WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNI can’t afford “buy games”?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
    So Drake will not do a 2 for 1?

i would think one hone game against UNI would draw more fans than 2 or 3 games against anybody else Drake could schedule.

might as well bend over and play two power 5 games a year vs flying out west.
    Drake wants less than zero to do with UNI. They (I guess I don't know about under Harris) got a contract from Dannen every single season for a buy game, a H/H and 2/1. They rejected all of them ever year but have played WIU, USD (2 or 3 times) SDSU 3 times in Brookings and allowed this years game to be moved from Des Moines to Brookings, UND (2 or 3 times) and I think Indiana State over the last 6 or 7 years.

If it is 100% about money, like he claims, then play a second FBS game. We get paid travel and a pay check on top of it for that. Idaho State isn't paying for the travel to go to Pocatello.

It's also not about making the $200k back for an ROI. You need to make the difference back between cost of the game and flying to the west coast for 3 days
    Last edited by clenz; 12-02-2019, 09:12 AM.
    GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Drake gets exposed as a joke when they play UNI is my guess as to why they don’t want to play them.

Comment

Drake gets exposed as a joke when they play UNI is my guess as to why they don’t want to play them.
        That's my guess as well.

I remember a couple years back one of their associate AD's made a joke at the expense of UNI football and how they own the all time series lead against UNI and it didn't go over well. Drew a ton of backlack from UNI fans/alumni about how big a joke their program is. Box scores from every game since 1985 showing an average score of something like 45-6 in favor of UNI. Former players like Justin Surrency, who is DSM media, even got involved

By not playing us they can win a bunch of PFL games (in the rare case they do) and go "We are the same level as UNI and winning just as many games, plus we own the H2H so we are a better program."

It's a strategic veil they try to keep up
        GO PANTHERS!!!!!!!

Comment

Last time drake and uni played the morning show on Kxno said they thought it would be a competitive game. I called in and said “you have got to be kidding me, Drake football is a joke”.

final score was 45-14.

drake likes their mirage.

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

That's my guess as well.

I remember a couple years back one of their associate AD's made a joke at the expense of UNI football and how they own the all time series lead against UNI and it didn't go over well. Drew a ton of backlack from UNI fans/alumni about how big a joke their program is. Box scores from every game since 1985 showing an average score of something like 45-6 in favor of UNI. Former players like Justin Surrency, who is DSM media, even got involved

By not playing us they can win a bunch of PFL games (in the rare case they do) and go "We are the same level as UNI and winning just as many games, plus we own the H2H so we are a better program."

It's a strategic veil they try to keep up
            This is exactly right. Drake has this delusional superiority complex over UNI that they can't allow to be broken by falling behind in the all-time series. Heck, even last year when they tied for first they had fans claiming it proved how much better Drake was as a basketball school than UNI. What with their 5 winning seasons in the last 30 years and all.

Comment

They’ve been a joke for decades

Comment

Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                The only thing I can see that as is Harris is saying it cost $200K NET, not $200K just to pay for Hampton show up. Honestly, I don't know if that is really what he is saying or not.

I would really like to have a full on public discussion of entire scheduling strategy. Quite a few other schools seem to have figured out this problem. Why is UNI unique in this area?
                You really don’t understand the financial issues facing FCS athletics and how it affects UNI football specifically in this state. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by DownGoesKansas View Post
                  Harris appears to have started the wining portion of his tenure
                  If you aren’t part of the budget discussion with UNI admins and the iowa bor then you have no idea

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

If you aren’t part of the budget discussion with UNI admins and the iowa bor then you have no idea
                    The BOR ordered UNI to play road games against the Big Sky Conference?
                    UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                    iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

I'm not saying it is easy or he is wrong. Just recent quotes come off in a very bad way when you combine with prior year quotes. Might be nothing other than poor communication

Comment

He worked for Jamie Pollard for a decade and, apparently, had his eyes and ears closed the entire time. It's truly amazing.

Jamie is going to build a half billion dollar entertainment district and David can't build a conference room. Jamie shouts about the virtues of Iowa State from every microphone and mountaintop he can get his hands on and David can't get anyone excited about UNI Athletics when he's on the radio with UNI's biggest and longest term cheerleader. Jamie is constantly talking about raising money and expanding the Iowa State fan base and David chastises his donor base for not caring or giving enough.
                        #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post
                          He worked for Jamie Pollard for a decade and, apparently, had his eyes and ears closed the entire time. It's truly amazing.

Jamie is going to build a half billion dollar entertainment district and David can't build a conference room. Jamie shouts about the virtues of Iowa State from every microphone and mountaintop he can get his hands on and David can't get anyone excited about UNI Athletics when he's on the radio with UNI's biggest and longest term cheerleader. Jamie is constantly talking about raising money and expanding the Iowa State fan base and David chastises his donor base for not caring or giving enough.
                          Agreed. It was a very bad look for Mr Harris.

Comment

I would love to see more on the $200k claim for a buy game. It might hurt Cole’s relationship with the AD, but it’d be great if he could get the contracts and travel costs through open records requests. Would be interesting to see if the $200k is an outlier, which I’d guess it is.

Comment

Originally posted by FOTY View Post
                              I would love to see more on the $200k claim for a buy game. It might hurt Cole’s relationship with the AD, but it’d be great if he could get the contracts and travel costs through open records requests. Would be interesting to see if the $200k is an outlier, which I’d guess it is.
                              I'd also like to see what NDSU, SDSU, and YSU are paying their cupcakes.
                              Selling a lot of old UNI stuff here: http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=65762

Comment

Originally posted by TravelingPanther View Post

I'd also like to see what NDSU, SDSU, and YSU are paying their cupcakes.
                                . Just a peek
                                Idaho will host the Drake Bulldogs at the Kibbie Dome in Moscow, Idaho, on September 17, 2022. Idaho will pay Drake a $250,000 guarantee for the game, according to the copy of the contract.

Comment

Working...
                                X