WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NDSU v UNI 2019 LETS GET IT ON!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
    The game was a lot closer than the final score made it appear and turned on 5 plays. The two NDSU running touchdowns late in the 4th with game out of reach were meaningless, our defense just laid down for them. Shoe on the other foot we know UNI wouldn't even try to score in that position. The two long pass touchdowns where we completely blew coverage, the dropped easy touchdown pass and the two medium range FGs missed by a kicker who had missed nothing all year were the difference makers in what should have been a very competitive game. I don't know what the problem is, defense really let us down for a change. Agree that we are a good but not great team, probably top 15 FCS. Also agree we will not be great again without changes, we aren't even striving for greatness.

NDSU is a lot better than UNI. They're also a lot better than the rest of FCS and probably 80% of FBS.
    UNI needs to win at SDSU or this program is still spinning tires and slowly rolling back into the crapper IMO.

Comment

The game was a lot closer than the final score made it appear and turned on 5 plays. The two NDSU running touchdowns late in the 4th with game out of reach were meaningless, our defense just laid down for them. Shoe on the other foot we know UNI wouldn't even try to score in that position. The two long pass touchdowns where we completely blew coverage, the dropped easy touchdown pass and the two medium range FGs missed by a kicker who had missed nothing all year were the difference makers in what should have been a very competitive game. I don't know what the problem is, defense really let us down for a change. Agree that we are a good but not great team, probably top 15 FCS. Also agree we will not be great again without changes, we aren't even striving for greatness.

NDSU is a lot better than UNI. They're also a lot better than the rest of FCS and probably 80% of FBS.
      Absolutely have to disagree that the defense let us down. The defense was holding its own given it was dealing with a team on a 26 game winning streak. They were gassed in Q4.

The UNI offense had like 18 running yards in the first half. It's pretty much impossible to win against a high caliber team if your offense is one dimensional. Missed FGs and dropped TD passes suck the air out of everything.

The one bright spot in this is that McElvain is a hell of a QB. Find him a OL that can run block, and his life will be immensely easier.

Farley needs to ride off into the sunset graciously...

Comment

Like I said, I'm not talking about qtr 4, the game was over already when they gave up the last 2 TDs. I'm talking about the two long touchdowns where no defender was within 10-15 yards of the receiver. NDSUs first and third TD, when the game was on the line. The defense let us down. Of course the offense let us down as well, but we expect that even while we're not happy about it. I don't know what to say about the kicking, everybody has a bad day I guess.
        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

We just played the #1 team in the country and there are 4 posts today. Sad statement on the state of UNI football.

Comment

I am guesing UNI would have kneeled the ball 3 straight downs and punted. Both were runs that the backs took to the house over 30 yards. Good Grief

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
              I agree. Listening to him on the postgame was not encouraging.
              Can you elaborate? I did not listen.
              "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

The game was a lot closer than the final score made it appear and turned on 5 plays. The two NDSU running touchdowns late in the 4th with game out of reach were meaningless, our defense just laid down for them. Shoe on the other foot we know UNI wouldn't even try to score in that position. The two long pass touchdowns where we completely blew coverage, the dropped easy touchdown pass and the two medium range FGs missed by a kicker who had missed nothing all year were the difference makers in what should have been a very competitive game.
                This kind of thinking / excuses could apply to every team that lost a game “it was a close game except for this...”. The NDSU kicker missed his first FG of the year too. I’m sure there were plays that the NDSU offense and defense didn’t take advantage of. I know there are a number of games UNI won by a margin larger than what the game should have been. Moral victories are nice for some (ISU),but UNI was beat by a far better team, again. The defense got tired because the offense couldn’t stay out on the field. NDSU is at another level then the rest of the FCS schools. Hopefully UNI will regroup and perform better next week. We all know changes need to be made at the top to actually make a conference title run, it’s just a matter if Harris and above realize it. Otherwise UNI will be a 3rd to 5th place team with a first round playoff game.

Comment

I'm guessing if you gave Farley an extra $1.7 Million per year for his budget and a sold out Dome every weekend, the results would look a lot different.

