WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Football Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Born-a-Panther View Post

My son was playing in a Monday night basketball league here in CF. Myself and my family were the only ones wearing masks during the games. The gym was PACKED. Sure enough, two weeks into league play, his coach's daughter tested positive... shutting our team down. She has displayed absolutely zero symptoms, but now we're done playing.

It sucks. It all sucks. Wearing a mask is all we can do, folks.
    I stopped at the gas station on Sunday (first time in a couple weeks as my job is work from home) and I was the only customer inside the station besides employees with a mask. Frustrating as I wear a mask every time I go out in public.

Comment

• Another issue with testing is the price is killing a lot of people. My neighbor is in 14 day quarantine in his garage because he felt getting sick, mainly from allergies and Saharan storm, but had multiple COVID Symptoms, has yet to get test ($175) back 9 days in. Was told 2-7. Then they called the testing center on day 7, they told my neighbor, they forgot to test the kit and urged him to come in for another test ($175). They don't have the money for it even with insurance. Of course their business is not offering to cover any costs. So he is just in a miserable state trying to wait it out. I tend to believe others could be in the same boat. (And yes I am a good neighbor and offered to pay for it, but he hates handouts). Our kids hang out together which has put us in Q-time too, which sucks with a 14 month old!

Comment

• Originally posted by Purrrrrfect View Post
        Another issue with testing is the price is killing a lot of people. My neighbor is in 14 day quarantine in his garage because he felt getting sick, mainly from allergies and Saharan storm, but had multiple COVID Symptoms, has yet to get test ($175) back 9 days in. Was told 2-7. Then they called the testing center on day 7, they told my neighbor, they forgot to test the kit and urged him to come in for another test ($175). They don't have the money for it even with insurance. Of course their business is not offering to cover any costs. So he is just in a miserable state trying to wait it out. I tend to believe others could be in the same boat. (And yes I am a good neighbor and offered to pay for it, but he hates handouts). Our kids hang out together which has put us in Q-time too, which sucks with a 14 month old!
        I don't know about this situation, but I was tested last Thursday and got my results on Saturday. Didn't cost a dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purrrrrfect View Post
          Another issue with testing is the price is killing a lot of people. My neighbor is in 14 day quarantine in his garage because he felt getting sick, mainly from allergies and Saharan storm, but had multiple COVID Symptoms, has yet to get test ($175) back 9 days in. Was told 2-7. Then they called the testing center on day 7, they told my neighbor, they forgot to test the kit and urged him to come in for another test ($175). They don't have the money for it even with insurance. Of course their business is not offering to cover any costs. So he is just in a miserable state trying to wait it out. I tend to believe others could be in the same boat. (And yes I am a good neighbor and offered to pay for it, but he hates handouts). Our kids hang out together which has put us in Q-time too, which sucks with a 14 month old!
          You may not live near one, but aren’t the Test Iowa sites free, with far faster results? Wherever your neighbor got the test sounds like a bunch of incompetent idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by havok58 View Post
            As for the number of positive cases rising, how many are false positives? A person at my work (who I have very little contact with) tested positive. Others around her went on the 10 day quarantine as well. Just as precaution and out of curiosity I went to get tested at the Test Iowa site. Now I always wear a mask, practice social distancing to the utmost degree, have had no symptoms, and my result came back positive. So a few days later I got tested again and it came back negative.

with inconsistent test results like that, who do you trust. Just keep practicing preventive measures and use common sense.
            Test Site Iowa is having issues, according to a piece in the Gazette last week:

"'Wahls is one of hundreds of Iowans who had “unusable' Test Iowa test results last week. Stephen Pradarelli, a spokesman for the State Hygienic Lab, confirmed there was a spike in unusable Test Iowa tests the week of June 15.

'A large part of it was due to a malfunction of a piece of equipment in the lab used to process the tests; an issue that’s since been fixed,' Pradarelli wrote Wednesday in an email. 'Another subset of the tests deemed unusable was based on leaked samples and SHL is taking steps to follow up on those issues as well.'"

And the company that created the test being used is being sued, accused of lying about the accuracy of their testing to drive up stock prices.

