WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Football Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Football Season?

I’ve read some speculation lately on the viability of the 2020 season. I’ve heard some schools have cancelled all on campus activities before August 1st, meaning either a delayed start, or no season period, is looming as a possibility. I also read an NFL writer’s prediction that the league would figure out a way to play, but that college and high school football would probably be severely curtailed or cancelled.

What’s the board’s take on this?

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

That it freaking sucks...but I'll be damned if I'm going to put other people's lives at risk just to be entertained by a game.

Comment

I think we have games as scheduled. The question for me is crowds.

I can't imagine that we won't be at a point where we can have the 300-ish people in stadiums that it would require to have games played.
      #MACtion

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

I can't imagine that we won't be at a point where we can have the 300-ish people in stadiums that it would require to have games played.
        I tend to agree. It’s hard to process a worst case for football like that this far out.

This whole thing opens up other problems though. Hypothetically, if there were no or diminished football ticket/concession revenue, how would it effect all the non-revenue sports?

Comment

Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

But is it economically worth it to hold games with zero ticket revenue?
          the P5's have lucrative enough media contracts that it might make more financial sense, but does the MVFC (and/or UNI) have media contracts in place that bring in significant revenue to cover the expenses (and health risks) of holding games?

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
            But is it economically worth it to hold games with zero ticket revenue?
            the P5's have lucrative enough media contracts that it might make more financial sense, but does the MVFC (and/or UNI) have media contracts in place that bring in significant revenue to cover the expenses (and health risks) of holding games?
            Of course it is. Booster clubs have to have something to fund raise off of. Media exposure still matters. Ad revenue is still in play.

The biggest thing is that the SAs deserve to play.
            #MACtion

Comment

I’ve heard that once summer starts, with the high temps, the virus will go away. So I’m confident of the football season beginning on time.

as for the ticket revenue, even though the Booster club is in play, will the business donors want to pay full price for advertising in the Dome if there are no fans to see it? It’s not as if the televised games give them a lot of exposure. And will the season ticket holders be refunded their money, or ask that it be donated to the PSC?

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post
                I’ve read some speculation lately on the viability of the 2020 season. I’ve heard some schools have cancelled all on campus activities before August 1st, meaning either a delayed start, or no season period, is looming as a possibility. I also read an NFL writer’s prediction that the league would figure out a way to play, but that college and high school football would probably be severely curtailed or cancelled.

At the University of Minnesota, it was officially announced this afternoon that there will be no on-campus instruction this summer for any of the five campuses. I know of a couple of other schools in the upper Midwest sitting on their announcement for now, from talking with colleagues.
                "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Originally posted by ronfitch View Post

At the University of Minnesota, it was officially announced this afternoon that there will be no on-campus instruction this summer for any of the five campuses. I know of a couple of other schools in the upper Midwest sitting on their announcement for now, from talking with colleagues.
                  I think we all know one very well which is sitting on the same announcement...

Comment

Originally posted by havok58 View Post
                    I’ve heard that once summer starts, with the high temps, the virus will go away. So I’m confident of the football season beginning on time.
                    That is hopeful thinking. I heard a reemergence of the crud could happen in the fall. I hope not.

Comment

Originally posted by beef50677
                      There's a whole host of people who've already been sick and beaten this thing. Maybe I'm green to how this works, but why isn't there a campaign to get these people together and collect plasma or the dead virus from their bodies and start cranking out vaccines or, at least, a stop gap to one?
                      All of these things are being worked on. It takes close to 18 months to get a vaccine, you cant just inject everyone without knowing long term effects.

Comment

How do you know the long term effects? You have to try them. If people are on their death bed, what's the difference? If/when I contract this thing, they can use me like a freakin' guinea pig. Even if it wouldn't save me. If it would help them figure out how to beat this thing, I'm for it.
                        Great - so they create something that saves 75 out of 100 people.

It also kills the other 25

That's....not worth it.

That's why testing is a thing.

Feel free to contact one of the places testing vaccines telling them you want to be given COVID-19 and used as a test subject. They may take you.

Back in December and January a lab in England was paying people 5K to get infected with it and live in their lab for the duration.

Comment

The problem is that you run into a host of issues mostly to do with the FDA. However I'm optimistic since the FDA has been accelerating approvals for testing and once a proven vaccine is developed I'm sure it will be fast tracked but the clinical trials will take some time.

Comment

How do you know the long term effects? You have to try them. If people are on their death bed, what's the difference? If/when I contract this thing, they can use me like a freakin' guinea pig. Even if it wouldn't save me. If it would help them figure out how to beat this thing, I'm for it.
                            You should be a doctor

Comment

I think there is a good chance of some football.

if college doesn’t allow campuses to open in the fall than obviously there will be no football and likely no basketball.

at some point the discussion will need to be had that discusses if the cure is worse than the disease. I don’t know when that time would be but the current things can’t go on forever.

a vaccine is no guarantee.

Comment

Working...
                              X