WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

***Week 1 - at Iowa State***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great game. Seems like the rest of the games played today are kind of a let down to watch. Looks like uni has all the pieces in place to make a good run this year and beyond.

the only negative I had is: where was the purple on the uniforms? While the helmets looked good with black matte finish, I hope the black / white / black combo was a one time deal. Let’s stick with the primary colors at home and in the road. Otherwise they may have to modify the cheer song lyrics

Comment

With black helmets you can't go any other pant since we didn't change any other part of the uniform

The white pants are only white and purple

The purple pants are only purple and yellow with a small touch of white

​​​​​​this team is locked into black pants all year
      Last edited by clenz; 08-31-2019, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by '70 Grad View Post

Farley said post-game on the radio that he was seriously thinking of going for 2, but the whole possession was such a struggle that he thought the players looked gassed. Didn't have a time out either (what else is new?).

Some good exposure on "national" TV. Hoping to see Briley soon.
        I heard this too. The problem with that logic is that the same guys he thought were gassed had to go back out there immediately after the XP and run the offense again. So that argument falls flat. I wasn’t against kicking there, but I didn’t love the explanation.

Another strange coaching decision - why did we choose to play in the end with the students? This was the opposite of our (admittedly small) section that would have had the added benefit of huge areas of open seats where the club seat dullards had vacated. Not saying it had a huge effect but it added and unnecessary variable.

Im nitpicking here...I left Ames feeling good about this team. But those were some odd thoughts/decisions in the final stanza.
        Last edited by UNI MadCat; 08-31-2019, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

How about you go **** yourself? Consider that.
          Umm. What? Wow

Comment

I couldn’t figure out why we chose to play at that end of the field either.

Comment

I don't see ISU as being significantly better than UNI considering it took a fumble forward for a first down to avoid a fourth OT and UNI came within an inch of recovering that fumble to win. But then I never have considered ISU better than UNI. Just another game like so many in the series that they win by less than home field advantage is worth. The new QB made some bad throws early, but settled down and did a pretty decent job. Wish he would give the pocket a little more time before scrambling out. If he is going to run out every down they should just use designed roll out plays rather than running for your life plays, which have much less chance of success. Pretty tough to judge based on one game whether our offense will be any better than every other year for a decade or so. Our run game was pathetic obviously. At least the coaches seemed to realize that and went to a primarily passing game, not something they've often done in the past. Defense was pretty good as expected. Anyone who thinks ISU is the best team we will face this year is dreaming.
              GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                I don't see ISU as being significantly better than UNI considering it took a fumble forward for a first down to avoid a fourth OT and UNI came within an inch of recovering that fumble to win. But then I never have considered ISU better than UNI. Just another game like so many in the series that they win by less than home field advantage is worth. The new QB made some bad throws early, but settled down and did a pretty decent job. Wish he would give the pocket a little more time before scrambling out. If he is going to run out every down they should just use designed roll out plays rather than running for your life plays, which have much less chance of success. Pretty tough to judge based on one game whether our offense will be any better than every other year for a decade or so. Our run game was pathetic obviously. At least the coaches seemed to realize that and went to a primarily passing game, not something they've often done in the past. Defense was pretty good as expected. Anyone who thinks ISU is the best team we will face this year is dreaming.
                Will’s feel for the pocket will get better with experience. Keep in mind he’s only 5’10 or so. Some of the designed rolls and horizontal throws were probably to help his sight lines as well. His vision downfield while standing in the pocket will improve too. It has to, since we’ll need to push the ball downfield vertically more effectively. All in all, it was a good first game for him in a hostile environment.

As others have said, that’s probably the best front seven we’ll see all year. At least in the top two. Give Iowa State credit, it has a lot to do with it.

Comment

This. So much this.
                  "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post
                    The people pants are only prior and yellow with s small touch of white​
                    the pants are made from people. people!

Comment

Uni ran no wildcat today. I hate the wildcat.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

the pants are made from people. people!
                        Never thought I’d see a Soylent Green reference on PN. Charlton Heston would be proud.

Comment

I have to disagree with this. Mostly just that ISU won't be the best team they play. Talent-wise across the board they absolutely are. NDSU is obviously a great team, but if those players had the opportunity to go to a power 5 FBS school, they would do it. UNI could not do anything on the ground against ISU and it took broken improvisational plays from McElvain for the offense to do anything of substance. I am very excited about what we can do this year, but to say ISU isn't the best team because of their performance week 1 I believe is silly. Didn't it seem like ISU kept the playbook pretty vanilla for this game? I feel like they were absolutely trying to save some of their plays for Iowa.

Having said all that, the defense is legit. Williams and Brown at the CB's are fantastic. I love McElvain's ability to extend plays and they will be a lot of fun to watch. I'm excited to watch this team develop as the year goes on, and hopefully Briley Moore's shoulder isn't in too bad of shape.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post

Fact is fact. Team lost regular fans past few seasons. It shows at home and now at Iowa state where uni traditionally show up in numbers.

Look at iowa state, they bend over backwards for the fans. Ignoring open container like ragbrai does, leave and re-enter. They now are reaping the rewards.

i fear 11,000 might be a pipe dream next weekend.
                            Man...it must be really hard for you to get through a 3 hour window of your weekend without a beer.
                            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

Man...it must be really hard for you to get through a 3 hour window of your weekend without a beer.
                              Not sure I would even buy a beer. I am speaking for the 7,000 empty seats.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIstudent View Post
                                I couldn’t figure out why we chose to play at that end of the field either.
                                Isn't that the open end?

Comment

Working...
                                X