WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Football Season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance of a last minute switch to UNI-ISU? I don't suppose the open days match. The bye weeks?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skej75 View Post
      Any chance of a last minute switch to UNI-ISU? I don't suppose the open days match. The bye weeks?
      Great idea but I doubt there is any college football. The fear is too great now.

Comment

• Not to beat a dead, negative horse, but I heard tonight there’s a good chance that college basketball won’t start until after January 1st. That’s from someone with MVC connections who would be in a position to know. Take that for what it’s worth.

Comment

• in terms of covid 19, what is accomplished by playing games of only big ten conference opponents?

Comment

• No one likes to rip on the Squawks more than me...but this isn't their fault and I'm sure they'd rather play the game.

It's a conference decision and they have to follow suit.

I guess the logic here is that it ensures you have consistent testing protocol in place for all opponents.

I think the real advantage will be the ability to modify the schedule mid-year when interruptions occur.

And for that reason specifically, I think everyone will go to conference only schedules for this season.
            ​​​​​​
            Assuming we get on the field at all. I think spring is the best bet, which will present a ton of problems but beats not playing at all.
            ​​​​​
            Last edited by Blue42; 07-10-2020, 07:51 AM.
            Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
              in terms of covid 19, what is accomplished by playing games of only big ten conference opponents?
              perhaps the conference can mandate stricter testing policies for its teams, thus giving the illusion that playing conference games is some degree safer than playing games against teams from other conferences that don't have as strict a testing policy.
              And the conference can divert some of the ridiculous amount of media/TV money it is given to help pay for the stricter testing program, where as many other conferences don't have that kind of money to spend

Comment

• Originally posted by Neighbor View Post
                in terms of covid 19, what is accomplished by playing games of only big ten conference opponents?
                Absolutely nothing. Fans wont be able to go to the games so that revenue is gone and they don’t want to pay to have those teams come in anymore. Purely a financial decision disguised as a covid/safety decision.
                UNI FIGHT

Originally posted by 9YRPLAN
                iowa sucks, fran sucks, their schedule sucks, iowa fans suck

Comment

• Weird, You would think they could have cancelled the conference season and only played non-conference games. That way none of their teams would have ever had to leave home.
                  Number of times on Sports Illustrated cover:
                  Ben Jacobson coached teams = 2
                  UNI teams coached by everyone ban thinks is better = 0

Comment

• Originally posted by 06panther10 View Post

Absolutely nothing. Fans wont be able to go to the games so that revenue is gone and they don’t want to pay to have those teams come in anymore. Purely a financial decision disguised as a covid/safety decision.
                    Actually the reasoning is sound given the circumstances. Blue42 gives a nice summation above. Everyone is making this up as they go.

Comment

• BYU has had 5 games cancelled. All of September is open on their schedule.

Notre Dame is soon to follow

Comment

• Originally posted by Trapped in California View Post
                        BYU has had 5 games cancelled. All of September is open on their schedule.

Notre Dame is soon to follow
                        that'll happen, join a conference you nerds

Comment

• We have a contract with Iowa, don't they have to pay us even if they back out? I suppose there might be an act of God clause, but C-19 and the terrible handling of it in the U.S. is not an act of God. Don't see how they could use many excuses if they do play their conference schedule, it's absurd to claim that represents less risk to the athletes than non-con games. I suppose UNI would settle for being put on the schedule in a later year.
                          GO PANTHERS!

Comment

• Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                            We have a contract with Iowa, don't they have to pay us even if they back out? I suppose there might be an act of God clause, but C-19 and the terrible handling of it in the U.S. is not an act of God. Don't see how they could use many excuses if they do play their conference schedule, it's absurd to claim that represents less risk to the athletes than non-con games. I suppose UNI would settle for being put on the schedule in a later year.
                            unless one has seen what the actual contract says, one can't really quibble about the details of said contract.
                            perhaps there is a clause in the contract that covers "acts of the conference" as well as "acts of God".

And in any case, the contract would likely use the term "force majeure" instead of "act of God". While you could have a theological debate about whether the covid pandemic is an "act of God" or not, it is rather obvious that it is a "force majeure" (though even if something is obvious, that won't stop lawyers from arguing about it)

Comment

• Originally posted by GonzoCat View Post
                              We have a contract with Iowa, don't they have to pay us even if they back out? I suppose there might be an act of God clause, but C-19 and the terrible handling of it in the U.S. is not an act of God. Don't see how they could use many excuses if they do play their conference schedule, it's absurd to claim that represents less risk to the athletes than non-con games. I suppose UNI would settle for being put on the schedule in a later year.
                              Find The Courier article.

There's a clause about the game being unable to be played because of situations out of institutional control. Because the Big Ten isn't allowing non-league games, it's out of Iowa's control. We aren't getting a dime.
                              #MACtion

Comment

• Originally posted by BCPanther View Post

Find The Courier article.

There's a clause about the game being unable to be played because of situations out of institutional control. Because the Big Ten isn't allowing non-league games, it's out of Iowa's control. We aren't getting a dime.
                                It's a strange article using pre-Iowa data and then infusing the Iowa news into it without further calculation. Harris' quotes are tone deaf, imo. Like, i get that you're upset and the program is on life support...but there's no way they didnt see this coming. And if they didn't...what were they up to the last few months? Maybe too busy working out the details from the last line of the article about a plan for fans? Huh? Fans in stands in indoor arenas/domes aint happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X