WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Week 1 - at Iowa State***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kochrab View Post
    Well crap. Heck of a game. Had a chance to put this away with that fumble. What an effort by UNI. So much to look forward to this year. We've got a team.
    We’ve got a defense although we’ve had a lot of great ones under Farley. Upside is very limited offensively without an ability to throw from the pocket. The only chance for the offense with this personnel grouping is if the running game somehow develops tackle to tackle but that will never happen running the ball inside on first down as teams simply outman us in the box. Farley doesn’t think aggressive enough offensively to pocket throw on first so we become predictable and he goes back to his comfort level of playing field position and trying to win a pitchers dual. With wide open FCS offenses in the playoffs to go with solid defenses, we go home early again

Comment

Originally posted by sivert View Post
      McElvain did great. Great job of running to extend the play.
      Cook did great.
      Receivers did great.
      We got very little on running. ISU seemed effective on DLine.

I don’t understand why no call on the head to head that Briley Moore(?) took. I thought calling it every time it was questionable was a change for this year.
      He was hit in the shoulder

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

Should have ridden momentum and had a play motioned in from the sideline and went for two in the second ot and stepped on their neck right there
        Farley said post-game on the radio that he was seriously thinking of going for 2, but the whole possession was such a struggle that he thought the players looked gassed. Didn't have a time out either (what else is new?).

Some good exposure on "national" TV. Hoping to see Briley soon.

Comment

Overall pleased with the performance. I haven't seen stats yet. First impression is very few penalties. No stupid penalties.
          Well get something figured out to allow throwing from the pocket. There are some techniques that could be applied.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
            No other analysis is needed other than the fact that we have a good ****ing football team. Game 2 is next week, lets get after it.

What a great game. We have a QB. We have a defense. Support this team. Lets go.
            This here.

​​​​​​Will looked like a first game starting QB but still looked damn good. Eyes always downfield. That's the type of mobile QB is fans have been looking for. He's going to cause massive issues for FCS teams.

Defense gave up yards but damn they settled in and looked real good

kicker? God damn

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

We’ve got a defense although we’ve had a lot of great ones under Farley. Upside is very limited offensively without an ability to throw from the pocket. The only chance for the offense with this personnel grouping is if the running game somehow develops tackle to tackle but that will never happen running the ball inside on first down as teams simply outman us in the box. Farley doesn’t think aggressive enough offensively to pocket throw on first so we become predictable and he goes back to his comfort level of playing field position and trying to win a pitchers dual. With wide open FCS offenses in the playoffs to go with solid defenses, we go home early again
              How about you go **** yourself? Consider that.
              UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
              iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

QB gives me hope. Kicker has been found. Hopefully he can stay in pocket more often and throw down the middle against lesser competitors.

Hopefully it translates into something better going forward.

I wish UNI would have taken a deep shot after they held Iowa St on 4th down.

Debate going for 2 all day in OT. Kind of Iffy either way. I liked UNIs kicker in FG contest.

least amount of UNI fans I have ever seen at Iowa State game. I fear ticket sales at home Games will be a struggle. Which is why beer should be sold inside.
                Last edited by run&blade; 08-31-2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                  QB gives me hope. Kicker has been found. Hopefully he can stay in pocket more often and throw down the middle against lesser competitors.

Hopefully it translates into something better going forward.

I wish UNI would have taken a deep shot after they held Iowa St on 4th down.

Debate going for 2 all day in OT. Kind of Iffy either way. I liked UNIs kicker in FG contest.

least amount of UNI fans I have ever seen at Iowa State game. I fear ticket sales at home Games will be a struggle. Which is why beer should be sold inside.
                  That was a long walk to bring that post all the way back to whining about beer sales.

More ticket sales in the Dome will come from winning...and a really entertaining QB and offense.

UNI won't see a defensive front like that again. Our pocket passing and run game will look a lot different in Sept than it did today.

And we've got a D.

This team is gonna be fun. Everybody buy your tickets.
                  Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

The other young player that looked really good today...other than Will and Cook...was Omar Brown #24 at corner.

He's a big corner and he can play.
                    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

That was a long walk to bring that post all the way back to whining about beer sales.

More ticket sales in the Dome will come from winning...and a really entertaining QB and offense.

UNI won't see a defensive front like that again. Our pocket passing and run game will look a lot different in Sept than it did today.

And we've got a D.

This team is gonna be fun. Everybody buy your tickets.
                      Fact is fact. Team lost regular fans past few seasons. It shows at home and now at Iowa state where uni traditionally show up in numbers.

Look at iowa state, they bend over backwards for the fans. Ignoring open container like ragbrai does, leave and re-enter. They now are reaping the rewards.

i fear 11,000 might be a pipe dream next weekend.

Comment

Winning cures all problems. Look at SDSU. Going from a team that would have a random goat showing up on the field during the game, to packing in 15,000 - 18,000.

Comment

I left the stadium today impressed by our team all the way around. yes we need to run the ball better but that's probably the best front 7 we'll see this year. ISU's D line and LB's are really good.

McElvain was outstanding. 1st start against a quality D on the road in hostile environment and i think passed the test with flying colors. Always looking to make plays with his arm first and feet second. Looking forward to watching him next week in the dome.

As for the D...i expected them to be good but they were probably better than i thought they may be. That was a really quality effort by the D all the way around.

Let's hope Briley's not dinged up too bad and can be ready for the home opener.

Hope everyone goes and buys a season ticket. this is a team worth supporting.

Comment

As people have said, that was freaking fantastic overall. Our QB looks like a damn stud who has the ability to change where this program has been the last couple years. A mobile QB who can actually throw the ball with accuracy is pretty fun. I realize it was a good D line but he does need to not Sprint out of the pocket so quickly. He really made it tough on his o-line a couple times by doing this when he probably could have stuck in the pocket a bit more. Regardless he looks like the real deal and for his first game he did as good as you could ask if him. This team has a chance to be very good! Excited for this season!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                              Winning cures all problems. Look at SDSU. Going from a team that would have a random goat showing up on the field during the game, to packing in 15,000 - 18,000.
                              their move from grass to astroturf really hurt their goat attendance numbers.
                              especially since they also have a no re-entry policy, so the livestock can't go out and graze at halftime

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                                The other young player that looked really good today...other than Will and Cook...was Omar Brown #24 at corner.

He's a big corner and he can play.
                                Amen. He swatted away at least 4 or 5 passes on crucial downs - either attempted 1st down throws by Iowa State, or in the end zone.

Seth Thomas played well too. I had a knowledgeable Iowa State fan next to voicing his disgust at how #95 was beating his man and living in their backfield.

Comment

Working...
                                X