WWW.PANTHERNATION.COM
GO PANTHERS!
welcome

Welcome to the best UNI Panther forum on the net!

Become a PN Supporting Member! Get exclusive access to the Panther Den forum and more. Click here for info.

30-minute show exclusively highlighting UNI Athletics. Click here for info.

• You need to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
  • To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the help page by clicking this link.
  • If you have any questions please use the Contact Us form.
This website is not affiliated with the University of Northern Iowa or the UNI Panther Athletic Program.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kurt Warner - How is his relationship with the University?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panther AC View Post
    Gonzo, while your overall message about Kurt being supportive of UNI athletics is correct, your statement that "he has given more money to the school than anyone on here ever will" is factually incorrect.
    Okay, you're right. I don't know the identity of many on here anymore, and I don't know their level of support for UNI, so I shouldn't make a blanket statement like that. Let me rephrase it to something I feel fairly comfortable with. Kurt Warner has given more money to UNI than any of the posters on here who complain that he hasn't done enough ever will. Of course I can't really say that with 100% confidence either I guess.

Okay last try - Kurt Warner has given more money to UNI than I have, so I got no complaints.
    GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Kade Warner started a handful of games at Nebraska last year as a sophomore walk-on so he is more than good enough to play here.

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherhelmet View Post
        Kade Warner started a handful of games at Nebraska last year as a sophomore walk-on so he is more than good enough to play here.
        and if he was interested in walking on at UNI, they likely would have let him

Comment

And pass up preferred walk-on offers at Iowa, Nebraska, Arizona State and UCLA.

Comment

Originally posted by Leatherhelmet View Post
            Totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by vbfan19 View Post
              and if he was interested in walking on at UNI, they likely would have let him
              Exactly. He chose Nebraska. The kid selected what was best for him. Everything I have read about Kade has suggested he doesn't seem comfortable with comparisons to his dad which is why he is a wide receiver. Possibly a factor in not coming to UNI (don't know; his business). Let him take his own path.

Warner's youngest son Elijah (EJ) is a QB. I believe he will be a HS junior this year. A future topic for PN.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post

Exactly. He chose Nebraska. The kid selected what was best for him. Everything I have read about Kade has suggested he doesn't seem comfortable with comparisons to his dad which is why he is a wide receiver. Possibly a factor in not coming to UNI (don't know; his business). Let him take his own path.

Warner's youngest son Elijah (EJ) is a QB. I believe he will be a HS junior this year. A future topic for PN.
                I would think as long as money isn't an issue - which it isn't for the Warners - a player would prefer to walk on at a FBS school rather than get a scholarship (full or partial) to a FCS school.
                "And immediately, (P'Allen Stinnett's) Facebook status was spouting vulgarities towards the university."

Comment

Not that Nebraska is all that good of a football team these days.
                  But I suppose a bad Big Ten team is still more appealing to recruits than an above-average-but-not-top-of-the-pack FCS team.

Comment

Kade Warner turned down a scholarship to UC San Diego. The team UNI beat in the first round of the 2019 playoffs.
                    Last edited by panthergirl123; 05-05-2020, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panthergirl123 View Post
                      Kade Warner turned down a scholarship to UC San Diego. The team UNI beat in the first round of the 2019 playoffs.
                      That's the University of San Diego which is a non-scholarship FCS program...like Drake.

Although I'm sure there was some sort of financial package.
                      ​​​​​​

Winning is more fun than losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post

That's the University of San Diego which is a non-scholarship FCS program...like Drake.

Although I'm sure there was some sort of financial package.
                        ​​​​​​

Oops. My bad. No biggie. Anyhow, kid had FCS and BCS options.

Comment

I'm rooting for the kid. I don't have any negative thoughts at all toward Kurt or Kade. I'm a fan.

But I don't believe he had any scholarship offers...FCS or FBS...out of high school.

He's done well for the Huskers. Not a star...but a legit contributor.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue42 View Post
                            I'm rooting for the kid. I don't have any negative thoughts at all toward Kurt or Kade. I'm a fan.

But I don't believe he had any scholarship offers...FCS or FBS...out of high school.

He's done well for the Huskers. Not a star...but a legit contributor.
                            Which means he was good enough to warrant offers from UNI, most FCS, and some P5 schools. Football recruiting is often more art than science, so guys fall thru the cracks. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinPizza View Post

Which means he was good enough to warrant offers from UNI, most FCS, and some P5 schools. Football recruiting is often more art than science, so guys fall thru the cracks. It happens.
                              I agree that recruiting is inexact. And it doesn't matter how good people think you are when you arrive...it's how good you are when you leave. That is largely what UNI football is based on.

Was the kid good enough to warrant offers of partial or full FCS scholarships or even full FBS scholarships? In retrospect his performance would say yes.

All that said, in actuality he did not receive any.

It was never about the money. Kurt's got plenty of money to pay the tab. Kurt's point during the recruiting process was that he wanted Kade to get a scholarship because walk-ons tend to get less attention from the coaching staff and less chance to break the line up than scholarship players. He overcame that at Lincoln.

In true Warner-family style...he did it the hard way.

Comment

All I know is it's a darn shame that no matter how well he performs at Nebraska his father won't ever be able to watch him in person. Kurt's job makes it impossible for him to attend a college football game in the fall.
                                GO PANTHERS!

Comment

Working...
                                X