WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rule of 4 - 2019 Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope we use it on McCabe. I can't imagine he breaks into the RB rotation unless an injury happens

Rima is using his and in the transfer portal (probably mentioned already in another thread).

Comment

Farley has confirmed Moore is out for the rest of the regular season at a minimum. Playoffs could still happen for him. If he plays in the playoffs it would indicate he has no intention of using his redshirt and coming back for a 5ht year - IMO

He also confirmed Bohr is done for the year with a leg/knee against WSU. He is a SR and can still RS. For depth I'd love to see both back next year.

If I had to guess I'd say Bohr is more likely to be back - assuming he still wants to play football.

Comment

Briley could still play 3 games and redshirt.

So if we don't get a bye, he could play until we qualified for semi-finals before he'd be at a decision point.

If we get a bye, it wouldn't be a decision until we qualified for the title game.

So he's a long ways from a definitive indicator of his plans for next year.
        Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
          Briley could still play 3 games and redshirt.

So if we don't get a bye, he could play until we qualified for semi-finals before he'd be at a decision point.

If we get a bye, it wouldn't be a decision until we qualified for the title game.

So he's a long ways from a definitive indicator of his plans for next year.
          other things could play a factor. If he did intend to come back next year, he might not want to rush coming back into a game if there was a re-injury risk, where as he might take that risk if he wasn't planning on returning (unless he was planning on pursuing a pro career and didn't want to risk setting that back)

Comment

Has there been any more about what the injury is that Moore suffered? No speculation, but something from Farley, Moore, the department. Mid-September, Farley said it is not a muscle tear, but that he (Farley) could not explain it (upthread, in post 12, with link to Gazette article).
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post

other things could play a factor. If he did intend to come back next year, he might not want to rush coming back into a game if there was a re-injury risk, where as he might take that risk if he wasn't planning on returning (unless he was planning on pursuing a pro career and didn't want to risk setting that back)
              I'm sure he's planning on pursuing a pro career.

​​​​​​Might happen...might not...but I'm sure he's gonna take a shot.

Just a matter of when...next year or another year later?
              Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

I'm sure he's planning on pursuing a pro career.

​​​​​​Might happen...might not...but I'm sure he's gonna take a shot.

Just a matter of when...next year or another year later?
                Getting hurt in the first game of the year does nothing good for his NFL draft stock. There are a few upper level guys that have nothing to gain by coming back if they have eligibility (Noah Fant, David Montgomery). For the 95% plus of the rest of the NFL prospects, they need the tape and playing experience. Moore is definitely in the need more playing time category, particularly against FBS teams and one on one matchups against FCS level NFL prospects on defense. I hope for his sake and the team’s that he skips this year and comes back.

Comment

Briley just confirmed via Twitter that he is redshirting and will be back at UNI next year. He also did not rule out playing up to 3 more games this season.

Brutal blow for this year, but will be an amazing addition to next year’s squad.
                  UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                  iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post
                    Briley just confirmed via Twitter that he is redshirting and will be back at UNI next year. He also did not rule out playing up to 3 more games this season.

Brutal blow for this year, but will be an amazing addition to next year’s squad.
                    Fractured coracoid and scapula.

The content of Moore's tweet with some background added, via DMRegister:

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

Fractured coracoid and scapula.

The content of Moore's tweet with some background added, via DMRegister:

I guess Farley is technically correct. a shattered (shadoobie) shoulder is indeed not a muscle tear.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
                        I guess Farley is technically correct. a shattered (shadoobie) shoulder is indeed not a muscle tear.
                        All over ... Manhattan.

That sounds worse than fractured. Not sure why Farley was so cryptic when asked ... oh, nevermind.
                        Last edited by ronfitch; 10-11-2019, 02:19 PM.

Comment

The coracoid process is part of the scapula.

Comment

OP Updated through game 6

The following players are "out of games". Their next play ends their ability to redshirt
                            Micah Mayberry Jr.
                            Nick McCabe Fr.
                            Roosevelt Lawrence Sr.
                            Joe Friedrich Sr.
                            Jevon Brekke So.

Brekke has started all of the games he has played in
                            Roosevelt has seen significant PT/started in his 4 games. I'd guess he has no idea of redshirting and the two games he missed were injury related, which aren't serious injuries.
                            Friedrich long snaps so I'd guess he isn't a concern as far as keeping the redshirt
                            Mayberry has seen significant PT. The way players rotate back there I'd guess he won't redshirt
                            McCabbe might have been a RS candidate, however, Soko tore his achillies so I'd guess he will get the 3rd RB snaps the rest of the year.

It's clear that Farley has no interest - at least through 6 weeks - in using freshman on special teams or in spot plays to get field experience and use 4 games. That could change with teams like Missouri State, Indiana State and Western Illinois coming up, ISUb and WIU being at home specifically
                            Last edited by clenz; 10-16-2019, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Updated through USD

Mayberry, Lawrence and Brekke all lost their RS last week against USD. None of these is a surprise.

We did get our first new entrant of the season from the true freshman class other than McCabe- Caleb Lomica.

The following lose their RS with the next snap played
                              Nick McCabe Fr.
                              Joe Friedrich Sr.

The following can play in 1 more games and maintain RS
                              Hezekiah Applegate Sr.

The following can play in 3 more games and maintain RS
                              William Blaser Jr.
                              Briley Moore Sr.
                              Caleb Lomica Fr.

The following are redshirt eligible and won't play another game this regular season
                              Tristan Bohr Sr. 4 games played - injury
                              Jalen Rima Sr. 4 games played - transfer portal
                              Briley Moore Sr. 1 game played - injury potential playoff return but has announced he will be back in 2020

Comment

Updated through MSU

Joe Friedrich lost his RS last weekend. Not a shock as he's the primary LS.

The following lose their RS with the next snap played
                                Nick McCabe Fr.

The following can play in 1 more games and maintain RS
                                Hezekiah Applegate Sr.

The following can play in 2 more games and maintain RS
                                William Blaser Jr.

The following can play in 3 more games and maintain RS
                                Caleb Lomica Fr.

The following are redshirt eligible and won't play another game this regular season
                                Tristan Bohr Sr. 4 games played - injury
                                Jalen Rima Sr. 4 games played - transfer portal
                                Briley Moore Sr. 1 game played - injury potential playoff return but has announced he will be back in 2020

We are entering the time of year, and part of the schedule, where if Farley wants to start using games available to freshman it would happen.

4 games left meaning freshman could play in every single game. That won't happen as we have 2 top 10 match ups left that won't really be "empty the bench" situations. Not only that they are road games so even using them as a short rotation spot or special teams won't happen due to reduced travel squad sizes.

We do, however, have two of the worse teams in the conference left on the schedule at home in WIU and ISUB.

WIU might be the worst team in the country, and as the final game of the season, be an early empty the bench game.

Comment

Working...
                                X