WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kurt Warner - How is his relationship with the University?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurt Warner - How is his relationship with the University?

Back when I was in college the UNI Dome had big banners of Bryce Paup and Joey Woody but not Kurt Warner. It always made me wonder if there was animosity between the two parties since Kurt didn't start until his 5th year. Is that still the case?

Here is a podcast where he talks more about his UNI days. Seems to speak fondly of his time but I know he's a competitive guy.
    http://traffic.libsyn.com/moonlightg...arnerFinal.mp3

I would think the fact we didn't offer his son a football scholarship probably didn't help....

Comment

Originally posted by GoPanthers85 View Post
      I would think the fact we didn't offer his son a football scholarship probably didn't help....
      His son isn't better than the group of receivers we have...
      #MACtion

Comment

Did any D1 school offer him? 24/7 Sports says no.

Comment

when those posters were up, was Warner still active in the NFL while Paup and Woody had retired? Would that have perhaps made some sort of difference when it came to licensing?

Comment

It would be nice if he and someone on the NFL Draft broadcast would mention his college affiliation.

Comment

I've always felt like he has been closer to the UNI basketball program compared to UNI football. Not sure if he has a better relationship with them? Maybe I have missed his football comments? I've seen him comment about Coach Jake and players. He usually makes it to watch the games as well.

Comment

I don't know if he's resentful of the program. As UNIhoops pointed out he's very supportive of the basketball program. We have to remember that he is usually pretty busy in the fall and winter with his broadcasting gig. As for putting him in the HOF, I'm all for it but he had one great season. How many UNI HOFers had just one great season and rode the bench the rest of their career?
                "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                  I don't know if he's resentful of the program. As UNIhoops pointed out he's very supportive of the basketball program. We have to remember that he is usually pretty busy in the fall and winter with his broadcasting gig. As for putting him in the HOF, I'm all for it but he had one great season. How many UNI HOFers had just one great season and rode the bench the rest of their career?
                  Probably none that then went on to be a multiple time MVP of the NFL.
                  #MACtion

Comment

Exactly. Being in the Football Hall of Fame means he's good enough to be in the UNI Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyPanther88 View Post
                      Is Flacco in the Delaware HoF?
                      He only played 2 seasons there, and one of those was a year where they went 5-6
                      (looks like he was inducted in their 2016 HoF class)

Comment

This topic is one of the perennial ones on this board. Usually at some point someone with actual knowledge weighs in after much speculation among the experts of PN and a few anecdotal tales of "I know a guy whose cousin was a backup lineman on the team when Warner was here and he said...."

Bottom line is Warner's relationship with UNI and the football team is fine. He has given more money to the school than anyone on here ever will, he has endowed at least one football scholarship. A lot of people seem to think until he makes a 5 or 10 million dollar gift he must hate the panthers. He is not bitter towards UNI. His path between college football and professional stardom is so unusual there has never been another one like it and never will be. He would be entitled to feel he doesn't owe his success directly to UNI, if he feels that way, which I don't know. Most of us do owe whatever professional success we achieve more directly to UNI. We have our first job in our field of study lined up before we graduate or shortly thereafter.
                        GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Gonzo, while your overall message about Kurt being supportive of UNI athletics is correct, your statement that "he has given more money to the school than anyone on here ever will" is factually incorrect.

Comment

That's a good point. We know Mudra's given a couple million himself.

Comment

Mudra is bankrolling at least 50% of the FB team, coaching staff and cheer squad...therefore Ben Jacobson needs to tell those darn basket-ballers to stop chucking 3's

Comment

Working...
                              X