WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Football Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

First off, people are chomping at the bit to get out of their house. Major golf events have already been announced and mlb is discussing a condensed schedule this summer without fans. Viewership would be through the roof with no sports on tv for the last couple months. People are starved for it. In person would be highly anticipated although crowds wouldn’t likely take time to round back into form. All walks of life will likely follow the same pattern. From weddings to restaurants to anything involving crowds. Some won’t hesitate while others will take a wait and see approach. Some likely based on health risk and personal situation. Some will wear masks while others will act like nothing ever happened.
    I’m sorry do you think you “got me” on this one? None of what you say has anything to do with UNI nor does it consider the final implications for FCS level football. I can guarantee viewership would not be “through the roof” for UNI vs Idaho State.
    Last edited by UNI MadCat; 04-22-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNIdad View Post

Wouldn't it be amazing if the other state teams needed to use the UNI-dome for their games!
      Kind of doubt they would. Football outside in November in Iowa probably wouldn't be that much different than football in January and February. Sure there would be some exceptions but otherwise there isn't going to be a whole lot of difference. The real problem would be logistics. Maybe you have a basketball game scheduled for Saturday but now there's a home football game.
      "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post

Kind of doubt they would. Football outside in November in Iowa probably wouldn't be that much different than football in January and February. Sure there would be some exceptions but otherwise there isn't going to be a whole lot of difference. The real problem would be logistics. Maybe you have a basketball game scheduled for Saturday but now there's a home football game.
        That is highly debatable lol. There's a hell of a difference between 30 degrees and 0 degrees with 30 mph winds. There's cold, then there's bone-chilling. Not saying they wouldn't "tough it out" but I'm certainly not gonna complain about playing in the dome if they push it all back.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
          Kind of doubt they would. Football outside in November in Iowa probably wouldn't be that much different than football in January and February. .
          Uh...what?

Using Des Moines - Drake and an outdoor stadium - average high in November is 48* with an average of 3* of snow

January average high is lower than the average low in November with 3 times the amount of snow as November.

How many snow days/late starts/early outs do schools have in November? I'd bet the average is less than .5. Snow days in January is probably 6-8? By time the time you put wind chill in there you're look at temps, as we know, 30 below zero being relatively normal.

That might happen once every 4 or 5 years in November, if that. To say there isn't any difference is just silly.

You also have teams in places like Montana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Colorado, South Dakota, Nebraska, Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan, etc. that play outside.

Comment

SEC will lead the way on football. They will be the first to have fans in the stands. They are the early states in opening backup so it only makes sense they will be first in football.

I would sign a waiver and wear a mask to watch UNI. Don’t sell concessions to help cut down on the risks.

tailgate in groups of 10 or less. Individuals need to use common sense and not depend on the government to help them defeat their own stupidity.

Unless you are willing to stay locked down until their is a vaccine you will have to take some risk. Just as you do when you drive a car or ride a bike in traffic.

Comment

I saw a Facebook post that the Iowa AD said football’s prep for the season will start June 1 as scheduled. If true, that’s easily the most positive thing I’ve heard about NCAA football in a while. We’ll see.

Comment

That was the UI president saying June 1, not the athletic director, as he addressed the Board of Regents after revealing UI expects $77 million loss from COVID-19 situation. UNI is expecting $28 million loss and ISU $89 million. Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by clenz View Post

Uh...what?

Using Des Moines - Drake and an outdoor stadium - average high in November is 48* with an average of 3* of snow

January average high is lower than the average low in November with 3 times the amount of snow as November.

How many snow days/late starts/early outs do schools have in November? I'd bet the average is less than .5. Snow days in January is probably 6-8? By time the time you put wind chill in there you're look at temps, as we know, 30 below zero being relatively normal.

That might happen once every 4 or 5 years in November, if that. To say there isn't any difference is just silly.

You also have teams in places like Montana, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Colorado, South Dakota, Nebraska, Maine, New Hampshire, Michigan, etc. that play outside.

Exactly. If games are going to be played in Iowa in February, the dome is "the place" to do it. The only place when the temps drop.

It is uncommon to have weather with highs in the teens in November. That's bearable.