CRGazette: "'Unusable' coronavirus tests results plague Test Iowa"

entire read:
            When state Sen. Zach Wahls wanted to get tested for COVID-19, he filled out an online assessment through TestIowa.com, the …
            "Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

• I have gone through TestIowa twice first time was inconclusive(personal dr got me a test very next day and had result a day later) second time came back negative next day. Have paid for nothing out of pocket and never put insurance Info. Now possible that the drs test was charged but I never got an eob from the insurance company. Boss and his wife and my wife all had their results within 48 hours.
              Oh, and let me make this perfectly clear to you people: you go to UNI, NOT IOWA. The Hawkeyes and their fans do not give a crap if you remain "true to them" or some stupid self-fulfulling bullcrap like that.-OTP

What i say are my opinions and mine alone, and not that of anyone associated with me.

Comment

• The Test Iowa sites are mostly for show. There problems, and corruption, behind them, the way they were created, the way they got hooked into Iowa on a no bid contract, and the company behind them are all beyond shady.

Test Utah is the same thing and have had major issues out there as well.

My wife and I have both been tested. I was in the ER and they just test everyone there and my wife was done at a local clinic. I will end up getting another one before a procedure I'm having done as the hospital requires it.

The only issues I've ever heard of (limited sample size) are from TestIowa sites.

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

You may not live near one, but aren’t the Test Iowa sites free, with far faster results? Wherever your neighbor got the test sounds like a bunch of incompetent idiots.
                  That's Texas for ya. Afterall, the Gov just today decided now is a good time to mandate masks All the time now in qny place with more than 20 cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by DomeIsHome View Post

I don't know about this situation, but I was tested last Thursday and got my results on Saturday. Didn't cost a dime.
                    Wish i had a better answer. Austin, TX..land of money and the rich getting richer.

Comment

• I posted this on another site but figured it could help us get back on track. Here are my biased and partisan MVFC Power Rankings as characters from the Brady Bunch:

(1) North Dakota State -- Mike Brady -- He's Daddy. The family leader. The who shows us all how things should be done and even when he fails he succeeds! He doesn't capture his awards and recognition through flashy, superficial traits that just look good, Mike works hard, shows world-class integrity and earns everything he has because he's simply the best. He runs into a few obstacles along the way, but as he shows Peter, sometimes losing the National Championship and getting fired is a way of life. That doesn't mean your run is over. Sometimes the Gary Cole version of NDSU comes along to troll your memory of Robert Reed by talking in circles and turns that make you roll your eyes...but he's still right...and you have to accept that.

(T-2) Northern Iowa -- Marcia Brady -- Even though they're not the best Brady, others would kill to be in their position, even if Marcia won't admit it. Through it all their internal-DEFENSE is still their strongest attribute. She shows lots of other great qualities but that defense (and ability the beat herself) is always there, ready to humble others or humble herself. Her hard-nosed All-American defense is the model that other girls strive for. And after all the injuries UNI took to the TE/WR position last year by October offensive footage for the Panthers looked like a Marcia Brady highlight reel.

(T-2) South Dakota State -- Jan Brady -- Internal-defense is just as much a part of Jan's personality as Marcia's. While SDSU is jealous of the attention and recognition that others get she has a lot going for her. She's witty, sassy and ready to hit you with a comeback in retaliation to anything thrown her way. Jan and Marcia may look different but they're remarkably similar and, all-things-considered essentially equals in my eyes. More often than not I'll probably default to the consistent reliability of Jan, but Marcia has that star power that draws you in.

(4) Illinois State -- Greg Brady -- Greg is the cool, popular, star-athlete at Westdale with plenty of flash and admirers. Sure, he has his faults as he can be arrogant, occasionally lusting after that which he doesn't have (they came SOOO close to that music career in 2015!) but he's a pretty good guy. He's trying his hardest to be independent and set himself apart from the rest of the kids but he's just not quite there, someday though...someday.

