk. Iowa State probably has the best defensive front seven we’ll see. The other players....no.

2. Your vanilla thing is fine, in a blowout. ISU would be stupid to hold back anything, because there was legit danger that they lose. ISU fans were pissed that they didn’t RPO with Purdy. His legs are a weapon. It made a few of us wonder if he’s hurt, or if Campbell is really concerned about him getting hurt. That’s the only legit vanilla claim you could make.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Not sure I would even buy a beer. I am speaking for the 7,000 empty seats.
      People don’t come or not come based on whether you can slurp overpriced beer for a couple hrs during a football game. And I’ve told you a solid solution. It’s my understanding a simple psc donation gets you pregame and halftime access. And no stadium in Iowa currently sells so there’s that...right? And many families would not go if this brought morons into the dome that came just to be obnoxious which is what normally happens. And it’s not like you don’t have pregame and postgame access to drink. If it’s that important, is the game really what you are going for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

People don’t come or not come based on whether you can slurp overpriced beer for a couple hrs during a football game. If it’s that important, is the game really what you are going for?
        People aren’t going for the game alone, they’re going for the experience. Football is a social sport. Like it or not, beer is part of that. The families that don’t like that are welcome to watch NU High take on Dike in a JV game.

It’s obvious UNI needs to shake things up in order to drive attendance and interest. In business you’re either growing or dying. Some of the push back I read here about this subject makes me think some here are fine with the status quo. Status quo = dying in the business analogy.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

This is incorrect on a couple of points:

1. Football recruiting is too much of an inexact science to say that teams like NDSU have a big talent gap against an Iowa St level team. Iowa State may be the best team we play, but it’s by no means a slam dunk. I’d watch out for SDSU. This year’s Minnesota team is expected to be pretty good, with a bunch of returning starters off a decent team last year. SDSU gave them all they could handle on the road. NDSU is NDSU. Like I said, it’s not a slam dunk. Iowa State probably has the best defensive front seven we’ll see. The other players....no.

2. Your vanilla thing is fine, in a blowout. ISU would be stupid to hold back anything, because there was legit danger that they lose. ISU fans were pissed that they didn’t RPO with Purdy. His legs are a weapon. It made a few of us wonder if he’s hurt, or if Campbell is really concerned about him getting hurt. That’s the only legit vanilla claim you could make.
          I don't want to argue with Panther fans because I love the school, but I want to be realistic. Brock Purdy was the second most efficient quarterback behind Trevor Lawrence last year (who won a national championship). They played in a big time bowl game against Washington State last year and could be argued they got hosed out of that game. I absolutely agree that the Missouri Valley will be tough this year. SDSU looked great against Minnesota and should've won, but until Minnesota actually shows they are good, I am not buying it.

Your second point negates itself. His legs are a huge weapon which they didn't utilize at all. That was a big part of how ISU extended drives last year, and it didn't happen at all in this game.

I am so pumped for this year and what this team can do. Go Cats.

Comment

Originally posted by JD720 View Post

Isn't that the open end?
            Not really anymore. Though yes technically that’s the grass side. But there are new structures there and, again, thousands of students and the grass was packed. Versus had they gone the other way it was right by our main fan section and towards the much, much quieter club section.

If i were to give any benefit of the doubt I’d say there was a slight wind that would have been in a kickers face...but we had already made a 50 yarder that way earlier so...?!?

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post

I heard this too. The problem with that logic is that the same guys he thought were gassed had to go back out there immediately after the XP and run the offense again. So that argument falls flat. I wasn’t against kicking there, but I didn’t love the explanation.

Another strange coaching decision - why did we choose to play in the end with the students? This was the opposite of our (admittedly small) section that would have had the added benefit of huge areas of open seats where the club seat dullards had vacated. Not saying it had a huge effect but it added and unnecessary variable.

Im nitpicking here...I left Ames feeling good about this team. But those were some odd thoughts/decisions in the final stanza.
              I am definitely with you on the opportunity to go for 2. They were gassed, and so was the Def. Why not take a shot to win it there?

The end zone didn’t bother me as much. The wind was at their back at that end. In addition, they choose to go at the band as opposed to going at a full section of fans on the other end. Granted, I’d make the same choice you would, but arguments could be made.

My nit-pick was the play calling in the first 2 OTs. It seemed a large majority of the play calls were runs. At one point there were 3 straight that didn’t gain more than a couple yards goal. And we had 33 yards through regulation. 33! The ISU fans around me were having fun with the play calling and all the runs. Towards the end of the second it appeared we opened it up a little more and made some stuff happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

People aren’t going for the game alone, they’re going for the experience. Football is a social sport. Like it or not, beer is part of that. The families that don’t like that are welcome to watch NU High take on Dike in a JV game.