It is common to have weather with highs below zero in February. That's unbearable.

Comment

I'd love to see the P5 schools in Iowa request to play in the Dome.

But I'll be really really surprised if that happens.

I just don't see them moving those games off campus and out of the stadiums they've invested in...particularly for large donor amenities.
                    Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

You can’t play games outside in Iowa city or Ames in January or February.

the fields would be frozen like concrete.

no way they play on that surface.

the Vikings paid to have heating coils build under TCF while new stadium was being built.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post

I’m sorry do you think you “got me” on this one? None of what you say has anything to do with UNI nor does it consider the final implications for FCS level football. I can guarantee viewership would not be “through the roof” for UNI vs Idaho State.
                        What’s your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudrafan View Post

What’s your point?
                          Lol. You’re a lot of things but you aren’t stupid. You just relish being deliberately obtuse. You said people are chomping at the bit for live sports. I’m saying that has nothing to do with UNI football. No one will give an ounce of a crap if UNI football comes back outside a subset of our fan base that hasn’t already been finding ways to stay away for years.

None of us give an ounce of a crap about Korean baseball...unless it’s the only option.

Comment

Originally posted by run&blade View Post
                            SEC will lead the way on football. They will be the first to have fans in the stands. They are the early states in opening backup so it only makes sense they will be first in football.

I would sign a waiver and wear a mask to watch UNI. Don’t sell concessions to help cut down on the risks.

tailgate in groups of 10 or less. Individuals need to use common sense and not depend on the government to help them defeat their own stupidity.

Unless you are willing to stay locked down until their is a vaccine you will have to take some risk. Just as you do when you drive a car or ride a bike in traffic.
                            This is such a lazy argument. You know what the people that make bikes and cars do? Continue to make them safer. You know what cities do? Create bike lanes. And stop lights.

We aren’t doing that for this pandemic. How about the richest country in the world tests the most per capita in the world instead of outside the top 40? How about we increase capacity to process tests? How about we use DPA to increase mask production? How about we design actual, implementable contact tracing tech? How about we stop acting like it’s just inevitable that we have to accept this much risk and that the only choices are binary when it literally doesn’t need to be this way?

Good lord, stop acting like this all is on the shoulders of the fan trying to decide whether they want to take a risk to go.

Football is probably going to happen in this country. That doesn’t mean we’ve done all we could have done to get there.

Comment

This is such a lazy argument. You know what the people that make bikes and cars do? Continue to make them safer. You know what cities do? Create bike lanes. And stop lights.

We aren’t doing that for this pandemic. How about the richest country in the world tests the most per capita in the world instead of outside the top 40? How about we increase capacity to process tests? How about we use DPA to increase mask production? How about we design actual, implementable contact tracing tech? How about we stop acting like it’s just inevitable that we have to accept this much risk and that the only choices are binary when it literally doesn’t need to be this way?

Good lord, stop acting like this all is on the shoulders of the fan trying to decide whether they want to take a risk to go.

Football is probably going to happen in this country. That doesn’t mean we’ve done all we could have done to get there.
                              Some of what you say makes sense (more tests, more mask production) . However, the amount of actual risk to the average, healthy, younger person is debatable. Also, contact tracing tech already exists in rudimentary form in your cell phone, but that leads to all kinds of big government / 1984 style arguments which have merit. Do you want the government knowing your every move? Once granted that power, big government will never give it up. In the end, it should be on the individual fan to decide on the risk, not bureaucrats.

Comment

Lol. You’re a lot of things but you aren’t stupid. You just relish being deliberately obtuse. You said people are chomping at the bit for live sports. I’m saying that has nothing to do with UNI football. No one will give an ounce of a crap if UNI football comes back outside a subset of our fan base that hasn’t already been finding ways to stay away for years.

None of us give an ounce of a crap about Korean baseball...unless it’s the only option.
                                What you are talking about has no relevance to what we were even discussing. Maybe you’ve been quarantining too long. I’d suggest getting out more and living life. About 85% of what’s been published about this thing (or more) is completely and totally way overblown. Heavy political bs and most wanting to stay in forever would quarantine for the common cold if given the chance

Comment

Working...
                                X