(5) Southern Illinois -- Carol Brady -- She might not gain the recognition of some of the other Brady's and NDSU was the leader of the original Great West family members, SIU was the leader of the original Missouri Valley/Gateway crew when the two merged. Carol pushes everyone else to be better and when you look closely at her mysterious story (Saluki's are child-eating, murder dogs from ancient Egypt and Middle East who look like their ears could allow them to fly) she is liberated, independent and beautiful. She may be a stay at home mom for now, and her best years may be in her past, she still plays a big role in everything and when given her chance she'll shine!

(6) Indiana State -- Alice -- Self-deprecating, fun-loving, sky blue. What better way to describe the legacy of Alice. As new family members have joined the MVFC, the Sycamores have stuck around are still here, supportive, caring, eager to get in dry-zinger to lift our spirits. They're capable enough but occasionally the physicality of the conference is too much for them and they...take a bit of a break from winning. But don't get( me wrong there's no replacing the Sycamores (can't speak to whether they've considered quitting or we've explored other options...) and they hold a special place in our heart.

(7) Youngstown State -- Tiger -- He was such a good boy who had a great run in the early days. That dominating run in the 90's put Jim Tressel and Tiger in our hearts, but a tragic car accident, by which I mean cars and cash magically appeared to YSU's star players and prompted investigations took away his glory days. Youngstown State tried to resurrect their 90's success with a replacement Tiger but after the school admitted to a lack of institutional control over Tiger's "unpredictable" behavior they cut ties to their championships (at least they got to keep the dog house). Other pets came and went in the Brady household with mixed success, including a 2016 championship appearance, but otherwise it's been a far cry from the days of Tiger.

(8) Western Illinois -- Peter Brady -- Is there anything special about Western Illinois? Did you even remember that they were in the MVFC? They've had some good moments and aren't the worst program by a long shot...but there's nothing memorable either, no spark, no pizzazz, no...personality. We can only hope that WIU glows up similarly to Peter, he does get pretty dreamy eventually.

(9) South Dakota ---- Cindy Brady -- You feel bad for Cindy. She's cute and sweet and it must be hard taking all those losses, year after year, trying to achieve fame and overcome that lisp. You cheer for her and you think she's finally done it, she going to make the PLAYOFFS aaannnnddd...ooof...maybe next time.

(10) Missouri State -- Bobby Brady -- Let's face it, Bobby sucks. He's always dreaming of an adventurous and glamorous life with no real aspirations of achieving it. But hey, remember that one time he was almost .500 (Joe Namath!). Boy that was cool, but overall he has dumb ideas (seriously, Bobby Petrino is going to help you get taller???) and ruins everything.

(HM) North Dakota -- Cousin Oliver -- I mean, I guess they're in the family as the newest addition. Did we need them? No. Do we want them? Meh. Do they bring new life to the conference? Not really. Will they be our "jump-the shark moment"? Dear god I hope not.

Comment

• Yeah this whole post is flying right over my head. Anything sitcom older than Seinfeld and I've got nothing.

the effort is appreciated though

Comment

• Originally posted by sevelev711 View Post
                          Yeah this whole post is flying right over my head. Anything sitcom older than Seinfeld and I've got nothing.

the effort is appreciated though
                          Seinfeld? Really? I feel so sorry for you youngsters. Some good TV way before Seinfeld. At least you have Netflix.

Comment

• Nothing official yet, but the Iowa game is looking less likely.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/ten-g...ikely-for-2020

This fact appears to be coming into focus: Non-conference games will be punted and the Big Ten appears headed to playing a 10-game, conference-games-only schedule.

“Yes, it hasn’t been officially decided,” said a Power 5 head coach. “We have a big meeting tomorrow (Thursday, July 9). But, yeah, it just seems to me that probably in the last week and a half, I could just kind of tell from the tone of our leadership that that's the direction that they want it to go and felt most comfortable going. Nothing has been decided. Nothing's official. But I would be surprised if it's not that.

Comment

• If that happens, cancel Idaho State and Weber, get Drake on the horn for 9/19 (down there even) and play the league schedule.

Or we could just play all 10 other league schools.
                              #MACtion

Comment

• Not on UNI's schedule, but the Ivies just cancelled the 2020 season:

"Well, that escalated quickly."

Comment

Working...
                                X