It’s obvious UNI needs to shake things up in order to drive attendance and interest. In business you’re either growing or dying. Some of the push back I read here about this subject makes me think some here are fine with the status quo. Status quo = dying in the business analogy.
                The only shaking things up needed is to get back more to winning Panther football and playing more downfield offensively. Love the effort of our young qb yesterday but his vertical really inhibits his game which affects the overall offensive philosophy. It’s not traditional UNI football and a lot have a hard time identifying and accepting the route back to greatness. I completely disagree with your analogy but to each his own

Comment

I think ISU has probably coached Purdy to run less. They have very limited options behind him. The transfers by Noland and Moore to be FCS backups has left them in a bad spot.

My opinion is that there isn't a huge talent gap between FBS and the top of the FCS... it's talent depth. having 20 extra scholarship kids in your program matters.

I didn't have problems with the play calling by UNI. You have to continue to run the ball, use that play action motion even if it yields very limited results. We used some short throws to aid what we couldn't do simply handing if off.

As for the Helmets...i liked the way the black looks. I do really think that they are trying to get that white option that Farely tweeted out to be a reality but a full set of new helmets is a $20,000 to $30,000 so the money needs to be there.

A day later i still feel really good from what i watched in person yesterday. Really quality D, Quality special teams play, and a QB that does all the things we've wanted a QB to do for a long time. I've very excited to watch them in the dome next week and ready to have a home game tailgate.

Comment

I was sitting in the South endzone. The wind was doing really weird things down there. I'm not surprised they wanted to play at the other end.

I don't know how your can be anything other than encouraged with yesterday. Iowa State is the best front 7 we'll see (Lima, Vance and Rose are all pros). We didn't get enough push on Lima to run but we were able to keep McElvain clean all afternoon.

McElvain's feel for pressure and his ability to stay downfield while he scrambles are really impressive.

Defensively, I'm struggling to see any real weakness. We got consistent pressure. Flater and Cuvelier played great. Safeties tackled well. Brown, outside of one dumb penalty, played as well as a true freshman can.

Lastly, we need to recognize how good Xavior Williams is. I'm not sure we've ever had a better defensive back. Phenomenal in coverage. Supports the run well. Lines up everywhere. He's the best D back in The Valley as a junior. He's scary good.

​​​​​
                    #MACtion

Comment

• Xavior Williams was phenomenal and dominated the football game. Was the MVP of the game for either team.
                      UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                      iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

That was a long walk to bring that post all the way back to whining about beer sales.

More ticket sales in the Dome will come from winning...and a really entertaining QB and offense.

UNI won't see a defensive front like that again. Our pocket passing and run game will look a lot different in Sept than it did today.

And we've got a D.

This team is gonna be fun. Everybody buy your tickets.
                        ... What he said.
                        "Try being more of the solution, and less of the problem."

Comment

• In the category of style versus substance...

I thought the new helmets looked great on TV yesterday.

That national TV broadcast...and our performance...were very good for UNI football.

I've seen a bunch of Twitter posts from national sports media who weren't covering the game (e.x. Holly Rowe, Pat Forde...) calling out UNI's strong showing.

Some nice recognition for the brand.
                          Last edited by Blue42; 09-01-2019, 09:14 AM.
                          Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                            In the category of style versus substance...

I thought the new helmets looked great on TV yesterday.

That national TV broadcast...and our performance...were very good for UNI football.

I've seen a bunch of Twitter posts from national sports media who weren't covering the game (e.x. Holly Rowe, Pat Forde...) calling out UNI's strong showing.

Some nice recognition for the brand.
                            And the 2nd OT touchdown was played on ESPN as the "Keeping a Play Alive" award (or something like that). Pretty cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by PantherAlum09 View Post

but to say ISU isn't the best team because of their performance week 1 I believe is silly.
                              Yeah, I'm not basing it on week 1. I'm basing in on the fact that ISU has only had about 3 above average teams in the last 100 years of football. I'm basing it on the fact we will play a team that has won 7 of the last 8 national championships or whatever later this year. I'm basing it on the fact that ISU has only been clearly better than UNI 2-3 times since UNI went DI. If every game were played in CF instead of Ames, UNI would have a winning record against ISU. A lot of people seem to be thinking UNI will be very good based on coming close against ISU. It's gonna take quite a bit more to convince me.

Is ISUs defensive front 7 very good? I wouldn't know, I watch very little FBS football and never watch ISU when they aren't playing UNI.
                              Last edited by GonzoCat; 09-01-2019, 12:58 PM.
                              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

• That ISU front 7 looked pretty good yesterday.

I'm no ISU fan...not by 1,000 miles...but that group looked legit.
                                Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Working...
                                X