WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Week 1 - at Iowa State***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

The only shaking things up needed is to get back more to winning Panther football and playing more downfield offensively. Love the effort of our young qb yesterday but his vertical really inhibits his game which affects the overall offensive philosophy. It’s not traditional UNI football and a lot have a hard time identifying and accepting the route back to greatness. I completely disagree with your analogy but to each his own
    How tall was the QB that led UNI to 2 national semifinals under Mudra?

Comment

• Or Eric Sanders

Comment

• Originally posted by UNI88 View Post
        This might be an apples-to-oranges comparison if you just looked at the QB heights as I'd bet that the heights of the O and D lines and other players have gotten taller since those days.

Comment

• Gonna guess not, but does anyone know the status of Moore?

Comment

• Looked like a shoulder separation

Shouldn't be needed until Sept 28

Rest him.

Worst case - collar bone.

Comment

• He’s an inch taller than Mike Smith or Kyler Murray. His wheels were very needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                This might be an apples-to-oranges comparison if you just looked at the QB heights as I'd bet that the heights of the O and D lines and other players have gotten taller since those days.
                Per UNI's 2006 media guide, Eric Sanders is listed as 6'2" and his O line is between 6'2" and 6'4". Our currently O line is between 6'5" and 6'9" per the athletic website. In short, the height of our lineman is getting taller.

Comment

• Sanders wasn't 6'2....

source: he spent a lot of time in my apartment in 2007.

Also he was measured at 6' flat at the NFL measuring deal

Will is listed at 5'11 but is 5'10. Source is him and he also posted a photo of him standing next to Vernon Adams who is 5'11 and he's like 99% identical to him in height. Very different physical build, but same height
                  Last edited by clenz; 09-01-2019, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• I believe you Clenz.

Heights are fudged in media guides. I just posted what UNI released in 2006 media guide for Sanders.
                    Last edited by panthergirl123; 09-01-2019, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• If anyone watched that game on Saturday and is still concerned about McElvain's height...well then I can't help you son.

​​​
                      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Height doesn't seem to bother Drew Brees or Russell Martin much.

Also it doesn't seem to help Brock Osweiler

Comment

• Glad to see the team fight hard yesterday-that tends to never be in doubt under Farley's reign.

What is concerning is that the decision making at the top is still there. Still not willing to go for the win. You have to go for 2 in that OT. Instead, Farley once again plays it safe and leans on the defense. This has happened far too often. Get a lead in a big game and go into prevent offense rather than step on the throat. Everyone made fun of the Texas State coach for taking a knee in that national semifinal, does anyone doubt that Farley would have done the same thing? He's just far too conservative. How many fake punts, surprise on-side kicks or even fake field goals have we run under Farley? Probably can count the total on one hand. Even trick plays don't exist since Victor Williams and DP Eyman graduated. Outside of that wildcat formation, which was nothing more than a direct snap to Weymiller to run with, we don't do a whole lot gimmickry. In that situation, you have to have at least one 2-point conversion play that you trust. Go for the W, the guys earned the right to try.
                          Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                          Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                          UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                            That ISU front 7 looked pretty good yesterday.

I'm no ISU fan...not by 1,000 miles...but that group looked legit.
                            They did look good, and if they’re not one of the best defenses UNI faces this season, it’s going to another rough year.

Comment

• I thought the black helmets didn’t look bad, I just like to see the team primary colors in the uniform. Sounds like with the black helmets they have to have black pants, so it seems the only purple we’ll see this year is the home jerseys. “So give us a yell, ho! The purple, black and gold, victory for UNI!”

Comment

• Originally posted by UNI88 View Post

Good point. TA rolled the pocket for him and had special protections set up. I remember Smitty having an ability to at least cut loose a fly or seam routes off play action. It’s the deep out from the pocket he had trouble with. We had far better offensive coaches and personnel at several key spots back then. Klink, Salmon, TA, etc. Had a great line. My biggest concern is having the coaches in place to maximize the skillset of the qb’s in camp & then will his size limitations hinder the upside of the offense in the passing game? I know my feelings on both issues. I certainly hope I’m wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X