WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Week 1 - at Iowa State***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by panther-state View Post
    Height doesn't seem to bother Drew Brees or Russell Martin much.

Also it doesn't seem to help Brock Osweiler
    There are always exceptions. But that also doesn’t make it any better. They play on sundays so that’s hardly a comparison anyway as they have other strengths that more than make up for their size

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
      If anyone watched that game on Saturday and is still concerned about McElvain's height...well then I can't help you son.

​​​
      I have watched football for nearly 60 years and played for a good chunk of years as well. I am in that camp of being concerned and love the kid. And I won’t be apologizing to you or anyone else for having it either.

Comment

• Originally posted by catsize View Post
        Glad to see the team fight hard yesterday-that tends to never be in doubt under Farley's reign.

What is concerning is that the decision making at the top is still there. Still not willing to go for the win. You have to go for 2 in that OT. Instead, Farley once again plays it safe and leans on the defense. This has happened far too often. Get a lead in a big game and go into prevent offense rather than step on the throat. Everyone made fun of the Texas State coach for taking a knee in that national semifinal, does anyone doubt that Farley would have done the same thing? He's just far too conservative. How many fake punts, surprise on-side kicks or even fake field goals have we run under Farley? Probably can count the total on one hand. Even trick plays don't exist since Victor Williams and DP Eyman graduated. Outside of that wildcat formation, which was nothing more than a direct snap to Weymiller to run with, we don't do a whole lot gimmickry. In that situation, you have to have at least one 2-point conversion play that you trust. Go for the W, the guys earned the right to try.
        Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill

​This team was about a tenth of a second away from recovering a fumble in the third overtime and winning. That fumble came as the defense has stuffed Iowa State on third and one. The fumble going forward is what gave Iowa State the first down. I wouldn't have been shocked to see ISU kick a FG to go to a 4th OT if that fumble didn't happen.

And again, that defense was within a fraction of an inch of winning the game for the team.

He put his trust in the strength of the program and in OT that's a smart play.

When did the offense go into prevent offense? I sure as hell didn't see it

If you told me to pick going into OT what I trusted to win that game more: the defense making a stop or the offense converting a 2 point conversion in a walk of situation I'm picking that defense every time.

The offense has no push against that front 7. Averaged 1.1 yards per rush. Almost no chance your running a 2 point conversion in. The best bet would be to run a sprint out with Will with James or McShane, but from the 2 yard line everything is so compressed there wouldn't be a ton of space a defender would have to make up.

If anyone on this forum is critical of Farley, it's been me. Yet even I don't have any real issue with that decision.
        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• So impressed with UNI yesterday, at NDSU pregame party, all eyes were on your game. Even cheering for you!!!! you wouldve been impressed. No way UNI should be an afterthought in the mvfc. good job!!
          UNI has #2 Dome in MVFC, but Ice Lounge rocks! BisoNation.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
            That ISU front 7 looked pretty good yesterday.

I'm no ISU fan...not by 1,000 miles...but that group looked legit.
            UNI had something like 3 first half rushing yards. 3. There’s your answer on whether they’re legit. It’s really kind of a front 8, since Eisworth at Safety is a really tough player as well. If that defense stays healthy it will carry ISU to some wins in Big 12 play.

Comment

• Originally posted by lakesbison View Post
              So impressed with UNI yesterday, at NDSU pregame party, all eyes were on your game. Even cheering for you!!!! you wouldve been impressed. No way UNI should be an afterthought in the mvfc. good job!!
              Butler is an afterthought. But congrats on that W.
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• https://youtu.be/ZPk8sAKJ_aY
                replay of the game in 35 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post
                  If anyone on this forum is critical of Farley, it's been me. Yet even I don't have any real issue with that decision.
                  I mean, to be fair, Farley himself questioned his own decision in his postgame interview with Gary, so I think it’s fine for us to as well.

I said it that night and still think it today...I’m fine with whatever he wanted to do. However the explanation that he looked at his team and they “looked gassed” makes the decision to go for one inexplicable. They looked gassed so you opt to make them play more football? Huh?

Comment

• Except there was a 4 minute TV timeout coming between overtimes not running a play in 40 seconds.
                    #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                      Except there was a 4 minute TV timeout coming between overtimes not running a play in 40 seconds.
                      Semantics really
                      GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• I was watching the game at a Cedar Falls restaurant and we were discussing this with the next table. UNI was down 7 with the ball in OT. If we score a TD, should we go for two? I said NO, kick the PAT. Because the worst aspect of our game to that point was running. With that, I thought our chances of making a 2pt conversion was lower than winning otherwise.

Question: when the ISU player fumbled the ball, did he have the first down? Or was it fumbled forward for the first down?

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
                          Question: when the ISU player fumbled the ball, did he have the first down? Or was it fumbled forward for the first down?
                          going off memory, I thought they had it prior to the fumble, but it would have been close.

Comment

• No. The fumble recovery resulted in the first down.

Comment

• Originally posted by sivert View Post
                              I was watching the game at a Cedar Falls restaurant and we were discussing this with the next table. UNI was down 7 with the ball in OT. If we score a TD, should we go for two? I said NO, kick the PAT. Because the worst aspect of our game to that point was running. With that, I thought our chances of making a 2pt conversion was lower than winning otherwise.

Was a half yard or so short. Hardly got to the original LOS.

The fumble going forward is what gave them the first down.

If you go to 32:53 of the replay that was posted and go in slow mo the ball is snapped from outside of the 2. The RB is stopped outside of the 2 - maybe behind the original LOS. The ball definitely lands behind the original LOS. It rolls to the nearside line and forward to the 1 just enough to be a first down.

That entire series for ISU was a series of UNI's defense nearly sealing the game.

play 1 was the 14 yard gain and was a solid play.
                              Play 2 was a shovel that Seth Thomas had to have felt graze his fingers 2 yards behind the LOS. He and Lambert stop it for a loss.
                              Play 3 was a swing to the ISU sideline that Ellerson had to be maybe a half inch from knocking down
                              Play 4 was the fumble
                              Play 5 was the TD
                              Last edited by clenz; 09-02-2019, 10:35 AM.
                              GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by clenz View Post

Talk about a mountain out of a mole hill

​This team was about a tenth of a second away from recovering a fumble in the third overtime and winning. That fumble came as the defense has stuffed Iowa State on third and one. The fumble going forward is what gave Iowa State the first down. I wouldn't have been shocked to see ISU kick a FG to go to a 4th OT if that fumble didn't happen.

And again, that defense was within a fraction of an inch of winning the game for the team.

He put his trust in the strength of the program and in OT that's a smart play.

When did the offense go into prevent offense? I sure as hell didn't see it

If you told me to pick going into OT what I trusted to win that game more: the defense making a stop or the offense converting a 2 point conversion in a walk of situation I'm picking that defense every time.

The offense has no push against that front 7. Averaged 1.1 yards per rush. Almost no chance your running a 2 point conversion in. The best bet would be to run a sprint out with Will with James or McShane, but from the 2 yard line everything is so compressed there wouldn't be a ton of space a defender would have to make up.

It went into prevent every time it ran the ball up the middle on first down for no gain rendering our offense extremely predictable with only two downs and half the field (since we had to roll out the qb). That’s when. It put one hell of a lot of stress on a 5-10, freshman qb, with an injured all american tight end already out of the game, in his first collegiate start. And on the road in a hostile environs against an in state rival
                                Last edited by Mudrafan; 09-02-2019, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X