WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offseason -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavior Williams will be entering the transfer portal to still play fall football and still have the spring to prepare for the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by panther-state View Post
      Xavior Williams will be entering the transfer portal to still play fall football and still have the spring to prepare for the draft.
      That stinks. If he can’t catch on with a team, do you think he’ll come back and play or will he focus on the draft?

Comment

• Originally posted by panther-state View Post
        Xavior Williams will be entering the transfer portal to still play fall football and still have the spring to prepare for the draft.
        My guess is that he won’t be the only guy doing this. There are three others on the team who are legit NFL prospects to varying degrees, but prospect is the key word. All of them really needed another season to help their chances. I can’t blame Williams for this given the circumstances.

Comment

• Does Ray Buchanan, Jr. have a problem with the program? I saw him tweet this when Brown, Williams and Smith put their names in the transfer portal:

"And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

• It will be interesting to see what happens when every other conference postpones Fall football. Will UNI get the guys who've said they want to come here? And will we keep ours who've entered the Transfer portal.

Comment

• I know during "normal" times, once someone adds their name to the transfer portal, their former team more or less cuts ties with them.
              But these are not normal times, and I would hope that programs exhibit more common sense and take the extenuating circumstances into consideration.
              Student Athletes that put their name in the portal because they are wanting to play fall football but UNI has evidently canceled their fall season (or postponed it to the spring) should be welcomed back to the program (should they want to return) if it turns out that there will be no fall football anywhere (or if they are unable to get on to the roster of the few schools that might have a fall season).
              Of course it is also possible that these players wouldn't have any interest in remaining here for a spring season anyway, so who knows.

Comment

• If all football moves to the Spring, NFL draft will get pushed back too.

Comment

• Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                  Does Ray Buchanan, Jr. have a problem with the program? I saw him tweet this when Brown, Williams and Smith put their names in the transfer portal:

https://twitter.com/RayBuchananJr/st...382034432?s=19
                  Unfortunate look that Briley Moore "liked" that tweet, too.
                  "...the Northern Iowa men's basketball team reached the ultimate highs before hitting a devastating low. Unexpected success, followed by unimaginable failure. And they owned it -- all of it -- for the world to see. Like men. Like leaders. Like champions -- in a way no tournament bracket could ever define."

Comment

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

Unfortunate look that Briley Moore "liked" that tweet, too.
                    At this level of athletics, it's extremely competitive to even get on the field and there are kids who don't quite reach the level of success they were hoping for. Happens everywhere.

I recall Ray Buch didn't play as much as I expected early on. Got some PT late in his career and played well as I recall, but I'm sure he wanted more of a starting role.

I don't know anything specific on his situation, just conjecture.

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• "Feldman: Spencer Brown stood out to Northern Iowa, so he’ll stick it out there"

From the article:

"The towering Brown, who also is high on NFL scouts’ lists, noticed a wave of followers showing up in his Twitter account after the Panthers’ program received the devastating news. The new followers included coaches from Minnesota, Iowa State, LSU, Baylor and Kansas. A few reached out through direct messages expecting that Brown was about to enter the NCAA transfer portal. After all, if Brown had any hopes of playing football this fall, wouldn’t that be his only shot?

Thanks but no thanks was Brown’s answer. He posted a more thorough explanation on his Twitter feed: 'I am not going to let someone else reap the benefits of what UNI did for me,' he wrote. 'I did not want to go somewhere and be under a system of guys that didn’t like me from the start. I’d never do that.'"

Entire read:
                      https://theathletic.com/2015210/2020...raft-prospect/
                      "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                      X