Frankly, we've gotten this wrong guys. I'm not sure it's Farley. It's administration. The downward trajectory of UNI Football correlates damn near directly to the resignation of Rick Hartzell and back to back TERRIBLE AD hires. Football is, by far and away, more affected by administration than any other sport on roster size alone.

I'm to the point where we shouldn't be comparing any FCS team to NDSU. They've moved past everybody in every aspect and, good for them, I guess.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by Logicfan View Post

I am guesing UNI would have kneeled the ball 3 straight downs and punted. Both were runs that the backs took to the house over 30 yards. Good Grief
                    I had no problem with those TDs. You have a big lead, you put in your backups and run the ball to keep the clock moving. Can you blame the backup for taking it to the house when he gets the opportunity? It would be another thing if it was the starters or they were flinging the ball all over the place (or faking field goals & other trick plays ).

Comment

My issue with Farley's post game comments is that he is clearly fixated so much with defense that he doesn't see the bigger picture.

He essentially said the flaw in the game was the D didn't stop the rush.

The D had you in the game at halftime with a chance to score in 3Q and take the lead.

To beat NDSU, your O has to sustain drives and score points. Once that stalls, the D wears down and the end is near.

The O needed to hold on to the ball and connect on opportunities. If they do that we have a chance in the 2nd half.

NDSU does a great job of keeping pressure off their D by controlling the ball and putting points up.

Our offensive inconsistency puts our D up against the wall too often.

And in the last 7 years...no one has survived that vs NDSU.
                      Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                        I'm guessing if you gave Farley an extra $1.7 Million per year for his budget and a sold out Dome every weekend, the results would look a lot different.

Frankly, we've gotten this wrong guys. I'm not sure it's Farley. It's administration. The downward trajectory of UNI Football correlates damn near directly to the resignation of Rick Hartzell and back to back TERRIBLE AD hires. Football is, by far and away, more affected by administration than any other sport on roster size alone.

I'm to the point where we shouldn't be comparing any FCS team to NDSU. They've moved past everybody in every aspect and, good for them, I guess.
                        I don't know why this $1.7 million is magically why NDSU is better. I believe the NDSU D-coordinator was a hire that this board was happy to see go. A direct quote from this board on 01/09/2019

"A guy that we took the DL away from after one year in favor of a volunteer assistant and reassigned to special teams and you hired him as your DC with a first year head coach.

I'm sure he's a fine coach but it seems like a stretch that he's ready to be a DC."

Comment

He makes an entire argument based on funding and administration, and you go back to a coaching hire and how some here felt about that. Are you suggesting it's purely coaching hires that are sustaining NDSU's run? To pretend that the kind of money he's talking about doesn't have a huge impact at this level is being intentionally (or unintentionally) ignorant. It is a huge reason they are head and shoulders above everyone else right now. Not their fault, more power to them - but let's stop being disingenuous that it's not an enormous factor.

BC is absolutely correct: If UNI had that kind of money to affect recruiting and promotion of the program, coupled with the outstanding work of a solid A.D., we might not even be having this discussion right now. Ask the New England Patriots if players or coaches win championships or if organizations/cultures do. You can win a title or two with some deficiencies, but to win MULTIPLE titles spread across YEARS (like New England, NDSU), the organization/culture is everything.
                          Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                          Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                          - George Halas

Comment

Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Can you elaborate? I did not listen.
                            I just feel like his postgame tone has changed. To me he sounds defeated. Maybe it's just me reading into things based on my thoughts and perspective.

Gary asked him what the difference was with the run defense in the second half and he basically said he had no idea.
                            Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Money and culture are fine for explaining North Dakota State's rise to power, but they don't explain the other teams that have passed us by and past us by and beaten us in recent years.
                              Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post
                                Money and culture are fine for explaining North Dakota State's rise to power, but they don't explain the other teams that have passed us by and past us by and beaten us in recent years.
                                That's more on Farley and his unwillingness to change. He's a dinosaur. Good defensive coach, no clue offensively (which wouldn't be a problem if he'd let an o-coordinator do their job).
                                Give us a yell, HO! The purple and the gold
                                Victory for U-N-I!

Find out what the other team wants to do, then take it away from them.
                                - George Halas

Comment

Working...
                                X